Subscribe to RSS
QS ENDO Pilot – A Study by the Stiftung Endometrioseforschung (SEF) on the Quality of Care Provided to Patients with Endometriosis in Certified Endometriosis Centers in the DACH RegionArticle in several languages: English | deutsch
Introduction Endometriosis significantly reduces patientsʼ quality of life and is additionally a burden on healthcare and social security systems. There are currently no quality indicators for the treatment of endometriosis. The care of patients with endometriosis must be considered inadequate. QS ENDO aims to record the quality of care available in the DACH region and to introduce quality indicators for the diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis as part of providing quality assurance in endometriosis care. The first phase, QS ENDO Real, recorded the reality of current care using a questionnaire. The second phase, QS ENDO Pilot, investigated the treatment of 435 patients who underwent surgical treatment within a defined one month period in certified endometriosis centers.
Material and Methods An online tool was used to gather information about 9 points which covered both prior patient history and the process of clinical diagnosis. Surgery reports were reviewed to obtain information about the surgical approach, the investigated sites, findings of any histological examinations, the use of classification systems, and information about resection status.
Results 85.3% of patients were asked all 4 questions about their prior medical history. All 5 diagnostic steps were carried out in 34.5% of patients. The 3 areas needed to describe potential sites of disease were recorded in 67.1% of patients. Samples for histological examination were taken in 84.1% of patients. The endometriosis stage was classified in 94.7% of surgeries. A combination of the rASRM and the ENZIAN classifications, which is needed for complex cases, was used in 46.1% of patients. Complete resection was achieved in 81.6% of surgical procedures.
Conclusion For the first time, the quality of care in certified endometriosis centers has been recorded using QS ENDO Pilot. Despite the high certification standards, a substantial number of required indicators were omitted.
* Members of the QS Endo Working Group who attended the Weissensee conferences of the SEF in 2016, 2017, and 2018: Dubravko Barisic, Alexander Boosz, Claus-Peter Cornelius, Iris Brandes, Klaus Bühler, Gerald Fischerlehner, Nannette Grübling, Elisabeth Janschek, Bernhard Krämer, Anna Kubus, Ivo Meinhold-Heerlein, Frank Oehmke, Peter Oppelt, Ralf Rothmund, Darius Salehin, Chi Mi Scheible, Miriam Schempershofe, Vanadin Seifert-Klauss, Omar Shebl, Kathrin Steinberger, Daniela Söffge, Sigrid Vingerhagen-Pethick, Peter Widschwendter, Pauline Wimberger, Monika Wölfler, Felix Zeppernick, Magdalena Zeppernick.
Received: 13 January 2023
Accepted after revision: 19 March 2023
Article published online:
23 May 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commecial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Sampson JA. Peritoneal endometriosis due to the menstrual dissemination of endometrial tissue into the peritoneal cavity. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1927; 14: 422-469 DOI: 10.1016/S0002-9378(15)30003-X.
- 2 Burney RO, Giudice LC. Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of endometriosis. Fertil Steril 2012; 98: 511-519 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.06.029.
- 3 Mowers EL, Lim CS, Skinner B. et al. Prevalence of endometriosis during abdominal or laparoscopic hysterectomy for chronic pelvic pain. Obstet Gynecol 2016; 127: 1045-1053
- 4 Koninckx PR, Ussia A, Adamyan L. et al. The epidemiology of endometriosis is poorly known as the pathophysiology and diagnosis are unclear. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2021; 71: 14-26 DOI: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2020.08.005.
- 5 Anglesio MS, Papadopoulos N, Ayhan A. et al. Cancer-Associated Mutations in Endometriosis without Cancer. N Engl J Med 2017; 376: 1835-1848 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1614814.
- 6 Pearce CL, Templeman C, Rossing MA. et al. Association between endometriosis and risk of histological subtypes of ovarian cancer: A pooled analysis of case-control studies. Lancet Oncol 2012; 13: 385-394 DOI: 10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70404-1.
- 7 Grandi G, Toss A, Cortesi L. et al. The Association between Endometriomas and Ovarian Cancer: Preventive Effect of Inhibiting Ovulation and Menstruation during Reproductive Life. Biomed Res Int 2015; DOI: 10.1155/2015/751571.
- 8 Krawczyk N, Banys-Paluchowski M, Schmidt D. et al. Endometriosis-associated Malignancy. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 2016; 76: 176-181 DOI: 10.1055/s-0035-1558239.
- 9 Saavalainen L, Lassus H, But A. et al. Risk of Gynecologic Cancer According to the Type of Endometriosis. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 131: 1095-1102 DOI: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000002624.
- 10 De Graaff AA, DʼHooghe TM, Dunselman GAJ. et al. The significant effect of endometriosis on physical, mental and social wellbeing: Results from an international cross-sectional survey. Hum Reprod 2013; 28: 2677-2685 DOI: 10.1093/humrep/det284.
- 11 Facchin F, Barbara G, Saita E. et al. Impact of endometriosis on quality of life and mental health: pelvic pain makes the difference. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 2015; 36: 135-141 DOI: 10.3109/0167482X.2015.1074173.
- 12 Kolodziej M, Uhl E, Schwarm F. et al. Interdisciplinary Laparoscopic Implantation of Neuromodulation Leads to the Sacral Plexus for Therapy of Chronic Pelvic Pain and Neurogenic Bladder Dysfunctions. Neuromodulation 2020; 23: 1151-1157 DOI: 10.1111/ner.13157.
- 13 Simoens S, Dunselman G, Dirksen C. et al. The burden of endometriosis: Costs and quality of life of women with endometriosis and treated in referral centres. Hum Reprod 2012; 27: 1292-1299 DOI: 10.1093/humrep/des073.
- 14 Becker CM, Bokor A, Heikinheimo O. et al. ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group. ESHRE guideline: endometriosis. Hum Reprod Open 2022; 2022: hoac009 DOI: 10.1093/hropen/hoac009.
- 15 Nisenblat V, Bossuyt PM, Shaikh R. et al. Blood biomarkers for the non-invasive diagnosis of endometriosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; (05) CD012179 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD012179.
- 16 Bendifallah S, Suisse S, Puchar A. et al. Salivary MicroRNA Signature for Diagnosis of Endometriosis. Accessed May 01, 2023 at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8836532/pdf/jcm-11-00612.pdf
- 17 Nnoaham KE, Hummelshoj L, Webster P. et al. Impact of endometriosis on quality of life and work productivity: A multicenter study across ten countries. Fertil Steril 2011; 96: 366-373.e8 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2011.05.090.
- 18 Hudelist G, Fritzer N, Thomas A. et al. Diagnostic delay for endometriosis in Austria and Germany: causes and possible consequences. Hum Reprod 2012; 27: 3412-3416 DOI: 10.1093/humrep/des316.
- 19 Staal AHJ, Van Der Zanden M, Nap AW. Diagnostic Delay of Endometriosis in the Netherlands. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2016; 81: 321-324 DOI: 10.1159/000441911.
- 20 Zalewski M, Zeppernick F, Wölfler MM. et al. Pattern of Endometriosis Care in German-speaking Countries: the QS ENDO Project. J Reproduktionsmed Endokrinol 2017; 14: 311-312
- 21 du Bois A, Rochon J, Lamparter C. et al. [The Quality Assurance Program of the AGO Organkommission OVAR (QS-OVAR): Pattern of Care and Reality in Germany 2001]. Zentralbl Gynakol 2005; 127: 9-17 DOI: 10.1055/s-2005-836289.
- 22 Harter P, Pfisterer J, Hilpert F. et al. Therapiequalität des fortgeschrittenen Ovarialkarzinoms in Deutschland. Frauenarzt 2020; 61: 182-188
- 23 Munoz KA, Harlan LC, Trimble EL. Patterns of care for women with ovarian cancer in the United States. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 3408-3415
- 24 Schweppe KW, Ebert AD, Kiesel L. Endometriosezentren und Qualitätsmanagement. Gynäkologe 2010; 43: 233-240 DOI: 10.1007/s00129-009-2484-x.
- 25 Zeppernick F, Zeppernick M, Janschek E. et al. QS ENDO Real – A Study by the German Endometriosis Research Foundation (SEF) on the Reality of Care for Patients with Endometriosis in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 2020; 80: 179-189 DOI: 10.1055/a-1068-9260.
- 26 Ulrich U, Buchweitz O, Greb R. et al. German and Austrian Societies for Obstetrics and Gynecology. National German Guideline (S2k): Guideline for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Endometriosis: Long Version – AWMF Registry No. 015–045. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 2014; 74: 1104-1118 DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1383187.
- 27 Revised American Society for Reproductive Medicine classification of endometriosis: 1996. Fertil Steril 1997; 67: 817-821
- 28 Tuttlies F, Keckstein J, Ulrich U. et al. [ENZIAN-score, a classification of deep infiltrating endometriosis]. Zentralbl Gynakol 2005; 127: 275-281 DOI: 10.1055/s-2005-836904.
- 29 Ferron G, Martinez A, Gladieff L. et al. Adherence to guidelines in gynecologic cancer surgery. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2014; 24: 1675-1678 DOI: 10.1097/IGC.0000000000000284.
- 30 Bourdel N, Alves J, Pickering G. et al. Systematic review of endometriosis pain assessment: how to choose a scale?. Hum Reprod Update 2015; 21: 136-152 DOI: 10.1093/humupd/dmu046.
- 31 Burghaus S, Schäfer SD, Beckmann MW. et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Endometriosis. Guideline of the DGGG, SGGG and OEGGG (S2k Level, AWMF Registry Number 015/045, August 2020) Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 2021; 81: 422-446 DOI: 10.1055/a-1380-3693.
- 32 Chen YH, Wang DB, Guo CS. Accuracy of Physical Examination, Transvaginal Sonography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and Rectal Endoscopic Sonography for Preoperative Evaluation of Rectovaginal Endometriosis. Ultrasound Q 2019; 35: 54-60 DOI: 10.1097/RUQ.0000000000000428.
- 33 Mangler M, Medrano N, Bartley J. et al. Value of diagnostic procedures in rectovaginal endometriosis. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2013; 53: 389-394 DOI: 10.1111/ajo.12108.
- 34 Palla VV, Karaolanis G, Katafigiotis I. et al. Ureteral endometriosis: A systematic literature review. Indian J Urol 2017; 33: 276-282 DOI: 10.4103/iju.IJU_84_17.
- 35 Langebrekke A, Qvigstad E. Ureteral endometriosis and loss of renal function: Mechanisms and interpretations. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2011; 90: 1164-1166
- 36 Soriano D, Schonman R, Nadu A. et al. Multidisciplinary Team Approach to Management of Severe Endometriosis Affecting the Ureter: Long-term Outcome Data and Treatment Algorithm. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2011; 18: 483-488 DOI: 10.1016/j.jmig.2011.04.011.
- 37 Kaveh M, Tahermanesh K, Kashi AM. et al. Endometriosis of Diaphragm: A Case Report. Int J Fertil Steril 2018; 12: 263-266 DOI: 10.22074/ijfs.2018.5379.
- 38 Gustofson RL, Kim N, Liu S. et al. Endometriosis and the appendix: a case series and comprehensive review of the literature. Fertil Steril 2006; 86: 298-303 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.12.076.
- 39 Keckstein J, Saridogan E, Ulrich UA. et al. The #Enzian classification: A comprehensive non-invasive and surgical description system for endometriosis. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2021; 100: 1165-1175
- 40 Chapron C, Marcellin L, Borghese B. et al. Rethinking mechanisms, diagnosis and management of endometriosis. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2019; 15: 666-682 DOI: 10.1038/s41574-019-0245-z.