Surgery for Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction with a Relatively Thin Interventricular Septum
18 August 2015
24 November 2015
12 January 2016 (eFirst)
Background To examine the results of myectomy and mitral valve surgery for systolic anterior motion (SAM) of the mitral valve and left ventricular outflow tract obstruction (LVOTO) with a relatively thin interventricular septum.
Methods The subjects were 12 patients with SAM and LVOTO. Eight had hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM) with a mean interventricular septal thickness of 16 mm. Three had sigmoid septum and one had an unknown etiology. For HOCM, isolated extended myectomy was performed when mitral regurgitation was mild (n = 1) and extended myectomy plus mitral valve surgery was performed when mitral regurgitation was more than mild (n = 4) or primary valve etiologies existed (n = 3). Myectomy was performed for the three cases with sigmoid septum. Myectomy plus height reduction of the posterior mitral leaflet was performed for the one case with the unknown etiology of SAM.
Results In the patients with HOCM, the maximum LVOT pressure gradient significantly decreased from 140 ± 18 to 16 ± 6 and 3 ± 3 mm Hg, while mitral regurgitation significantly decreased from 2.3 ± 0.5 to 0.5 ± 0.3 and 0.4 ± 0.2 at pre-op, early post-op, and last follow-up (3 ± 1 years), respectively. In the other etiologies, the maximum LVOT pressure gradient changed from 56 ± 15 to 25 ± 15 and 5 ± 4 mm Hg; mitral regurgitation changed from 2.0 ± 0.6 to 1.3 ± 0.3 and 1.3 ± 0.8, at pre-op, early post-op, and the last follow-up (3 ± 2 years), respectively.
Conclusion Myectomy with mitral valve surgery is an option for SAM and LVOTO in patients with a relatively thin interventricular septum.
- 1 Heric B, Lytle BW, Miller DP, Rosenkranz ER, Lever HM, Cosgrove DM. Surgical management of hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Early and late results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1995; 110 (1) 195-206 , discussion 206–208
- 2 Cho YH, Quintana E, Schaff HV , et al. Residual and recurrent gradients after septal myectomy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy-mechanisms of obstruction and outcomes of reoperation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 148 (3) 909-915 , discussion 915–916
- 3 Smedira NG, Lytle BW, Lever HM , et al. Current effectiveness and risks of isolated septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 85 (1) 127-133
- 4 McIntosh CL, Greenberg GJ, Maron BJ, Leon MB, Cannon III RO, Clark RE. Clinical and hemodynamic results after mitral valve replacement in patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg 1989; 47 (2) 236-246
- 5 Cooley DA, Leachman RD, Hallman GL, Gerami S, Hall RJ. Idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. Surgical treatment including mitral valve replacement. Arch Surg 1971; 103 (5) 606-609
- 6 Song JK. Role of noninvasive imaging modalities to better understand the mechanism of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction and tailored lesion-specific treatment options. Circ J 2014; 78 (8) 1808-1815
- 7 Fujita K, Nakashima K, Kumakura H, Minami K. A surgical experience of symptomatic sigmoid septum: drastic exacerbation of mitral regurgitation after sufficient ventricular septal myectomy. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 20 (Suppl): 871-877
- 8 Matsui Y, Shiiya N, Murashita T, Sasaki S, Yasuda K. Mitral valve repair and septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2000; 41 (1) 53-56
- 9 Gersh BJ, Maron BJ, Bonow RO , et al; American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. 2011 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Developed in collaboration with the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American Society of Echocardiography, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, Heart Failure Society of America, Heart Rhythm Society, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58 (25) e212-e260
- 10 Hamada M, Ikeda S, Shigematsu Y. Advances in medical treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Cardiol 2014; 64 (1) 1-10
- 11 Yu EH, Omran AS, Wigle ED, Williams WG, Siu SC, Rakowski H. Mitral regurgitation in hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: relationship to obstruction and relief with myectomy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36 (7) 2219-2225
- 12 Lancellotti P, Moura L, Pierard LA , et al; European Association of Echocardiography. European Association of Echocardiography recommendations for the assessment of valvular regurgitation. Part 2: mitral and tricuspid regurgitation (native valve disease). Eur J Echocardiogr 2010; 11 (4) 307-332
- 13 Messmer BJ. Extended myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg 1994; 58 (2) 575-577
- 14 Nasseri BA, Stamm C, Siniawski H , et al. Combined anterior mitral valve leaflet retention plasty and septal myectomy in patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 40 (6) 1515-1520
- 15 Gutermann H, Pettinari M, Van Kerrebroeck C , et al. Myectomy and mitral repair through the left atrium in hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: the preferred approach for contemporary surgical candidates?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 147 (6) 1833-1836
- 16 Vriesendorp PA, Schinkel AF, Soliman OI , et al. Long-term benefit of myectomy and anterior mitral leaflet extension in obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2015; 115 (5) 670-675
- 17 Furukawa K, Hayase T, Yano M. Mitral valve replacement and septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 62 (3) 181-183
- 18 Minakata K, Sakata R. Surgical treatment for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 62 (3) 184-185
- 19 Swistel DG, Balaram SK. Surgical myectomy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in the 21st century, the evolution of the “RPR” repair: resection, plication, and release. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2012; 54 (6) 498-502
- 20 Seeburger J, Passage J, Borger MA, Mohr FW. A new concept for correction of systolic anterior motion and mitral valve regurgitation in patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 140 (2) 481-483
- 21 Maron MS, Olivotto I, Harrigan C , et al. Mitral valve abnormalities identified by cardiovascular magnetic resonance represent a primary phenotypic expression of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2011; 124 (1) 40-47