Favorable Outcomes of Open Surgical Repair for Blunt Aortic Injury in the Era of Endovascular Repair
02 September 2015
02 December 2015
28 January 2016 (online)
Background Long-term outcomes of open surgical repair with distal aortic perfusion for blunt aortic injury (BAI) remain undefined in this era of preferential thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR).
Methods We retrospectively reviewed data from 31 consecutive patients (23 males; mean age, 46 ± 16 years) who underwent open surgical repair with distal aortic perfusion for acute BAI between 1998 and 2012 at our center and were followed up for 83 ± 47 months.
Results In the 31 patients studied, BAI was most commonly secondary to traffic accidents (87%), with median accident-to-surgery time of 1 day. It was most commonly (90%) located at the isthmus. All patients had other injuries (injury severity score, 25 ± 6), 68% of which required surgery. The aorta was approached by left (84%) or bilateral (3%) thoracotomy, or median sternotomy (13%). During aortic cross-clamping (73 ± 47 minutes), distal aortic perfusion was maintained in all patients by left heart or cardiopulmonary bypass (extracorporeal circulation time, 93 ± 63 minutes). Circulatory arrest was required in 19% of patients. There was no in-hospital mortality or paraplegia. The estimated 5- and 10-year survival rates were 92 ± 6% and 80 ± 12%, respectively. One patient underwent reoperation for aortoesophageal fistula at 75 months postoperatively.
Conclusion Open repair with distal aortic perfusion for BAI yielded favorable early and late outcomes, and is thus a viable option even in the era of TEVAR.
This study was presented at the Houston Aortic Symposium, Houston, Texas, United States, on March 7, 2015.
- 1 Hoornweg LL, Dinkelman MK, Goslings JC , et al. Endovascular management of traumatic ruptures of the thoracic aorta: a retrospective multicenter analysis of 28 cases in The Netherlands. J Vasc Surg 2006; 43 (6) 1096-1102 , discussion 1102
- 2 Azizzadeh A, Keyhani K, Miller III CC, Coogan SM, Safi HJ, Estrera AL. Blunt traumatic aortic injury: initial experience with endovascular repair. J Vasc Surg 2009; 49 (6) 1403-1408
- 3 Estrera AL, Gochnour DC, Azizzadeh A , et al. Progress in the treatment of blunt thoracic aortic injury: 12-year single-institution experience. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90 (1) 64-71
- 4 Piffaretti G, Benedetto F, Menegolo M , et al. Outcomes of endovascular repair for blunt thoracic aortic injury. J Vasc Surg 2013; 58 (6) 1483-1489
- 5 Patel HJ, Hemmila MR, Williams DM, Diener AC, Deeb GM. Late outcomes following open and endovascular repair of blunt thoracic aortic injury. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53 (3) 615-620 , discussion 621
- 6 Lee WA, Matsumura JS, Mitchell RS , et al. Endovascular repair of traumatic thoracic aortic injury: clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53 (1) 187-192
- 7 Fabian TC, Richardson JD, Croce MA , et al. Prospective study of blunt aortic injury: Multicenter Trial of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. J Trauma 1997; 42 (3) 374-380 , discussion 380–383
- 8 von Oppell UO, Dunne TT, De Groot MK, Zilla P. Traumatic aortic rupture: twenty-year metaanalysis of mortality and risk of paraplegia. Ann Thorac Surg 1994; 58 (2) 585-593
- 9 Crestanello JA, Zehr KJ, Mullany CJ , et al. The effect of adjuvant perfusion techniques on the incidence of paraplegia after repair of traumatic thoracic aortic transections. Mayo Clin Proc 2006; 81 (5) 625-630
- 10 Estrera AL, Miller III CC, Huynh TT, Porat E, Safi HJ. Neurologic outcome after thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 72 (4) 1225-1230 , discussion 1230–1231
- 11 David N, Roux N, Clavier E , et al. Open repair of extensive thoracoabdominal and thoracic aneurysm: a preliminary single-center experience with femorofemoral distal aortic perfusion with oxygenator and without cerebrospinal fluid drainage. Ann Vasc Surg 2011; 25 (5) 583-589
- 12 Bavaria JE, Woo YJ, Hall RA, Carpenter JP, Gardner TJ. Retrograde cerebral and distal aortic perfusion during ascending and thoracoabdominal aortic operations. Ann Thorac Surg 1995; 60 (2) 345-352 , discussion 352–353
- 13 Chiesa R, Melissano G, Civilini E, de Moura ML, Carozzo A, Zangrillo A. Ten years experience of thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm surgical repair: lessons learned. Ann Vasc Surg 2004; 18 (5) 514-520
- 14 Volodos NL, Karpovich IP, Troyan VI , et al. Clinical experience of the use of self-fixing synthetic prostheses for remote endoprosthetics of the thoracic and the abdominal aorta and iliac arteries through the femoral artery and as intraoperative endoprosthesis for aorta reconstruction. Vasa Suppl 1991; 33: 93-95
- 15 Kato N, Dake MD, Miller DC , et al. Traumatic thoracic aortic aneurysm: treatment with endovascular stent-grafts. Radiology 1997; 205 (3) 657-662
- 16 Tang GL, Tehrani HY, Usman A , et al. Reduced mortality, paraplegia, and stroke with stent graft repair of blunt aortic transections: a modern meta-analysis. J Vasc Surg 2008; 47 (3) 671-675
- 17 Ueda T, Fleischmann D, Dake MD, Rubin GD, Sze DY. Incomplete endograft apposition to the aortic arch: bird-beak configuration increases risk of endoleak formation after thoracic endovascular aortic repair. Radiology 2010; 255 (2) 645-652
- 18 Hinchliffe RJ, Krasznai A, Schultzekool L , et al. Observations on the failure of stent-grafts in the aortic arch. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2007; 34 (4) 451-456
- 19 Murad MH, Rizvi AZ, Malgor R , et al. Comparative effectiveness of the treatments for thoracic aortic transection [corrected]. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53 (1) 193-199.e1 , 21
- 20 Feezor RJ, Martin TD, Hess PJ , et al. Risk factors for perioperative stroke during thoracic endovascular aortic repairs (TEVAR). J Endovasc Ther 2007; 14 (4) 568-573
- 21 Matsumura JS, Lee WA, Mitchell RS , et al; Society for Vascular Surgery. The Society for Vascular Surgery Practice Guidelines: management of the left subclavian artery with thoracic endovascular aortic repair. J Vasc Surg 2009; 50 (5) 1155-1158
- 22 Rabin J, Chi A, Neschis DG, Griffith BP, Scalea TM. Blunt aortic injury in a patient with prior coronary artery bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 93 (1) 294-296
- 23 Farber MA, Giglia JS, Starnes BW , et al; TAG 08-02 clinical trial investigators. Evaluation of the redesigned conformable GORE TAG thoracic endoprosthesis for traumatic aortic transection. J Vasc Surg 2013; 58 (3) 651-658
- 24 Buz S, Zipfel B, Mulahasanovic S, Pasic M, Weng Y, Hetzer R. Conventional surgical repair and endovascular treatment of acute traumatic aortic rupture. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 33 (2) 143-149
- 25 Schumacher H, Böckler D, von Tengg-Kobligk H, Allenberg JR. Acute traumatic aortic tear: open versus stent-graft repair. Semin Vasc Surg 2006; 19 (1) 48-59
- 26 Parmley LF, Mattingly TW, Manion WC, Jahnke Jr EJ. Nonpenetrating traumatic injury of the aorta. Circulation 1958; 17 (6) 1086-1101
- 27 Sevitt S. The mechanisms of traumatic rupture of the thoracic aorta. Br J Surg 1977; 64 (3) 166-173
- 28 Fukunaga N, Koyama T, Murashita T, Okada Y. Successful simultaneous repair of traumatic aortic and right atrium ruptures. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2013; 16 (6) 914-916