Quantitative Blood Velocity Mapping in Glomerular Capillaries by in vivo Observation with an Intravital Videomicroscope
07 February 2018 (online)
We have evaluated rat glomerular microcirculation under in-vivo condition with an intravital videomicroscope. To measure erythrocyte velocities, a line segment was set along the glomerular capillaries in time-sequential videotaped images and then a spatiotemporal image was constructed along that segment. The angle of striped pattern in the spatio-temporal image which reflects the erythrocyte velocity, was estimated to compute erythrocyte velocity vector mapping. We found that erythrocyte velocities in rat glomeruli were significantly faster in diabetic rats than in control rats (p <0.05). In conclusion, we have succeeded in quantitatively evaluating the in-vivo renal microcirculation with our videomicroscope system and by spatiotemporal image analyzing method.
- 1 Edwards RM. Segmental effects of norepinephrine and angiotensin II on isolated renal microvessels. Am J Physiol 1983; 244: F526-34.
- 2 Yuan BH, Robinette JB, Conger JD. Effect of angiotensin II and norepinephrine on isolated rat afferent and efferent arterioles. Am J Physiol 1990; 258: F741-50.
- 3 Carmines PK, Morrison TK, Navar LG. Angiotensin II effects on microvascular diameters of in vitro blood – perfused juxtamedullary nephrons. Am J Physiol 1986; 251: F610-8.
- 4 Steinhausen M, Snoei H, Parekh N. et al. Hydronephrosis: A new method to visualize vas afferens, efferens, and glomerular network. Kidney Int 1983; 23: 794-806.
- 5 Loutzenhiser R, Epstein M, Hayashi K. et al. Characterization of the renal microvascular effects of angiotensin II antagonist, DuP 753: studies in isolated perfused hydronephrotic kidneys. Am J Hypertens 1991; 4: 309S-14S.
- 6 Steinhausen M, Zimmerhackl B, Thederan H. et al. Intraglomerular microcirculation: Measurements of single glomerular loop flow in rats. Kidney Int 1981; 20: 230-9.
- 7 Yada T, Hiramatsu O, Kimura A. et al. In vivo observation of subendocardial micro-vessels of the beating porcine heart using a needle-probe videomicroscope with a CCD camera. Circ Res 1993; 72: 939-46.
- 8 Hiramatsu O, Goto M, Yada T. et al. Diameters of subendocardial arterioles and venules during prolonged diastole in canine left ventricles. Circ Res 1994; 75: 393-7.
- 9 Yada T, Hiramatsu O, Goto M. et al. Effects of nitroglycerin on diameter and pulsation amplitude of subendocardial arterioles in beating porcine heart. Am J Physiol 1994; 267: H1719-25.
- 10 Yada T, Hiramatsu O, Kimura A. et al. Direct in vivo observation of subendocardial arteriolar response during reactive hyper-emia. Circ Res 1995; 77: 622-31.
- 11 Hiramatsu O, Goto M, Yada T. et al. In vivo observation of the intramural arterioles and venules in beating canine hearts. J Physiol 1998; 509: 619-28.