Predictive Value of EuroSCORE II in Patients Undergoing Left Ventricular Assist Device Therapy
30 March 2015
10 September 2015
26 October 2015 (online)
Background Left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) are nowadays a widespread option for the effective treatment of heart failure. We hypothesized that the European System for Cardiac Operative Risk Evaluation II (EuroSCORE II) might be a superior tool in clinical decision making compared with other established score systems.
Methods In this retrospective, single-center analysis, between 2008 and 2014, 40 consecutive patients were followed for up to 36 months after LVAD (Thoratec HeartMate II) implantation. Postoperative survival was correlated to the Interagency Registry for Mechanically Assisted Circulatory Support (INTERMACS) levels, Destination Therapy Risk Score (DTRS), HeartMate II Risk Score (HMRS), and EuroSCORE II.
Results Overall, a positive outcome (survival, transplantation, or weaning) was reached in 87.5% (30 days), 70% (1 year), and 60% (2 and 3 years) of cases. Patients were categorized as high, medium, and low risk by use of the different scores. Within the created subgroups, the following 1-year positive outcomes were achieved—INTERMACS: high risk 58% versus low risk 68%; EuroSCORE II: high risk 17% versus low risk 89%; DTRS: high risk 44% versus low risk 75%; and HMRS: high risk 60% versus low risk 100%. After 1 year, the EuroSCORE II classification's area under the receiver operating characteristic curve (AUC) was superior (AUC = 0.78) and Fisher exact test revealed a significant predictive value for this classification (p = 0.0037) but not for INTERMACS levels, DTRS, or HMRS classifications.
Conclusion These results support the assumption that EuroSCORE II risk classification may be useful to predict survival in LVAD patients. In our observation, it proved to be superior to INTERMACS, DTRS, and HMRS after 1 year.
A first analysis of this study was presented at the DGTHG 2013, Freiburg, Germany, in a short oral communication.
* Both the authors contributed equally to this work.
- 1 Lloyd-Jones DM, Larson MG, Leip EP , et al; Framingham Heart Study. Lifetime risk for developing congestive heart failure: the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation 2002; 106 (24) 3068-3072
- 2 Slaughter MS, Rogers JG, Milano CA , et al; HeartMate II Investigators. Advanced heart failure treated with continuous-flow left ventricular assist device. N Engl J Med 2009; 361 (23) 2241-2251
- 3 Williams ML, Trivedi JR, McCants KC , et al. Heart transplant vs left ventricular assist device in heart transplant-eligible patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 91 (5) 1330-1333 , discussion 1333–1334
- 4 Kirklin JK, Naftel DC. Mechanical circulatory support: registering a therapy in evolution. Circ Heart Fail 2008; 1 (3) 200-205
- 5 McMurray JJ, Adamopoulos S, Anker SD , et al; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2012; 33 (14) 1787-1847
- 6 HeartMate II® LVAS Clinical Operation & Patient Management: Abbreviated and extracted from the HeartMate II® LVAS Operating Manual. Available online at: http://www.thoratec.com/_assets/download-tracker/HM_II_Clin_Op_&_Pt_Mgt_104185B_ENGLISH.pdf . Accessed April 18, 2014
- 7 Lietz K, Long JW, Kfoury AG , et al. Outcomes of left ventricular assist device implantation as destination therapy in the post-REMATCH era: implications for patient selection. Circulation 2007; 116 (5) 497-505
- 8 Boyle AJ, Ascheim DD, Russo MJ , et al. Clinical outcomes for continuous-flow left ventricular assist device patients stratified by pre-operative INTERMACS classification. J Heart Lung Transplant 2011; 30 (4) 402-407
- 9 EuroSCORE II calculator Available online at: http://www.euroscore.org/calc.html . Accessed April 18, 2014
- 10 Cowger J, Sundareswaran K, Rogers JG , et al. Predicting survival in patients receiving continuous flow left ventricular assist devices: the HeartMate II risk score. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61 (3) 313-321
- 11 Youden WJ. Index for rating diagnostic tests. Cancer 1950; 3 (1) 32-35
- 12 Nashef SA, Roques F, Sharples LD , et al. EuroSCORE II. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 41 (4) 734-744 , discussion 744–745
- 13 Kirklin JK, Naftel DC, Kormos RL , et al. Fifth INTERMACS annual report: risk factor analysis from more than 6,000 mechanical circulatory support patients. J Heart Lung Transplant 2013; 32 (2) 141-156
- 14 Schaffer JM, Allen JG, Weiss ES , et al. Evaluation of risk indices in continuous-flow left ventricular assist device patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88 (6) 1889-1896
- 15 Miller LW, Guglin M. Patient selection for ventricular assist devices: a moving target. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61 (12) 1209-1221
- 16 Teuteberg JJ, Ewald GA, Adamson RM , et al. Risk assessment for continuous flow left ventricular assist devices: does the destination therapy risk score work? An analysis of over 1,000 patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (1) 44-51
- 17 Levy WC. Potential clinical applications of the HeartMate II risk score. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61 (3) 322-324
- 18 Goetzenich A, Deppe I, Schnöring H , et al. EuroScore 2 for identification of patients for transapical aortic valve replacement—a single center retrospective in 206 patients. J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 7: 89
- 19 Levy WC, Mozaffarian D, Linker DT , et al. The Seattle Heart Failure Model: prediction of survival in heart failure. Circulation 2006; 113 (11) 1424-1433
- 20 Aaronson KD, Schwartz JS, Chen TM, Wong KL, Goin JE, Mancini DM. Development and prospective validation of a clinical index to predict survival in ambulatory patients referred for cardiac transplant evaluation. Circulation 1997; 95 (12) 2660-2667
- 21 Carluccio E, Dini FL, Biagioli P , et al. The ‘Echo Heart Failure Score’: an echocardiographic risk prediction score of mortality in systolic heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2013; 15 (8) 868-876
- 22 Stevenson LW, Pagani FD, Young JB , et al. INTERMACS profiles of advanced heart failure: the current picture. J Heart Lung Transplant 2009; 28 (6) 535-541