Preliminary Findings of Adult Health Screening under National Health Insurance in Taiwan
08. Februar 2018 (online)
Objectives: To provide baseline values of health elated parameters for the Taiwanese population.
Methods: A systematic sample of 9016 out of 692,311 persons undergoing health check-ups is analyzed and described, and compared to a similar survey undertaken ten years ago. Some physical indices and lab tests exhibited significant age and sex related differences.
Results: The prevalence of groups of diseases, and the distribution of test results by age and sex are reported and compared to other studies.
Conclusions: Compared to the survey conducted ten years ago, Taiwanese adults are taller and heavier, but not necessarily healthier.
- 1 Chang K, Du M. The screening and early detection of common cancers in Taiwan. Clinical Medicine 1995; 35 (Suppl. 05) 329-39.
- 2 Department of Health, Taiwan.. Public Health in Republic of China. 1998
- 3 The Bureau of National Health Insurance, Department of Health, Taiwain.. A Summary of National Health Insurance Rules. 1998
- 4 Lee S, Lai M. Review of the delivery of pilot preventive health care services under national insurance in Taiwan. Chin J Fam Med 1997; 7: 94-105.
- 5 Lee S, Chen T. Health care of the elderly. Continuing Medical Education 1995; 5: 100-8.
- 6 Lee S. The Development and contribution of geriatric medicine. Continuing Medical Education 1995; 5: 287-93.
- 7 Huang Y. The utilization analysis of preventive health care services provided by national health insurance in Taiwan. working paper: Dept. of Health Care Management, ChaugGung University; 1998
- 8 Krantz D, Baum A, Wideman M. Assessment of preferences for self-treatment and information in health care. J of Personality and Social Psychology 1980; 39: 977-90.
- 9 Cohen D, Henderson J. Health, Prevention, and Economics. London: Oxford University Press; 1991
- 10 Fisher M, Eckhart C. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: An assessment of the effectiveness of 169 interventions report of the US preventive services task force. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1989
- 11 Hsieh B. Clinical Internal Medicine. Taipei: Golden Stone Book Inc.; 1990
- 12 Mant D. Screening adults in general practice. In: Prevention in General Practice. 2 ed. London: Oxford University Press; 1993
- 13 Williams A. Screening for risk of CHD: Is it a wise use of resources?. In: Screening for Risk of Coronary Heart Disease. Chichester: John-Wiley and Sons; 1987. p 97-106.
- 14 Chang K. Practical techniques in implementing preventive health services. Taiwan Medical Journal 1998; 41: 15-6.
- 15 Lee S, Li C. Guidelines of physical examination in elderly. Primary Care Medicine 1996; 11: 206-11.
- 16 Lee S, Chuang R. Common diseases in primary care. Primary Care Medicine 1996; 11: 132-5.
- 17 World Health Organization.. Health Promotion: A discussion document on the concepts and principles (unpublished document ICP/HRS 602 [m01]). Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 1984
- 18 Berkanovic E, Gerber B, Brown H, Breslow L. Some issues concerning community-based chronic disease control programs. In: Progress in Cancer Control. New York: Liss; 1983. p 271-82.
- 19 Pan W, Nanas S, Dyer A. et al. The role of weight in the positive association between age and blood pressure. Am J of Epidemiology 1986; 124: 612-23.
- 20 Yen T, Lin R. A surveillance of health risk factors at Pei-Tou, Taipei. Public Health 1990; 17: 159-70.
- 21 Huang H, Chung Y. et al. A preliminary report of physical check-ups at Maykey Memorial Hospital for elderly in Taipei City. Chin J Fam Med 1993; 3: 27-37.
- 22 Kao M. Nation-wide Nutrition Surveys in Taiwan, 1986-88; 1986-88. Report No.: general physical, DOH project, DOH-77-0403-50.
- 23 Chiu Y, Huang S, Kao S. A surveillance of elderly health status at Kwei-San, Taoyuan. Public Health 1999; 25: 213-23.
- 24 Meei-jaw Clinic.. A Report of 1995 Physical Check-ups. Taiwan: Meei-jaw; 1996
- 25 Chuang R, Lee S. Laboratory tests and diagnostic readings for elderly. Primary Care Medicine 1997; 12: 14-18.
- 26 Heywood A, Sanson-Fisher R, Ring I, Mudge P. Risk Prevalence and Screening for Cancer by General Practitioners. 1994
- 27 Fowler G, Gray M, Anderson P. Prevention in general practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1993
- 28 Goldberg T, Chavin S. Preventive medicine and screening in older adults. J of the American Geriatrics Society 1997; 45: 344-54.