Absorbable Implant to Treat Nasal Valve Collapse
07 April 2017 (online)
Objective To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of an absorbable implant for lateral cartilage support in subjects with nasal valve collapse (NVC) with 12 months follow-up.
Methods Thirty subjects with Nasal Obstruction Symptom Evaluation (NOSE) score ≥ 55 and isolated NVC were treated; 14 cases were performed in an operating suite under general anesthesia and 16 cases were performed in a clinic-based setting under local anesthesia. The implant, a polylactic acid copolymer, was placed with a delivery tool within the nasal wall to provide lateral cartilage support. Subjects were followed up through 12 months postprocedure.
Results Fifty-six implants were placed in 30 subjects. The mean preoperative NOSE score was 76.7 ± 14.8, with a range of 55 to 100. At 12 months, the mean score was 35.2 ± 29.2, reflecting an average within-patient reduction of –40.9 ± 31.2 points. The majority (76%) of the subjects were responders defined as having at least one NOSE class improvement or a NOSE score reduction of at least 20%. There were no adverse changes in cosmetic appearance at 12 months postprocedure. Three implants in three subjects required retrieval within 30 days postprocedure and resulted in no clinical sequelae.
Conclusion This study demonstrates safety and effectiveness of an absorbable implant for lateral cartilage support in subjects with NVC at 12 months postprocedure.
- 1 Mink PJ. Physiologie der Obern Luftwege. Leipzig. Germany: Vogel; 1920
- 2 Becker SS, Dobratz EJ, Stowell N, Barker D, Park SS. Revision septoplasty: review of sources of persistent nasal obstruction. Am J Rhinol 2008; 22 (4) 440-444
- 3 Most SP. Trends in functional rhinoplasty. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2008; 10 (6) 410-413
- 4 Most SP. Comparing methods for repair of the external valve: one more step toward a unified view of lateral wall insufficiency. JAMA Facial Plast Surg 2015; 17 (5) 345-346
- 5 Stewart MG, Smith TL, Weaver EM , et al. Outcomes after nasal septoplasty: results from the Nasal Obstruction Septoplasty Effectiveness (NOSE) study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130 (3) 283-290
- 6 Lavinsky-Wolff M, Camargo Jr HL, Barone CR , et al. Effect of turbinate surgery in rhinoseptoplasty on quality-of-life and acoustic rhinometry outcomes: a randomized clinical trial. Laryngoscope 2013; 123 (1) 82-89
- 7 Sufyan A, Ziebarth M, Crousore N, Berguson T, Kokoska MS. Nasal batten grafts: are patients satisfied?. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2012; 14 (1) 14-19
- 8 Murrell GL. Auricular cartilage grafts and nasal surgery. Laryngoscope 2004; 114 (12) 2092-2102
- 9 Cochran CS, Ducic Y, DeFatta RJ. Restorative rhinoplasty in the aging patient. Laryngoscope 2007; 117 (5) 803-807
- 10 Islam A, Arslan N, Felek SA, Celik H, Demirci M, Oguz H. Reconstruction of the internal nasal valve: modified splay graft technique with endonasal approach. Laryngoscope 2008; 118 (10) 1739-1743
- 11 Toriumi DM, Josen J, Weinberger M, Tardy Jr ME. Use of alar batten grafts for correction of nasal valve collapse. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 123 (8) 802-808
- 12 Akcam T, Friedman O, Cook TA. The effect on snoring of structural nasal valve dilatation with a butterfly graft. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130 (11) 1313-1318
- 13 Winkler AA, Soler ZM, Leong PL, Murphy A, Wang TD, Cook TA. Complications associated with alloplastic implants in rhinoplasty. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2012; 14 (6) 437-441
- 14 Ramakrishnan JB, Danner CJ, Yee SW. The use of porous polyethylene implants to correct nasal valve collapse. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 136 (3) 357-361
- 15 Berghaus A. Implants for reconstructive surgery of the nose and ears. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 6: Doc06
- 16 Khosh MM, Jen A, Honrado C, Pearlman SJ. Nasal valve reconstruction: experience in 53 consecutive patients. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2004; 6 (3) 167-171
- 17 Stewart MG, Witsell DL, Smith TL, Weaver EM, Yueh B, Hannley MT. Development and validation of the Nasal Obstruction Symptom Evaluation (NOSE) scale. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130 (2) 157-163
- 18 Lipan MJ, Most SP. Development of a severity classification system for subjective nasal obstruction. JAMA Facial Plast Surg 2013; 15 (5) 358-361
- 19 Rhee JS, Sullivan CD, Frank DO, Kimbell JS, Garcia GJ. A systematic review of patient-reported nasal obstruction scores: defining normative and symptomatic ranges in surgical patients. JAMA Facial Plast Surg 2014; 16 (3) 219-225 , quiz 232
- 20 Landes CA, Ballon A, Roth C. In-patient versus in vitro degradation of P(L/DL)LA and PLGA. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2006; 76 (2) 403-411