Management and Surgical Outcomes of Concurrent Tuberculosis and Lung Cancer
11 January 2016
13 March 2016
25 April 2016 (eFirst)
Background Concurrent pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) and lung cancer are rarely encountered in Western countries; however, it is more common in developing countries. We aim to share the diagnostic and treatment approaches in this study.
Materials and Methods Clinical files of all patients undergoing lung resection for non–small cell carcinoma with concurrent pulmonary TB between February 2006 and December 2012 were investigated retrospectively in terms of patient characteristics, operation methods, definite pathology and stage of tumor, postoperative treatment schemes, and associated complications.
Results TB was detected in 17 (1.3%) of 1,266 operated carcinoma patients. Eleven had squamous cell carcinoma and six had adenocarcinoma. Mean age was 54.9 years. Two patients received anti-TB treatment preoperatively. Fifteen patients were given anti-TB treatment postoperatively, as soon as definite microbiological confirmation was obtained, and concurrently given adjuvant therapy after 3 weeks of sole four-drug TB treatment. Pneumonectomy was performed in four (23.5%), sleeve lobectomy in three (17.6%), lobectomy in eight (47%), and bilobectomy in two (11.7%) patients. Postoperative complications occurred in four (23.5%) patients, with bronchopleural fistula being seen in only one pneumonectomy patient. No postoperative mortality or reactivation of TB was seen. Mean survival time was 32 ± 2 months.
Conclusion Resection following a 3-week anti-TB treatment or concurrent anti-TB and postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy does not constitute an additional postoperative risk for patients with concomitant lung malignancy and pulmonary TB. The determination of optimum treatment for these patients presents a challenge in developing countries, where TB is still a common disease.
- 1 World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis report 2013. Available at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/91355/1/9789241564656_eng.pdf . Accessed Jan 3, 2016
- 2 Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health, Tuberculosis Department. Report of Tuberculosis in Turkey. 2010 (Article in Turkish) Available at: http://saglik.gov.tr/TR/dosya/1-68941/h/turkiyede-verem-savasi-2010-rapor.pdf . Accessed on Jan 6, 2016
- 3 Cicenas S, Vencevicius V. Lung cancer in patients with tuberculosis. World J Surg Oncol 2007; 5: 22
- 4 Sakuraba M, Hirama M, Hebisawa A, Sagara Y, Tamura A, Komatsu H. Coexistent lung carcinoma and active pulmonary tuberculosis in the same lobe. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 12 (01) 53-55
- 5 Bae JM, Li ZM, Shin MH, Kim DH, Lee MS, Ahn YO. Pulmonary tuberculosis and lung cancer risk in current smokers: the Seoul Male Cancer Cohort Study. J Korean Med Sci 2013; 28 (06) 896-900
- 6 Zhou Y, Cui Z, Zhou X. , et al. The presence of old pulmonary tuberculosis is an independent prognostic factor for squamous cell lung cancer survival. J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 8: 123
- 7 Leung CC, Hui L, Lee RS. , et al. Tuberculosis is associated with increased lung cancer mortality. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2013; 17 (05) 687-692
- 8 Kim YI, Goo JM, Kim HY, Song JW, Im JG. Coexisting bronchogenic carcinoma and pulmonary tuberculosis in the same lobe: radiologic findings and clinical significance. Korean J Radiol 2001; 2 (03) 138-144
- 9 Harikrishna J, Sukaveni V, Kumar DP. , et al. Cancer and tuberculosis. J Indian Acad Clin Med 2012; 13: 142-144
- 10 Hsu K-Y, Lee H-C, Ou C-C, Luh SP. Value of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary tuberculoma: 53 cases analysis and review of literature. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 2009; 10 (05) 375-379
- 11 Ben M'Rad S, Azzabi S, Baccar MA, Aouina H, Bouacha H, Nacef T. [Broncho-pulmonary cancer associated with pulmonary tuberculosis. Report of 4 cases]. Rev Pneumol Clin 1998; 54 (01) 23-25
- 12 Wang JY, Hsueh PR, Jan IS. , et al. Empirical treatment with a fluoroquinolone delays the treatment for tuberculosis and is associated with a poor prognosis in endemic areas. Thorax 2006; 61 (10) 903-908
- 13 Frieden T. Toman's Tuberculosis Case Detection, Treatment, and Monitoring: Questions and Answers. 2nd ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004
- 14 Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health, Tuberculosis Department. The Handbook for Controlling Tuberculosis in Turkey. Ankara: Rekmay Ltd; 2003
- 15 Solak O, Sayar A, Metin M. , et al. The coincidence of mediastinal tuberculosis lymphadenitis in lung cancer patients. Acta Chir Belg 2005; 105 (02) 180-182