Yearb Med Inform 2000; 09(01): 65-70
Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart
Managing Clinical Knowledge for Health Care Improvement
07 March 2018 (online)
- 1 Cochrane Library. The Cochrane Controlled Trials Register . Oxford, England: Cochrane Collaboration; 1996
- 2 Balas EA, Stockham MG, Mitchell JA, Austin SM, West DA, Ewigman BG. The Columbia Registry of Information and Utilization Management Trials. J Am Med Inform Assoc 1996; 2: 307-15.
- 3 Bordley J. McGehee Harvey A: Two centuries of American Medicine . Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1976
- 4 Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group. Photocoagulation treatment of proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Clinical application of Diabetic Retinopathy study (DRS) findings. Ophthalmology 1981; 88: 583-600.
- 5 American Diabetes Association. Eye care guidelines for patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1988; 11: 745-6.
- 6 National Committee for Quality Assurance. Quality Compass 1997 . Annapolis Junction: NCQA Publications Center; 1997
- 7 Beare AS, Hobson D, Reed SE, Tyrrell DA. A comparison of live and killed influenzavirus vaccines. Report to the Medical Research Council’s Committee on Influenza and other Respiratory Virus Vaccines. Lancet 1968; 2: 418-22.
- 8 Centers for Disease Control Prevention Guidelines. MMWR 1997; 46: 913-9.
- 9 European working party. Streptokinase in recent myocardial infarction: a controlled multicentre trial. Br Med J 1971; 3: 325-31.
- 10 Sullivan HL. Eminase approval . Food and Drug Administration press release. 1989: 89-51.
- 11 Riley ID, Tarr PI, Andrews M, Pfeifer M, Howard R, Challands P, Jennison G. Immunisation with a polyvalent pneumococcal vaccine. Reduction of adult respiratory mortality in a New Guinea Highlands community. Lancet 1977; 1: 1338-41.
- 12 A randomized trial of propranolol in patients with acute myocardial infarction. I. Mortality results. JAMA 1982; 247: 1707-14.
- 13 Shapiro S, Venet W, Strax P, Venet L, Roser R. Ten-to fourteen-year effect of screening on breast cancer mortality. J Natl Cancer Inst 1982; 69: 349-55.
- 14 Lipid Research Clinics Program. The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial results. I. Reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease. JAMA 1984; 251: 351-64.
- 15 Recommendations regarding public screening for measuring blood cholesterol. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 95-3045, September 1995
- 16 Hardcastle JD, Armitage NC, Chamberlain J, Amar SS, James PD, Balfour TW. Fecal occult blood screening for colorectal cancer in the general population. Results of a controlled trial. Cancer 1986; 58: 397-403.
- 17 National Health Interview Survey 1992 http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dcpc/colorctl/colorect.htm
- 18 Malone JM, Snyder M, Anderson G, Bernhard VM, Holloway Jr GA., Bunt TJ. Prevention of amputation by diabetic education. Am J Surg 1989; 158: 520-3.
- 19 Ziegler JE. ADA offers revised guidelines for treating diabetes patients. Drug Topics 1998; 142: 44
- 20 Dickersin K, Chan S, Chalmers TC, Sacks HS, Smith H. Publication bias and clinical trials. Contr Clin Trials 1987; 8: 343-59.
- 21 Koren G, Graham K, Shear H, Einarson T. Bias against the null hypothesis: the reproductive hazards of cocaine. Lancet 1989; 50: 1440-2.
- 22 Kumar PD. Publication lag intervals -a reason for authors’ apathy?. J Assoc Physicians India 1992; 40: 623-4.
- 23 Balas EA, Austin SM, Ewigman BG, Brown GD, Mitchell JA. Methods of randomized controlled clinical trials in health services research. Med Care 1995; 33: 687-99.
- 24 Poyer RK. Time lag in four indexing services. Special Libraries 1982; 73: 142-6.
- 25 Poynard T, Conn HO. The retrieval of randomized clinical trials in liver disease from the medical literature: a comparison of MEDLARS and manual methods. Contr Clin Trials 1985; 6: 271-9.
- 26 Antman EM, Lau J, Kupelnick B, Mosteller F, Chalmers TC. A comparison of results of meta-analyses of randomized control trials and recommendations of clinical experts: treatments for myocardial infarction. IAMA 1992; 268: 240-8.
- 27 Pulido M, Gonzalez JC, Sanz F. Original articles published in Medicina Clinicaduring 30 years (1962-1992): number of authors, interval between acceptance and publication and bibliographic references. Med Clin (Bare) 1994; 103: 770-5.
- 28 Altman DG, Goodman SN. Transfer of technology from statistical journals to the biomedical literature: past trends and future predictions. IAMA 1994; 272: 129-32.
- 29 Lomas J, Anderson GM, Dornnick-Pierre K, Vayda E, Enkin MW, Hannah WJ. Do practice guidelines guide practice? The effect of a consensus statement on the practice of physicians. N Engl J Med 1989; 321: 1306-11.
- 30 Mulrow CD. Rationale for systematic reviews. Br Med J 1994; 309: 597-9.
- 31 Lundberg GD. Perspective from the editor of JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association. Bull Med Libs Assoc 1992; 80: 110-4.
- 32 Davidoff F, Haynes RB, Sackett DL, Smith R. Evidence-based medicine: anew journal to help doctors identify the information they need. Br Med J 1995; 310: 1085-6.
- 33 Elks ML. Malaise in medicine: we don’t teach what we do. South Med J 1994; 87: 70-3.
- 34 Fung AS. Accuracy of current educational literature on the staging of gastric carcinoma. World J Surg 1997; 21: 237-9.
- 35 Ferrell BR, McCaffery M, Rhiner M. Pain and addiction: an urgent need for change in nursing education. J Pain Symptom Manage 1992; 7: 117-24.
- 36 Weed LL. New connections between medical knowledge and patient care. Br Med J 1997; 315: 231-5.
- 37 Cranney M, Walley T. Same information, different decisions: the influence of evidence on the management of hypertension in the elderly. Br J Gen Pract 1996; 46: 661-3.
- 38 Gelijns AC, Rosenberg N, Moskowitz AJ. Capturing the unexpected benefits of medical research. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 693-8.
- 39 Ellis J, Mulligan I, Rower J, Sackett DL. Inpatient general medicine is evidence based. Lancet 1995; 346: 407-10.
- 40 Weed LL. Knowledge coupling, medical education and patient care. Crit Rev Med Inform 1986; 1: 55-79.
- 41 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 1996. Second Edition
- 42 Spilker B. Guide to Clinical Trials . New York: Raven Press; 1991
- 43 Moher D, Jadad AR, Nichol G, Penman M, Tugwell P, Walsh S. Assessing the quality of randomized controlled trials: an annotated bibliography of scales and checklists. Contr Clin Trials 1995; 16: 62-73.
- 44 Bigby M, Gadenne AS. Understanding and evaluating clinical trials. J Am A cad Dermatol 1996; 34: 555-90.
- 45 McDonald CJ, Overhagc JM. Guidelines you can follow and can trust: an ideal and an example. JAMA 1994; 271: 872-3.
- 46 Gao X, Johansson B, Shahsavar N, Arkad K, Ahlfeldt H, Wigertz O. Pre-compiling medical logic modules into C++ in building medical decision support syste:p15. Computed Methods Programs Biomed 1993; 41: 107-19.
- 47 Patel VL, Allen VG, Arocha JF, Shortliffe EH. Representing clinical guidelines in GLIF: Individual and collaborative expertise. J Am Med Inform Assoc 1998; 5: 467-83.
- 48 Ohno-Machado L, Gennari JH, Murphy SN, Jain NL, Tu SW, Oliver DE, Pattison Gordon E, Greenes RA, Shortliffe EH, Barnett GO. The Guide Line interchange format: A model for representing guidelines. J Am Med Inform Assoc 1998; 5: 357-72.
- 49 Balas EA, Boren SA, Hicks LL, Chonko AM, Stephenson K. Effects of linking practice data to published evidence: a randomized controlled trial of clinical direct reports. Med Care 1998; 36: 79-87.
- 50 Balas EA, Su KC, Solem JF, Li RZ, Brown GD. Upgrading clinical decision-support with published evidence: What can make the biggest difference. In Cesnik B, McCray AT, Scherrer J-R.. Proceedings MEDINFO 1998 . Amsterdam: IOS Press; 1998: 845-8.
- 51 Chambers CV, Balaban DJ, Carlson BL, Ungemack JA, Grasberger DM. Microcomputer-generatedreminders: Improving the compliance of primary care physicians with mammography screening guidelines. J Faro Pract 1989; 3: 273-80.
- 52 Fordham D, McPhee SJ, Bird JA, Rodnick JE, Detmer WM. The cancer prevention reminder system. MD Comp 1990; 7: 289-95.
- 53 McDonald CJ, Hui SL, Smith DM, Tierney WM, Cohen SJ, Weinberger M, McCabe GP. Reminders to physicians from an introspective computer medical record: A two-year randomized trial. Ann Int Med 1984; 100: 130-38.
- 54 McPhee SJ, Bird JA, Jenkins C, Fordham D. Promoting cancer screening: A randomized controlled trial of three interventions. Arch Intern Med 1989; 149: 1866-72.
- 55 Chambers CV, Balaban DJ, Carlson BL, Gras berger DM. The effect of microcom. puter-gerenrated reminders on influenza vaccination rates in a university-based fam. ily practice center. J Am Board Faro Pract 1991; 4: 19-26.
- 56 McDowell I, Newell C, Rosser W. A follow-up study of patients advised to obtain influenza immunizations. Faro Med 1990; 22: 303-6.
- 57 Ornstein SM, Garr DR, Jenkins RG, Rust PF, Amon A. Computer-generated physician and patient reminders: Tools to improve population adherence to selected preventive services. J Fam Pract 1991; 32: 82-90.
- 58 Turner BJ, Day SC, Borenstein B. A controlled trial to improve delivery of preventive care: physician or patient reminders?. J Gen Intern Med 1989; 4: 403-9.
- 59 Balas EA, Weingarten S, Garb CT, Blumenthal D, Boren SA, Brown GD. Improving preventive care by prompting physicians. Arch Int Med (in press).
- 60 Chan CW, Witherspoon JM. Health risk appraisal modifies cigarette smoking behavior among college students. J Gen Intern Med 1988; 3: 555-9.
- 61 Robinson TN. Community health behavior change through computer network health promotion: Preliminary findings from Stanford Health-Net. Comp Meth Prog Biomed 1989; 30: 137-44.
- 62 Rubin DH, Leventhal JM, Sadock RT, Letovsky E, Schottland P, Clemente I, McCarthy P. Educational intervention by computer in childhood asthma: A randomized clinical trial testing the use of a new teaching intervention in childhood asthma. Pediatrics 1986; 77: 1-10.
- 63 Wetstone SL, Sheehan TJ, Votaw RG, Peterson MG, Rothfield N. Evaluation of a computer based education lesson for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 1985; 12: 907-12.