Pitch-Matching Accuracy and Temporal Auditory Processing
23. Dezember 2016
01. Mai 2017
13. Juni 2017 (online)
Introduction Pitch-matching refers to the ability to vocally reproduce an acoustic model in a corresponding tone to the presented sound. This ability, which is dependent on pitch perception ability, can vary among individuals, and some are not able to sing in the correct tune or discriminate differences between tones.
Objective To correlate pitch-matching accuracy and auditory processing in individuals without musical training.
Methods A Pitch-Matching Test (vocal reproduction of synthesized and human voice sounds) and two commercially available tests of auditory temporal processing (the Pitch Pattern Sequence Test and the Random Gap Detection Test) were administered to all participants. A total of 62 college students of both genders, aged between 18 and 35 years old, were divided into 2 groups, according to their performances in the Pitch-Matching Test (the accurate match group and the inaccurate match group).
Results In the Pitch-Matching Test, both groups achieved better results when reproducing vocalized sounds. The accurate match group achieved a significantly higher pitch pattern sequence test performance. In the Random Gap Detection Test analysis, there were no differences between the two groups. The Pearson's chi-squared test showed a direct correlation between the Pitch-Matching Test and the Pitch Pattern Sequence Test.
Conclusion The findings of this study suggest the existence of a significant relationship between temporal auditory processing and pitch-matching, through which accurate pitch-matching individuals perform better in the Pitch Pattern Sequence Test. Inaccurate pitch-matching individuals may be skilled at discriminating pitch, despite their poor performance in the Pitch-Matching Test.
- 1 Sobreira S. Desafinação vocal. 2nd ed. Rio de Janeiro: Musimed; 2003
- 2 Watts C, Murphy J, Barnes-Burroughs K. Pitch matching accuracy of trained singers, untrained subjects with talented singing voices, and untrained subjects with nontalented singing voices in conditions of varying feedback. J Voice 2003; 17 (02) 185-194
- 3 Brashears SM, Morlet TG, Berlin CI, Hood LJ. Olivocochlear efferent suppression in classical musicians. J Am Acad Audiol 2003; 14 (06) 314-324
- 4 Heresniak M. The Care and Training of Adult Bluebirds: Teaching the Singing Impaired. J Sing 2004; 61 (01) 9-25
- 5 Moore RE, Estis J, Gordon-Hickey S, Watts C. Pitch discrimination and pitch matching abilities with vocal and nonvocal stimuli. J Voice 2008; 22 (04) 399-407
- 6 ASHA. Central auditory processing disorders [Internet]. Rockville: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association; 2005. . Available at: www.asha.org/policy/TR2005-00043 . Accessed Feb 16, 2016
- 7 Samelli AG, Schochat E. Processamento Auditivo, Resolução Temporal e Teste de Detecção de Gap: Revisão da Literatura. Rev CEFAC 2008; 10 (03) 369-377
- 8 Moore BCJ. An introduction to the psychology of hearing. San Diego: Academic Press; 1997
- 9 Allen P. Acoustics and Psychoacoustics. In: Roeser R. , ed. Audiology Diagnosis. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers; 2000: 153-180
- 10 Schochat E, Andrade AN, Takeyama FC. , et al. Processamento auditivo: comparação entre potenciais evocados auditivos de média latência e testes de padrões temporais. Rev. CEFAC 2009; 11 (02) 314-322
- 11 Musiek FE, Baran JA, Pinheiro ML. Neuroaudiology: case studies. San Diego: Singular; 1994
- 12 Shinn J. Temporal Processing and Temporal Patterning Tests. In: Musiek F, Chemak G. . eds. Handbook of (Central) Auditory Processing Disorder. Auditory Neuroscience and Diagnosis. Vol. 1. San Diego: Plural Publishing, Inc.; 2007
- 13 Balen SA. Processamento auditivo Central: Aspectos Temporais da Audição e Percepção Acústica da Fala. [thesis]. São Paulo: PUC; 1997
- 14 Ishii C, Arashiro PM, Desgualdo L. Ordering and temporal resolution in professional singers and in well tuned and out of tune amateur singers. Pro Fono 2006; 18 (03) 285-292
- 15 Monteiro RAM, Nascimento FM, Soares CD, Ferreira MDC. Habilidades de resolução temporal em músicos violinistas e não músicos. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2010; 14 (03) 302-308
- 16 Lloyd LL, Kaplan H. Audiometric interpretation: a manual of basic audiometry. Baltimore: University Park Press; 1978
- 17 Loiola CM, Ferreira LP. Coral amador: efeitos de uma proposta de intervenção fonoaudiológica. Rev CEFAC 2010; 12 (05) 831-841
- 18 Keith RW. Manual of The Random Gap Detection Test. St. Louis: Auditec; 2000
- 19 Auditec: Evaluation manual of pitch pattern sequence and duration pattern sequence. St. Louis: Auditec; 1997
- 20 Watts CR, Hall MD. Timbral influences on vocal pitch-matching accuracy. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol 2008; 33 (02) 74-82
- 21 Lévêque Y, Giovanni A, Schön D. Pitch-matching in poor singers: human model advantage. J Voice 2012; 26 (03) 293-298
- 22 Granot RY, Israel-Kolatt R, Gilboa A, Kolatt T. Accuracy of pitch matching significantly improved by live voice model. J Voice 2013; 27 (03) 390.e13-390.e20
- 23 Santos DG, Bouzada MAC. O Processamento Auditivo Central e a Desafinação Vocal. Inter Sci Place 2013; 25 (01) 93-111
- 24 Pereira LD. Processamento auditivo. Temas Sobre Desenvolvimento 1993; 2 (11) 7-14
- 25 Musiek FE, Pinheiro ML. Frequency patterns in cochlear, brainstem, and cerebral lesions. Audiology 1987; 26 (02) 79-88
- 26 Watts C, Moore R, McCaghren K. The relationship between vocal pitch-matching skills and pitch discrimination skills in untrained accurate and inaccurate singers. J Voice 2005; 19 (04) 534-543
- 27 Moore RE, Keaton C, Watts C. The role of pitch memory in pitch discrimination and pitch matching. J Voice 2007; 21 (05) 560-567
- 28 Bradshaw E, McHenry MA. Pitch discrimination and pitch matching abilities of adults who sing inaccurately. J Voice 2005; 19 (03) 431-439