Long-Term Outcomes of Carinal Sleeve Resection in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
22 November 2018
15 January 2019
26 February 2019 (online)
Background Carinal resections for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) invading the carina are challenging cases that require a therapeutic strategy. The aim of this study was to compare the oncologic outcomes and complications of patients who underwent carinal resection.
Methods Sixty-four patients who underwent carinal resection between 2005 and 2016 were evaluated. Data were retrospectively reviewed for indications, complications, and factors influencing long-term survival.
Results The study included 51 patients (79.7%) who underwent sleeve pneumonectomy (sP) and 13 patients who underwent carinal sleeve lobectomy (csL) as a curative therapy. Nine patients (14.1%) received induction chemotherapy. Complications were observed in 31 patients (48.8%), including 24 patients (47.1%) in the sP group and 7 patients (53.8%) in the csL group (p = 0.662). Six patients (9.4%) developed bronchopleural fistula. The 30-day mortality rate was 10.9% (n = 7). The 5- and 10-year survival rates were 42.2 and 23.1%, respectively. N2 and R1 were identified as factors affecting survival (p = 0.029 and p = 0.047).
Conclusion Carinal resections have acceptable morbidity, mortality, and long-term survival outcomes in central NSCLC. The main factors affecting survival are complete resection and nodal status. The results of csL were similar to those of sP. Therefore, we believe that csL should be performed in all eligible patients.
- 1 Abbott OA. Experiences with the surgical resection of the human carina, tracheal wall, and contralateral bronchial wall in cases of right total pneumonectomy. J Thorac Surg 1950; 19 (06) 906-922
- 2 Jensik RJ, Faber LP, Kittle CF, Miley RW, Thatcher WC, El-Baz N. Survival in patients undergoing tracheal sleeve pneumonectomy for bronchogenic carcinoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1982; 84 (04) 489-496
- 3 Rea F, Marulli G, Schiavon M. , et al. Tracheal sleeve pneumonectomy for non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): short and long-term results in a single institution. Lung Cancer 2008; 61 (02) 202-208
- 4 Eichhorn F, Storz K, Hoffmann H, Muley T, Dienemann H. Sleeve pneumonectomy for central non-small cell lung cancer: indications, complications, and survival. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 96 (01) 253-258
- 5 Grillo HC. Carinal reconstruction. Ann Thorac Surg 1982; 34 (04) 356-373
- 6 Porhanov VA, Poliakov IS, Selvaschuk AP. , et al. Indications and results of sleeve carinal resection. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 22 (05) 685-694
- 7 Sobin LH, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C. International Union against Cancer., ebrary Inc. TNM classification of malignant tumours. Chichester, West Sussex, UK; Hoboken (2009)
- 8 de Perrot M, Fadel E, Mercier O, Mussot S, Chapelier A, Dartevelle P. Long-term results after carinal resection for carcinoma: does the benefit warrant the risk?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 131 (01) 81-89
- 9 Oliaro A, Filosso PL, Cavallo A. , et al. The significance of intrapulmonary metastasis in non-small cell lung cancer: upstaging or downstaging? A re-appraisal for the next TNM staging system. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34 (02) 438-443 , discussion 443
- 10 Galetta D, Spaggiari L. Early and long-term results of tracheal sleeve pneumonectomy for lung cancer after induction therapy. Ann Thorac Surg 2018; 105 (04) 1017-1023
- 11 Melek H, Erol MM, Bayram SA, Çetinkaya G, Evrensel T, Sarıhan S. , et al. Pneumonectomy after neoadjuvant treatment. Turk Gogus Kalp Dama 2014; 22: 777-784 http://tgkdc.dergisi.org/summary.php3?id=2108
- 12 Mitchell JD, Mathisen DJ, Wright CD. , et al. Resection for bronchogenic carcinoma involving the carina: long-term results and effect of nodal status on outcome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2001; 121 (03) 465-471
- 13 Martin J, Ginsberg RJ, Abolhoda A. , et al. Morbidity and mortality after neoadjuvant therapy for lung cancer: the risks of right pneumonectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 72 (04) 1149-1154
- 14 Minnich DJ, Mathisen DJ. Anatomy of the trachea, carina, and bronchi. Thorac Surg Clin 2007; 17 (04) 571-585
- 15 Burfeind Jr WR, D'Amico TA, Toloza EM, Wolfe WG, Harpole DH. Low morbidity and mortality for bronchoplastic procedures with and without induction therapy. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80 (02) 418-421 , discussion 422
- 16 Ohta M, Sawabata N, Maeda H, Matsuda H. Efficacy and safety of tracheobronchoplasty after induction therapy for locally advanced lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125 (01) 96-100
- 17 Regnard J-F, Perrotin C, Giovannetti R. , et al. Resection for tumors with carinal involvement: technical aspects, results, and prognostic factors. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80 (05) 1841-1846
- 18 Yamamoto K, Miyamoto Y, Ohsumi A, Imanishi N, Kojima F. Surgical results of carinal reconstruction: an alterative technique for tumors involving the tracheal carina. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84 (01) 216-220