Venous Flow-Through Flap Reconstruction Following Severe Finger Wound Infection: Case Report
19 March 2009 (online)
We report a case of a 22-year-old patient who sustained a box-cutter injury to the index finger on her right hand complicated by severe felon. Extensive tissue debridement left the patient with a defect exposing the underlying flexor tendon. A venous flow-through flap from the right forearm was used to provide coverage, which survived completely without venous congestion. Excellent functional and cosmetic result was achieved with this approach. Because of its similarity in color and non-hair-bearing nature, the venous flow-through flap serves as an excellent approach for volar digital defect coverage in which the underlying flexor tendon is exposed.
Flow-through flap - finger defect - finger wound infection - free flap
- 1 Trovato M J, Brooks D, Buntic R F, Buncke G M. Simultaneous coverage of two separate dorsal digital defects with a syndactylizing venous free flap. Microsurgery. 2008; 28 248-251
- 2 Nakayama Y, Soeda S, Kasai Y. Flaps nourished by arterial inflow through the venous system: an experimental investigation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1981; 67 328-334
- 3 Yoshimura M, Shimada T, Imura S, Shimamura K, Yamauchi S. The venous skin graft method for repairing skin defects of the fingers. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987; 79 243-248
- 4 Brooks D, Buntic R, Buncke H J. Use of a venous flap from an amputated part for salvage of an upper extremity injury. Ann Plast Surg. 2002; 48 189-192
- 5 Sakai S. Free flap from the flexor aspect of the wrist for resurfacing defects of the hand and fingers. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 111 1412-1420
- 6 Wong C H, Teoh L C, Lee J YL, Yam A KT, Khoo D BA, Yong F C. Free digital artery flap. Ann Plast Surg. 2008; 60 254-259
- 7 Chia J, Peng Y. Use of an arterialized venous flap for resurfacing a circumferential soft tissue defect of a digit. Microsurgery. 2001; 21 374-378
- 8 Elhassan B T, Shin A Y.
Cross-finger flaps for digital soft tissue reconstruction. In: Moran SL, Cooney WP Soft Tissue Surgery. Baltimore; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2008: 245-256
- 9 Reynoso R, Haddad J L, Sastre N. A few considerations regarding enhancement of arterialized skin flap survival. Microsurgery. 2000; 20 176-180