Subscribe to RSS
Intrathecal/Intraventricular Linezolid in Multidrug-Resistant Enterococcus faecalis Ventriculitis
26 April 2016
19 August 2016
17 November 2016 (online)
Background The use of intrathecal antibiotic therapy for the treatment of ventriculitis and/or meningitis has demonstrated efficacy especially when sterilization of the cerebrospinal fluid is not possible with intravenous antibiotics alone.
Case Description We describe the successful treatment of Enterococcus faecalis ventriculitis utilizing intrathecal linezolid in a 32-year-old female patient with severe allergy to vancomycin, prohibitive bacterial susceptibilities, and failure of previous attempts to sterilize the cerebrospinal fluid despite multimodal treatment.
Conclusion Intrathecal linezolid is a useful treatment in the setting of multidrug-resistant bacterial ventriculitis. We present a useful dosing regimen for the administration of intrathecal linezolid.
This report has no specific funding sources.
- 1 Remeš F, Tomáš R, Jindrák V, Vaniš V, Setlík M. Intraventricular and lumbar intrathecal administration of antibiotics in postneurosurgical patients with meningitis and/or ventriculitis in a serious clinical state. J Neurosurg 2013; 119 (6) 1596-1602
- 2 Wang JS, Muzevich K, Edmond MB, Bearman G, Stevens MP. Central nervous system infections due to vancomycin-resistant enterococci: case series and review of the literature. Int J Infect Dis 2014; 25: 26-31
- 3 Denetclaw TH, Suehiro I, Wang PK, Tolliver GL. Successful treatment of ventriculostomy-associated meningitis caused by multidrug resistant coagulase-negative Staphylococcus epidermidis using low-volume intrathecal daptomycin and loading strategy. Ann Pharmacother 2014; 48 (10) 1376-1379
- 4 Knoll BM, Hellmann M, Kotton CN. Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium meningitis in adults: case series and review of the literature. Scand J Infect Dis 2013; 45 (2) 131-139
- 5 Bain KTWE, Wittbrodt ET. Linezolid for the treatment of resistant gram-positive cocci. Ann Pharmacother 2001; 35 (5) 566-575
- 6 Gill CJMM, Murphy MA, Hamer DH. Treatment of Staphylococcus epidermidis ventriculo-peritoneal shunt infection with linezolid. J Infect 2002; 45 (2) 129-132