Subscribe to RSS
Birth Weight by Gestational Age for 76,710 Twins Born in the United States as a Result of In Vitro Fertilization: 2006 to 2010
14 November 2015
11 March 2016
16 May 2016 (online)
Objective The objective of this study was to establish twin-specific birth weight percentiles by gestational age using U.S. twin births resulting from in vitro fertilization (IVF).
Study Design A retrospective analysis of birth weight by completed weeks of gestation for 76,710 twin IVF births reported to the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies from 2006 to 2010. Mean and median birth weights and 3rd, 5th, 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, 90th, and 97th percentiles were calculated by completed week of gestation and infant sex.
Results IVF twin birth weight accelerates until term and then declines. The deceleration in twin birth weight occurs at 39 completed weeks of gestation for larger twins, those at or above the 50th percentile in weight. For smaller twins, the growth deceleration occurs earlier, at 38 weeks of gestation. IVF female and male twin birth weights for gestational age were similar to all IVF twins, showing similar decelerations near term.
Conclusion Using U.S. IVF twin-specific growth charts, with known date of conception, twins demonstrate a deceleration in birth weight near term. Larger twins demonstrate a deceleration in birth weight by 39 completed weeks of gestation; smaller twins show a deceleration at 38 weeks. These data may assist in the clinical management of twins near term.
- 1 Battaglia FC, Lubchenco LO. A practical classification of newborn infants by weight and gestational age. J Pediatr 1967; 71 (2) 159-163
- 2 Ott WJ. Small for gestational age fetus and neonatal outcome: reevaluation of the relationship. Am J Perinatol 1995; 12 (6) 396-400
- 3 Doctor BA, O'Riordan MA, Kirchner HL, Shah D, Hack M. Perinatal correlates and neonatal outcomes of small for gestational age infants born at term gestation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2001; 185 (3) 652-659
- 4 Paz I, Gale R, Laor A, Danon YL, Stevenson DK, Seidman DS. The cognitive outcome of full-term small for gestational age infants at late adolescence. Obstet Gynecol 1995; 85 (3) 452-456
- 5 Milovanovic I, Njuieyon F, Deghmoun S, Chevenne D, Levy-Marchal C, Beltrand J. SGA children with moderate catch-up growth are showing the impaired insulin secretion at the age of 4. PLoS ONE 2014; 9 (6) e100337 10.1371/journal.pone.0100337
- 6 Barker DJ, Osmond C, Forsén TJ, Kajantie E, Eriksson JG. Trajectories of growth among children who have coronary events as adults. N Engl J Med 2005; 353 (17) 1802-1809
- 7 Leger J, Levy-Marchal C, Bloch J , et al. Reduced final height and indications for insulin resistance in 20 year olds born small for gestational age: regional cohort study. BMJ 1997; 315 (7104) 341-347
- 8 Ibáñez L, Potau N, Ferrer A, Rodriguez-Hierro F, Marcos MV, de Zegher F. Reduced ovulation rate in adolescent girls born small for gestational age. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002; 87 (7) 3391-3393
- 9 Hansen M, Colvin L, Petterson B, Kurinczuk JJ, de Klerk N, Bower C. Twins born following assisted reproductive technology: perinatal outcome and admission to hospital. Hum Reprod 2009; 24 (9) 2321-2331
- 10 Nassar AH, Usta IM, Rechdan JB, Harb TS, Adra AM, Abu-Musa AA. Pregnancy outcome in spontaneous twins versus twins who were conceived through in vitro fertilization. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003; 189 (2) 513-518
- 11 Helmerhorst FM, Perquin DA, Donker D, Keirse MJ. Perinatal outcome of singletons and twins after assisted conception: a systematic review of controlled studies. BMJ 2004; 328 (7434) 261 DOI: 10.1136/bmj.37957.560278.EE.
- 12 Li Z, Wang YA, Ledger W, Sullivan EA. Birthweight percentiles by gestational age for births following assisted reproductive technology in Australia and New Zealand, 2002-2010. Hum Reprod 2014; 29 (8) 1787-1800
- 13 Alexander GR, Kogan M, Martin J, Papiernik E. What are the fetal growth patterns of singletons, twins, and triplets in the United States?. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1998; 41 (1) 114-125
- 14 Kiely JL. The epidemiology of perinatal mortality in multiple births. Bull N Y Acad Med 1990; 66 (6) 618-637
- 15 Luke B, Minogue J, Witter FR, Keith LG, Johnson TRB. The ideal twin pregnancy: patterns of weight gain, discordancy, and length of gestation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993; 169 (3) 588-597
- 16 Luke B. Reducing fetal deaths in multiple births: optimal birthweights and gestational ages for infants of twin and triplet births. Acta Genet Med Gemellol (Roma) 1996; 45 (3) 333-348
- 17 Page JM, Pilliod RA, Snowden JM, Caughey AB. The risk of stillbirth and infant death by each additional week of expectant management in twin pregnancies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015; 212 (5) 630.e1-630.e7
- 18 Tukey JW. Exploratory Data Analysis. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley; 1977
- 19 Glinianaia SV, Skjaerven R, Magnus P. Birthweight percentiles by gestational age in multiple births. A population-based study of Norwegian twins and triplets. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2000; 79 (6) 450-458
- 20 Dobbins TA, Sullivan EA, Roberts CL, Simpson JM. Australian national birthweight percentiles by sex and gestational age, 1998-2007. Med J Aust 2012; 197 (5) 291-294
- 21 Dickey RP, Xiong X, Klempel MC, Pridjian G. Singleton birth weight by gestational age following in vitro fertilization in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016; 214 (1) 101.e1-101.e13
- 22 Min SJ, Luke B, Gillespie B , et al. Birth weight references for twins. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000; 182 (5) 1250-1257
- 23 Sankilampi U, Hannila ML, Saari A, Gissler M, Dunkel L. New population-based references for birth weight, length, and head circumference in singletons and twins from 23 to 43 gestation weeks. Ann Med 2013; 45 (5–6) 446-454
- 24 Ott WJ. Intrauterine growth retardation and preterm delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993; 168 (6 Pt 1) 1710-1715 , discussion 1715–1717
- 25 Joseph KS, Huang L, Liu S , et al; Fetal and Infant Health Study Group of the Canadian Perinatal Surveillance System. Reconciling the high rates of preterm and postterm birth in the United States. Obstet Gynecol 2007; 109 (4) 813-822
- 26 Gee RR, Dickey RP, Xiong L, Clark L, Pridjian G. Impact of monozygotic twining on multiple births resulting from IVF in the United States 2006–2010. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014; 210 (5) 468.e1-468.e6