Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Cystobactamid 507: A Bacterial Topoisomerase Inhibitor from Cystobacter sp.
Received: 26 January 2015
Accepted after revision: 05 March 2015
01 April 2015 (eFirst)
The first total synthesis of cystobactamid 507, a member of a class of new natural products with strong inhibitory activity towards bacterial topoisomerases, is reported. Synthetic key challenges are the central tetrasubstitued arene and the low chemical reactivity of anilines and ortho-phenolic and isopropoxy-substituted benzoic acids. Biological evaluations demonstrate that cystobactamid 507 inhibits several Gram-positive pathogens but at significantly lower concentrations than described for the larger members of this natural product family.
- 1 Baumann S, Herrmann J, Raju R, Steinmetz H, Mohr KI, Hüttel S, Harmrolfs K, Stadler M, Müller R. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014; 53: 14605 ; a range of new cystobactamid derivatives will be reported elsewhere
- 2 Weinstein RA, Gaynes R, Edwards JR. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2005; 41: 848
- 3 Hooper DC. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 2001; 7: 337
- 4 Anuradha V, Srinivas PV, Aparna P, Rao JM. Tetrahedron Lett. 2006; 47: 4933
- 5 Moon J, Lee S. J. Organomet. Chem. 2009; 694: 473
- 6 Devos A, Remion J, Frisque-Hesbain A.-M, Colens A, Ghosez L. J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1979; 1180
- 7 Prabhakaran P, Barnard A, Murphy NS, Kilner CA, Edwards TA, Wilson AJ. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2013; 3504
- 8 Yap JL, Cao X, Vanommeslaeghe K, Jung K.-Y, Peddaboina C, Wilder PT, Nan A, MacKerell AD. Jr, Smytheb WR. Jr, Fletcher S. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2012; 10: 2928
- 9 Satoh T, Suzuki S, Suzuki Y, Miyaji Y, Imai Z. Tetrahedron Lett. 1969; 4555
- 10 The synthesis of albicidin, a natural product closely related to the cystobactamids, was recently reported: Kretz J, Kerwat D, Schubert V, Grätz S, Pesic A, Semsary S, Cociancich S, Royer M, Süssmuth R. Angew. Chem. 2015; 126: 1992