Subscribe to RSS
Underdosing of Surfactant for Preterm Babies with Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Clinical Practice: A Retrospective Cohort StudyFunding This study was supported by Chiesi España, S.A.U., Barcelona, Spain. Chiesi España, S.A.U. was not involved in the collection and interpretation of data, as well as writing of the manuscript.
04 May 2018
25 September 2018
10 November 2018 (online)
Objective To evaluate the initial doses of surfactant administered to preterm infants with respiratory distress syndrome.
Study Design This is a retrospective cohort study of 206 preterm infants admitted in four level III neonatal intensive care units of acute tertiary care hospitals in Spain between 2013 and 2015.
Results The mean initial dose of surfactant was 173.9 (37.3) mg/kg, and 47.5% of infants received a dose of 200 mg/kg ± 10% (180–220 mg/kg), 47% less than 180 mg/kg (–10%), and 5.4% more than 220 mg/kg (+10%). Very preterm infants (<28 weeks) received higher initial doses than more mature infants, but in all cases, the mean doses were below the recommended 200 mg/kg (by 9.2% in gestational age 23–28 weeks, by 15.9% in 29–32 weeks, and by 24.3% in >32 weeks).
Conclusion Administration of surfactant below the prescribed dose is a frequent error in clinical practice. Inadvertently rounding down doses seems a plausible explanation.
The principal investigator H. B. had full access to the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity and accuracy of the data analysis. H. B. was responsible for the original conception and design of the study and drafted the final version of the manuscript. Coauthors S. R., M. D. E., and L. A. assisted in the implementation of the project, critical review of the manuscript at each step, and all data analysis, and participated in the manuscript approval of the final draft.
- 1 Zhang L, Cao HY, Zhao S. , et al. Effect of exogenous pulmonary surfactants on mortality rate in neonatal respiratory distress syndrome: A network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2015; 34: 46-54
- 2 Polin RA, Carlo WA. ; Committee on Fetus and Newborn; American Academy of Pediatrics. Surfactant replacement therapy for preterm and term neonates with respiratory distress. Pediatrics 2014; 133 (01) 156-163
- 3 Sankar MJ, Gupta N, Jain K, Agarwal R, Paul VK. Efficacy and safety of surfactant replacement therapy for preterm neonates with respiratory distress syndrome in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review. J Perinatol 2016; 36 (Suppl. 01) S36-S48
- 4 Bohlin K, Gudmundsdottir T, Katz-Salamon M, Jonsson B, Blennow M. Implementation of surfactant treatment during continuous positive airway pressure. J Perinatol 2007; 27 (07) 422-427
- 5 Niemarkt HJ, Hütten MC, Kramer BW. Surfactant for respiratory distress syndrome: new ideas on a familiar drug with innovative applications. Neonatology 2017; 111 (04) 408-414
- 6 Ramanathan R, Rasmussen MR, Gerstmann DR, Finer N, Sekar K. ; North American Study Group. A randomized, multicenter masked comparison trial of poractant alfa (Curosurf) versus beractant (Survanta) in the treatment of respiratory distress syndrome in preterm infants. Am J Perinatol 2004; 21 (03) 109-119
- 7 Ramanathan R, Bhatia JJ, Sekar K, Ernst FR. Mortality in preterm infants with respiratory distress syndrome treated with poractant alfa, calfactant or beractant: a retrospective study. J Perinatol 2013; 33 (02) 119-125
- 8 Fujii AM, Patel SM, Allen R, Doros G, Guo CY, Testa S. Poractant alfa and beractant treatment of very premature infants with respiratory distress syndrome. J Perinatol 2010; 30 (10) 665-670
- 9 Dizdar EA, Sari FN, Aydemir C. , et al. A randomized, controlled trial of poractant alfa versus beractant in the treatment of preterm infants with respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Perinatol 2012; 29 (02) 95-100
- 10 Singh N, Halliday HL, Stevens TP, Suresh G, Soll R, Rojas-Reyes MX. Comparison of animal-derived surfactants for the prevention and treatment of respiratory distress syndrome in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; (12) CD010249
- 11 Cogo PE, Facco M, Simonato M. , et al. Pharmacokinetics and clinical predictors of surfactant redosing in respiratory distress syndrome. Intensive Care Med 2011; 37 (03) 510-517
- 12 Sweet DG, Carnielli V, Greisen G. , et al. European Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Respiratory Distress Syndrome - 2016 Update. Neonatology 2017; 111 (02) 107-125
- 13 Dargaville PA, Gerber A, Johansson S. , et al; Australian and New Zealand Neonatal Network. Incidence and outcome of CPAP failure in preterm infants. Pediatrics 2016; 138 (01) e20153985
- 14 Dargaville PA, Aiyappan A, De Paoli AG. , et al. Continuous positive airway pressure failure in preterm infants: incidence, predictors and consequences. Neonatology 2013; 104 (01) 8-14
- 15 Cogo PE, Facco M, Simonato M. , et al. Dosing of porcine surfactant: effect on kinetics and gas exchange in respiratory distress syndrome. Pediatrics 2009; 124 (05) e950-e957
- 16 Jourdain G, Zacaria F, Ammar F, De Luca D. Appropriateness of surfactant dosing for preterm babies with respiratory distress syndrome: retrospective cohort study. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2016; 101 (02) F182-F183
- 17 Boix H, Fernández C, Castillo F. Surfactant doses: From words to action . [in Spanish ]. An Pediatr (Barc) 2016; 85 (01) 55-56
- 18 Borszewska-Kornacka MK, Kostuch M, Korbal P, Krajewski P. ; Polish RDS Study Group. Strategies of using surfactant: results of the first Polish national survey of daily practice. Dev Period Med 2015; 19 (3 Pt 1): 271-276
- 19 Sweet DG, Carnielli V, Greisen G. , et al; European Association of Perinatal Medicine. European consensus guidelines on the management of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome in preterm infants--2013 update. Neonatology 2013; 103 (04) 353-368
- 20 van Kaam AH, De Jaegere AP, Borensztajn D, Rimensberger PC. ; Neovent Study Group. Surfactant replacement therapy in preterm infants: a European survey. Neonatology 2011; 100 (01) 71-77
- 21 Singh N, Hawley KL, Viswanathan K. Efficacy of porcine versus bovine surfactants for preterm newborns with respiratory distress syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2011; 128 (06) e1588-e1595