Giant, Completely Calcified Lumbar Juxtafacet Cyst: Report of an Unusual Case
04 December 2012
11 November 2013
19 December 2013 (eFirst)
Study Design Case report.
Objective To report the case of one patient who developed a giant, completely calcified, juxtafacet cyst.
Methods A 57-year-old woman presented with a 2-year history of progressively worsening lower back pain, left leg pain, weakness, and paresthesias. Imaging showed a giant, completely calcified mass arising from the left L5–S1 facet joint, with coexisting grade I L5 on S1 anterolisthesis. The patient was treated with laminectomy, excision of the mass, and L5–S1 fixation and fusion.
Results The patient had an uncomplicated postoperative course and had complete resolution of her symptoms as of 1-year follow-up.
Conclusions When presented with a solid-appearing, calcified mass arising from the facet joint, a completely calcified juxtafacet cyst should be considered as part of the differential diagnosis.
- 1 Onofrio BM, Mih AD. Synovial cysts of the spine. Neurosurgery 1988; 22 (4) 642-647
- 2 Salmon B, Martin D, Lenelle J, Stevenaert A. Juxtafacet cyst of the lumbar spine. Clinical, radiological and therapeutic aspects in 28 cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2001; 143 (2) 129-134
- 3 Banning CS, Thorell WE, Leibrock LG. Patient outcome after resection of lumbar juxtafacet cysts. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2001; 26 (8) 969-972
- 4 Sabo RA, Tracy PT, Weinger JM. A series of 60 juxtafacet cysts: clinical presentation, the role of spinal instability, and treatment. J Neurosurg 1996; 85 (4) 560-565
- 5 Xu R, McGirt MJ, Parker SL , et al. Factors associated with recurrent back pain and cyst recurrence after surgical resection of one hundred ninety-five spinal synovial cysts: analysis of one hundred sixty-seven consecutive cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2010; 35 (10) 1044-1053
- 6 Lyons MK, Atkinson JL, Wharen RE, Deen HG, Zimmerman RS, Lemens SM. Surgical evaluation and management of lumbar synovial cysts: the Mayo Clinic experience. J Neurosurg 2000; 93 (1, Suppl): 53-57
- 7 Kusakabe T, Kasama F, Aizawa T, Sato T, Kokubun S. Facet cyst in the lumbar spine: radiological and histopathological findings and possible pathogenesis. J Neurosurg Spine 2006; 5 (5) 398-403
- 8 Khan AM, Girardi F. Spinal lumbar synovial cysts. Diagnosis and management challenge. Eur Spine J 2006; 15 (8) 1176-1182
- 9 Knox AM, Fon GT. The appearances of lumbar intraspinal synovial cysts. Clin Radiol 1991; 44 (6) 397-401
- 10 Apostolaki E, Davies AM, Evans N, Cassar-Pullicino VN. MR imaging of lumbar facet joint synovial cysts. Eur Radiol 2000; 10 (4) 615-623
- 11 Métellus P, Fuentes S, Adetchessi T , et al. Retrospective study of 77 patients harbouring lumbar synovial cysts: functional and neurological outcome. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2006; 148 (1) 47-54, discussion 54
- 12 Almefty R, Arnautović KI, Webber BL. Multilevel bilateral calcified thoracic spinal synovial cysts. J Neurosurg Spine 2008; 8 (5) 473-477
- 13 Kasliwal MK, Deutsch H. Completely calcified lumbar synovial cyst. Neurol India 2011; 59 (2) 315-316
- 14 Kim SW, Choi JH. Synovial chondromatosis presenting with lumbar radiculopathy. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2009; 34 (11) E414-E417
- 15 Carlson AP, Yonas HM, Turner PT. Disorders of tumoral calcification of the spine: illustrative case study and review of the literature. J Spinal Disord Tech 2007; 20 (1) 97-103
- 16 Fujishiro T, Nabeshima Y, Yasui S, Fujita I, Yoshiya S, Fujii H. Pseudogout attack of the lumbar facet joint: a case report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2002; 27 (17) E396-E398
- 17 Pantazis G, Tsitsopoulos P, Bibis A, Mihas C, Chatzistamou I, Kouzelis C. Symptomatic ossification of the ligamentum flavum at the lumbar spine: a retrospective study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2008; 33 (3) 306-311
- 18 Choudhri HF, Perling LH. Diagnosis and management of juxtafacet cysts. Neurosurg Focus 2006; 20 (3) E1
- 19 Kim HS, Ju CI, Kim SW. Foraminal synovial cyst associated with ankylosing spondylitis. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2011; 50 (1) 54-56
- 20 Palmer DG. Synovial cysts in rheumatoid disease. Ann Intern Med 1969; 70 (1) 61-68
- 21 Sandhu FA, Santiago P, Fessler RG, Palmer S. Minimally invasive surgical treatment of lumbar synovial cysts. Neurosurgery 2004; 54 (1) 107-111, discussion 111–112