Magnesium Bioabsorbable Screw Fixation of Radial Styloid Fractures: Case Report
10 December 2018
03 March 2019
22 April 2019 (online)
Background Several types of fixation materials may be used for the radial styloid fractures such as Kirschner wire fixation, screw fixation, volar plate fixation, and fragment-specific radial buttress plate fixation. However, each of these fixation techniques has certain complications usually related to either the surgical dissection or the application of fixation and symptomatic permanent hardware. Implant removal secondary to irritation of prominent screw heads or bulky plates is not uncommon after radial styloid fracture fixation.
Case Description Herein, two patients with an isolated radial styloid fracture who were treated with bioabsorbable magnesium (alloy: MgYREZr) screws are presented. In both patients, the fracture union was achieved without any complication and need for implant removal.
Literature Review This is the first report on the use of magnesium screws for this indication.
Clinical Relevance Magnesium bioabsorbable compression screw fixation may be an alternative solution that eliminates removal operations due to symptomatic hardware in radial styloid fractures.
- 1 MacIntyre NJ, Dewan N. Epidemiology of distal radius fractures and factors predicting risk and prognosis. J Hand Ther 2016; 29 (02) 136-145
- 2 Helm RH, Tonkin MA. The chauffeur's fracture: simple or complex?. J Hand Surg [Br] 1992; 17 (02) 156-159
- 3 Reichel LM, Bell BR, Michnick SM, Reitman CA. Radial styloid fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (08) 1726-1741
- 4 Hoffmann R, Krettek C, Hetkämper A, Haas N, Tscherne H. [Osteosynthesis of distal radius fractures with biodegradable fracture rods. Results of two years follow-up]. Unfallchirurg 1992; 95 (02) 99-105
- 5 Kose O, Turan A, Unal M, Acar B, Guler F. Fixation of medial malleolar fractures with magnesium bioabsorbable headless compression screws: short-term clinical and radiological outcomes in eleven patients. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2018; 138 (08) 1069-1075
- 6 Gyuricza C, Carlson MG, Weiland AJ, Wolfe SW, Hotchkiss RN, Daluiski A. Removal of locked volar plates after distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (06) 982-985
- 7 Waizy H, Seitz JM, Reifenrath J. , et al. Biodegradable magnesium implants for orthopedic applications. J Mater Sci 2013; 48: 39-50
- 8 Plaass C, von Falck C, Ettinger S. , et al. Bioabsorbable magnesium versus standard titanium compression screws for fixation of distal metatarsal osteotomies - 3 year results of a randomized clinical trial. J Orthop Sci 2018; 23 (02) 321-327