Analysis of Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 Use in the Treatment of Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis
11 September 2015
02 February 2016
25 March 2016 (eFirst)
Study Design Retrospective database review.
Objective To identify trends of the recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) use in the treatment of lumbar degenerative spondylolisthesis (LDS).
Methods PearlDiver Patient Record Database was used to identify patients who underwent lumbar fusion for LDS between 2005 and 2011. The distribution of bone morphogenetic protein use rate (BR) in various surgical procedures was recorded. Patient numbers, reoperation numbers, BR, and per year BR (PYBR) were stratified by geographic region, gender, and age.
Results There were 11,335 fusion surgeries, with 3,461 cases using rhBMP-2. Even though PYRB increased between 2005 and 2008, there was a significant decrease in 2010 for each procedure: 404 (34.5%) for posterior interbody fusion, 1,282 (34.3%) for posterolateral plus posterior interbody fusion (PLPIF), 1,477 (29.2%) for posterolateral fusion, and 335 (22.4%) for anterior lumbar interbody fusion. In patients using rhBMP-2, the reoperation rate was significantly lower than in patients not using rhBMP-2 (0.69% versus 1.07%, p < 0.0001). Male patients had higher PYBR compared with female patients in 2008 and 2009 (p < 0.05). The West region and PLPIF had the highest BR and PYBR.
Conclusions Our data shows that the revision rates were significantly lower in patients treated with rhBMP-2 compared with patients not treated with rhBMP-2. Furthermore, rhBMP-2 use in LDS varied by year, region, gender, and type of fusion technique. In the West region, the posterior approach and patients 65 to 69 years of age had the highest rate of rhBMP-2 use.
Keywordsfusion - rhBMP-2 - ALIF - posterolateral - demographics - PearlDiver patient record database - lumbar degenerative spondylolisthesis
* Qingqiang Yao and Jeremiah R. Cohen contributed equally.
- 1 Martin CR, Gruszczynski AT, Braunsfurth HA, Fallatah SM, O'Neil J, Wai EK. The surgical management of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis: a systematic review. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2007; 32 (16) 1791-1798
- 2 Mannion AF, Pittet V, Steiger F, Vader JP, Becker HJ, Porchet F ; Zürich Appropriateness of Spine Surgery (ZASS) Group. Development of appropriateness criteria for the surgical treatment of symptomatic lumbar degenerative spondylolisthesis (LDS). Eur Spine J 2014; 23 (9) 1903-1917
- 3 Vibert BT, Sliva CD, Herkowitz HN. Treatment of instability and spondylolisthesis: surgical versus nonsurgical treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006; 443 (443) 222-227
- 4 Boswell MV, Trescot AM, Datta S , et al; American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians. Interventional techniques: evidence-based practice guidelines in the management of chronic spinal pain. Pain Physician 2007; 10 (1) 7-111
- 5 Watters III WC, Bono CM, Gilbert TJ , et al; North American Spine Society. An evidence-based clinical guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis. Spine J 2009; 9 (7) 609-614
- 6 Bednar DA. Surgical management of lumbar degenerative spinal stenosis with spondylolisthesis via posterior reduction with minimal laminectomy. J Spinal Disord Tech 2002; 15 (2) 105-109
- 7 Altaf F, Jalgaonkar A, Raman SA. Prospective study of posterior lumbar interbody fusion and posterolateral fusion for degenerative spondylolisthesis. Spine J 2011; 11 (10) 112S-113S
- 8 Asazuma T, Yamugishi M, Sato M, Ichimura S, Fujikawa K, Crock HV. Posterior spinal fusion for lumbar degenerative diseases using the Crock-Yamagishi (C-Y) spinal fixation system. J Spinal Disord Tech 2004; 17 (3) 174-177
- 9 Tannoury CA, An HS. Complications with the use of bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2) in spine surgery. Spine J 2014; 14 (3) 552-559
- 10 Behrbalk E, Uri O, Parks RM, Musson R, Soh RC, Boszczyk BM. Fusion and subsidence rate of stand alone anterior lumbar interbody fusion using PEEK cage with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Eur Spine J 2013; 22 (12) 2869-2875
- 11 Vaccaro AR, Patel T, Fischgrund J , et al. A pilot study evaluating the safety and efficacy of OP-1 Putty (rhBMP-7) as a replacement for iliac crest autograft in posterolateral lumbar arthrodesis for degenerative spondylolisthesis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2004; 29 (17) 1885-1892
- 12 Boden SD, Zdeblick TA, Sandhu HS, Heim SE. The use of rhBMP-2 in interbody fusion cages. Definitive evidence of osteoinduction in humans: a preliminary report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000; 25 (3) 376-381
- 13 Crandall DG, Revella J, Patterson J, Huish E, Chang M, McLemore R. Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion with rhBMP-2 in spinal deformity, spondylolisthesis, and degenerative disease—part 1: large series diagnosis related outcomes and complications with 2- to 9-year follow-up. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2013; 38 (13) 1128-1136
- 14 Burkus JK, Heim SE, Gornet MF, Zdeblick TA. Is INFUSE bone graft superior to autograft bone? An integrated analysis of clinical trials using the LT-CAGE lumbar tapered fusion device. J Spinal Disord Tech 2003; 16 (2) 113-122
- 15 Crandall DG, Revella J, Patterson J, Huish E, Chang M, McLemore R. Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion with rhBMP-2 in spinal deformity, spondylolisthesis, and degenerative disease—part 2: BMP dosage-related complications and long-term outcomes in 509 patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2013; 38 (13) 1137-1145
- 16 Carragee EJ, Mitsunaga KA, Hurwitz EL, Scuderi GJ. Retrograde ejaculation after anterior lumbar interbody fusion using rhBMP-2: a cohort controlled study. Spine J 2011; 11 (6) 511-516
- 17 Epstein NE. Complications due to the use of BMP/INFUSE in spine surgery: the evidence continues to mount. Surg Neurol Int 2013; 4 (Suppl. 05) S343-S352
- 18 Vaccaro AR, Garfin SR. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis with spinal stenosis, a prospective study comparing decompression with decompression and intertransverse process arthrodesis: a critical analysis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 1997; 22 (4) 368-369
- 19 Ghogawala Z, Benzel EC, Amin-Hanjani S , et al. Prospective outcomes evaluation after decompression with or without instrumented fusion for lumbar stenosis and degenerative grade I spondylolisthesis. J Neurosurg Spine 2004; 1 (3) 267-272
- 20 Kornblum MB, Fischgrund JS, Herkowitz HN, Abraham DA, Berkower DL, Ditkoff JS. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis with spinal stenosis: a prospective long-term study comparing fusion and pseudarthrosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2004; 29 (7) 726-733 , discussion 733–734
- 21 Hackenberg L, Halm H, Bullmann V, Vieth V, Schneider M, Liljenqvist U. Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: a safe technique with satisfactory three to five year results. Eur Spine J 2005; 14 (6) 551-558
- 22 Anand N, Hamilton JF, Perri B, Miraliakbar H, Goldstein T. Cantilever TLIF with structural allograft and RhBMP2 for correction and maintenance of segmental sagittal lordosis: long-term clinical, radiographic, and functional outcome. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2006; 31 (20) E748-E753
- 23 Urist MR. Bone: formation by autoinduction. Science 1965; 150 (3698) 893-899
- 24 Robin BN, Chaput CD, Zeitouni S, Rahm MD, Zerris VA, Sampson HW. Cytokine-mediated inflammatory reaction following posterior cervical decompression and fusion associated with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2: a case study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2010; 35 (23) E1350-E1354
- 25 Patel VV, Zhao L, Wong P , et al. An in vitro and in vivo analysis of fibrin glue use to control bone morphogenetic protein diffusion and bone morphogenetic protein-stimulated bone growth. Spine J 2006; 6 (4) 397-403 , discussion 404
- 26 Glassman SD, Dimar JR, Carreon LY, Campbell MJ, Puno RM, Johnson JR. Initial fusion rates with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2/compression resistant matrix and a hydroxyapatite and tricalcium phosphate/collagen carrier in posterolateral spinal fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2005; 30 (15) 1694-1698
- 27 Smucker JD, Rhee JM, Singh K, Yoon ST, Heller JG. Increased swelling complications associated with off-label usage of rhBMP-2 in the anterior cervical spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2006; 31 (24) 2813-2819
- 28 Sears W. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion for degenerative spondylolisthesis: restoration of sagittal balance using insert-and-rotate interbody spacers. Spine J 2005; 5 (2) 170-179
- 29 Jacobs WC, Vreeling A, De Kleuver M. Fusion for low-grade adult isthmic spondylolisthesis: a systematic review of the literature. Eur Spine J 2006; 15 (4) 391-402
- 30 Steiger F, Becker HJ, Standaert CJ , et al. Surgery in lumbar degenerative spondylolisthesis: indications, outcomes and complications. A systematic review. Eur Spine J 2014; 23 (5) 945-973
- 31 Daffner SD, Beimesch CF, Wang JC. Geographic and demographic variability of cost and surgical treatment of idiopathic scoliosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2010; 35 (11) 1165-1169