Lumbar Intraforaminal Synovial Cyst in Young Adulthood: Case Report and Review of the Literature
09 June 2013
07 January 2014
21 February 2014 (eFirst)
Study Design Case report.
Objective Lumbar juxtafacet cysts (synovial and ganglion cysts) are a rare cause of low back and radicular leg pain. Most patients with lumbar cysts are in their sixth decade of life and have significant facet joint and disk degeneration. Lumbar synovial cysts (LSCs) are extremely rare in adolescence and young adulthood, and to our knowledge, only two pediatric cases of LSC have been reported in the literature. We aim to prove the existence of LSC in adolescent patients as a real entity that causes low back and radicular complaints and to discuss the possibility of traumatic injury as a pathogenic cause of LSC formation in adolescence. A case of an 18-year old patient with LSC is presented. We report the clinical presentation, management, outcome, and review of the literature, focusing on issues that remain debatable.
Methods The case is presented together with its clinical course, the diagnostic techniques, the surgical findings, histologic results, and the treatment outcome.
Results After surgical treatment, the patient's complaints were alleviated and almost no complaints were registered during the next 6 months' follow-up.
Conclusions LSCs are extremely rare in adolescence, but they could be considered in the differential diagnosis in adolescent patients with low back pain and radiculopathy. Surgical removal of LSC could be considered as a treatment option to provide immediate and safe symptomatic relief.
- 1 Kao CC, Winkler SS, Turner JH. Synovial cyst of spinal facet. Case report. J Neurosurg 1974; 41 (3) 372-376
- 2 Kao CC, Uihlein A, Bickel WH, Soule EH. Lumbar intraspinal extradural ganglion cyst. J Neurosurg 1968; 29 (2) 168-172
- 3 Boviatsis EJ, Stavrinou LC, Kouyialis AT , et al. Spinal synovial cysts: pathogenesis, diagnosis and surgical treatment in a series of seven cases and literature review. Eur Spine J 2008; 17 (6) 831-837
- 4 Marichal DA, Bertozzi JC, Rechtine G, Murtagh FR. Case 101: lumbar facet synovial cyst. Radiology 2006; 241 (2) 618-621
- 5 El Shazly AA, Khattab MF. Surgical excision of a juxtafacet cyst in the lumbar spine: a report of thirteen cases with long-term follow up. Asian J Neurosurg 2011; 6 (2) 78-82
- 6 Ayberk G, Ozveren F, Gök B , et al. Lumbar synovial cysts: experience with nine cases. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2008; 48 (7) 298-303 , discussion 303
- 7 Gelabert-González M, Prieto-González A, María Santin-Amo J , et al. Lumbar synovial cyst in an adolescent: case report. Childs Nerv Syst 2009; 25 (6) 719-721
- 8 Park HJ, Jeon YH, Rho MH , et al. Incidental findings of the lumbar spine at MRI during herniated intervertebral disk disease evaluation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 196 (5) 1151-1155
- 9 Acharya R, Patwardhan RV, Smith DR, Willis BK, Fowler M, Nanda A. Intraspinal synovial cysts: a retrospective study. Neurol India 2006; 54 (1) 38-41
- 10 Deinsberger R, Kinn E, Ungersböck K. Microsurgical treatment of juxta facet cysts of the lumbar spine. J Spinal Disord Tech 2006; 19 (3) 155-160
- 11 Khan AM, Girardi F. Spinal lumbar synovial cysts. Diagnosis and management challenge. Eur Spine J 2006; 15 (8) 1176-1182
- 12 Karaeminoğullari O, Sahin O, Demirörs H, Tandoğan R. [Symptomatic lumbar intraspinal synovial cyst: a case report]. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2006; 40 (1) 85-88
- 13 Liu SS, Williams KD, Drayer BP, Spetzler RF, Sonntag VK. Synovial cysts of the lumbosacral spine: diagnosis by MR imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1989; 10 (6) 1239-1242
- 14 Terao T, Takahashi H, Taniguchi M , et al. Clinical characteristics and surgical management for juxtafacet cysts of the lumbar spine. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2007; 47: 250-257
- 15 Weyreuther M, Heyde CE, Westphal M , et al. MRI-Atlas Orthopedics and Neurosurgery: The Spine. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2007: 102
- 16 Doyle AJ, Merrilees M. Synovial cysts of the lumbar facet joints in a symptomatic population: prevalence on magnetic resonance imaging. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2004; 29 (8) 874-878
- 17 Epstein NE. Lumbar synovial cysts: a review of diagnosis, surgical management, and outcome assessment. J Spinal Disord Tech 2004; 17 (4) 321-325
- 18 Apostolaki E, Davies AM, Evans N, Cassar-Pullicino VN. MR imaging of lumbar facet joint synovial cysts. Eur Radiol 2000; 10 (4) 615-623
- 19 Trummer M, Flaschka G, Tillich M, Homann CN, Unger F, Eustacchio S. Diagnosis and surgical management of intraspinal synovial cysts: report of 19 cases. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001; 70 (1) 74-77
- 20 Lyons MK, Atkinson JL, Wharen RE, Deen HG, Zimmerman RS, Lemens SM. Surgical evaluation and management of lumbar synovial cysts: the Mayo Clinic experience. J Neurosurg 2000; 93 (1, Suppl): 53-57
- 21 Métellus P, Fuentes S, Dufour H, Do L, Figarella-Branger D, Grisoli F. An unusual presentation of a lumbar synovial cyst: case report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2002; 27 (11) E278-E280
- 22 Hsu KY, Zucherman JF, Shea WJ, Jeffrey RA. Lumbar intraspinal synovial and ganglion cysts (facet cysts). Ten-year experience in evaluation and treatment. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 1995; 20 (1) 80-89
- 23 Vasani SS, Demetriades AK, Joshi SM, Yeh J, Ellamushi H. Traumatic intraspinal extradural ganglion cyst in a teenager: case report and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2007; 109 (1) 88-91
- 24 Fast A, Goldsher D. Navigating the Adult Spine: Bridging Clinical Practice and Neuroradiology. New York, NY: Demos Medical Publishing; 2007: 73-75
- 25 Wilmink JT. Lumbar Spinal Imaging in Radicular Pain and Related Conditions. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2010: 87-88
- 26 Howington JU, Connolly ES, Voorhies RM. Intraspinal synovial cysts: 10-year experience at the Ochsner Clinic. J Neurosurg 1999; 91 (2, Suppl): 193-199
- 27 Chang A. Percutaneous CT-guided treatment of lumbar facet joint synovial cysts. HSS J 2009; 5 (2) 165-168
- 28 Sandhu FA, Santiago P, Fessler RG, Palmer S. Minimally invasive surgical treatment of lumbar synovial cysts. Neurosurgery 2004; 54 (1) 107-111, discussion 111–112
- 29 Métellus P, Fuentes S, Adetchessi T , et al. Retrospective study of 77 patients harbouring lumbar synovial cysts: functional and neurological outcome. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2006; 148 (1) 47-54 , discussion 54
- 30 Salmon B, Martin D, Lenelle J, Stevenaert A. Juxtafacet cyst of the lumbar spine. Clinical, radiological and therapeutic aspects in 28 cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2001; 143 (2) 129-134