Special Considerations in the Management of Osteomyelitis Defects (Diabetes, the Ischemic or Dysvascular Bed, and Irradiation)
30 April 2009 (online)
Although osteomyelitis is a difficult problem, certain conditions make it even more difficult to address. Diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, and radiation are all comorbidities that interfere with wound healing and therefore make the treatment of osteomyelitis challenging. In this article, we discuss these conditions, their pathophysiology, and highlight the special considerations in treating osteomyelitis in patients with these comorbidities.
Osteomyelitis - diabetes - peripheral vascular disease - radiation - wound healing
- 1 Frykberg R G. Epidemiology of the diabetic foot: ulcerations and amputations. Adv Wound Care. 1999; 12 139-141
- 2 Hill S L, Holtzman G I, Buse R. Effects of peripheral vascular disease with osteomyelitis in the diabetic foot. Am J Surg. 1999; 177 282-286
- 3 Cohen M, Roman A, Malcolm W G. Panmetatarsal head resection and transmetatarsal amputation vs. solitary partial ray resection in the neuropathic foot. J Foot Surg. 1991; 30 29-33
- 4 Levine M E, Lawrence W O, Bowker J G. The Diabetic Foot. St. Louis, MO; Mosby 1993
- 5 Wiersema-Bryant L A, Kraemer B A.
Vascular and neuropathic wounds: the diabetic wound. In: Bryant RA Acute and Chronic Wounds: Nursing Management. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO; Mosby 2007: 305-335
- 6 Nishimoto G S, Attinger C E, Cooper P S. Lengthening the Achilles tendon for the treatment of diabetic plantar forefoot ulceration. Surg Clin North Am. 2003; 83 707-726
- 7 Caputo G M, Cavanagh P R, Ulbrecht J S, Gibbons G W, Karchmer A W. Assessment and management of foot disease in patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med. 1994; 331 854-860
- 8 Reddy G K. Glucose-mediated in vitro glycation modulates biomechanical integrity of the soft tissues but not hard tissues. J Orthop Res. 2003; 21 738-743
- 9 Milgram J W. Osteomyelitis in the foot and ankle associated with diabetes mellitus. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; 296 50-57
- 10 Schon L C, Easley M E, Weinfeld S B. Charcot neuroarthropathy of the foot and ankle. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; 349 116-131
- 11 Lipsky B A. Foot ulceration and infections in elderly diabetics. Clin Geriatr Med. 1990; 6 747-769
- 12 Lipsky B A, Berendt A R, Deery H G et al.. Diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot infections. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 117(Suppl) 212S-238S
- 13 Lew D P, Waldvogel F A. Osteomyelitis. N Engl J Med. 1997; 336 999-1007
- 14 Grayson M L, Gibbons G W, Balogh K et al.. Probing to bone in infected pedal ulcers: a clinical sign of underlying osteomyelitis in diabetic patients. JAMA. 1995; 273 721-723
- 15 Shone A, Burnside J, Chipchase S, Game F, Jeffcoate W. Probing the validity of the probe-to-bone test in the diagnosis of osteomyelitis of the foot in diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006; 29 945
- 16 Armstrong D G, Lavery L A, Sariaya M, Ashry H. Leukocytosis is a poor indicator of acute osteomyelitis of the foot in diabetes mellitus. J Foot Ankle Surg. 1996; 35 280-283
- 17 Lipsky B A. Osteomyelitis of the foot in diabetic patients. Clin Infect Dis. 1997; 25 1318-1326
- 18 Newman L G. Imaging techniques in the diabetic foot. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 1995; 12 75-86
- 19 Schinabeck M K, Johnson J L. Osteomyelitis in diabetic foot ulcers. Prompt diagnosis can avert amputation. Postgrad Med. 2005; 118 11-15
- 20 Saye D E. Recurring and antimicrobial-resistant infections: considering the potential role of biofilms in clinical practice. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2007; 53 46-48
- 21 Prasad K C. Osteomyelitis in the head and neck. Acta Otolaryngol. 2007; 127 194-205
- 22 Teodorescu V J, Chen C, Morrissey N et al.. Detailed protocol of ischemia and the use of noninvasive vascular laboratory testing in diabetic foot ulcers. Am J Surg. 2004; 187 S75-S80
- 23 Hao S P, Chen H C, Wei F C et al.. Systemic management of osteoradionecrosis in the head and neck. Laryngoscope. 1999; 109 1324-1327
- 24 Marx R E. Osteoradionecrosis: a new concept of its pathophysiology. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1983; 41 283-288
- 25 Heimbach R D.
Radiation effect on tissues. In: Davis CD, Hunt TK Problem Wounds: The Role of Oxygen. New York, NY; Elsevier 1988: 53-63
- 26 Ariyan S.
Radiation injury. In: Thorne CT, Bartlett SP, Beasely RW, et al Grabb and Smith's Plastic Surgery. 6th ed. 2006: 835-853
Christopher E Attinger, M.D. , Ph.D.
Director, Wound Healing Center, Georgetown University Hospital
3800 Reservoir Road, NW, Washington, DC 20007