The Adaptation and Implementation of a Medical–Dental Electronic Health Record in an Academic Dental CenterFunding This study was funded by HRSA (grant/award number: UD7HP28534) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources, Health Resources and Services Administration, through the Nurse Education, Practice, Quality, and Retention Program for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice.
10 August 2018
09 April 2019
23 May 2019 (online)
Background Several large health care systems in the United States have pioneered the integration of dentistry into their medical care delivery models. To date, no studies or case reports on combining medical information into the dental electronic health record within U.S. academic dental centers were found in the extant literature.
Objective This report details how we developed and implemented customized primary care elements into axiUm, a popular dental practice management software primarily used in dental schools, to facilitate medical–dental clinical integration. This work was undertaken to provide the infrastructure for nurse practitioners and dentists to deliver a holistic, integrated, person-centered approach to care.
Methods A multidisciplinary design team used the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Framework for Patient-centered Health Risk Assessments, an evidence-based framework to guide the adaptation of the existing axiUm dental record. The design featured individual data fields to source data, generate reports, and analyze information to improve clinical care and operations.
Results To date, medical information on more than 260 dental patients over 600 clinic visits has been documented in the adapted electronic health record.
Conclusion The customization capability of axiUm facilitated efficient and effective development and implementation processes. Training and user support were essential for effective implementation and led to further system refinements.
Protection of Human and Animal Subjects
No human/animal subjects were involved in the project.
- 1 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Oral health in America: a report of the Surgeon General 2000. Rockville, MD: Office of the Surgeon General; May 2000. . Available at: https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/retrieve/ResourceMetadata/NNBBJT/ . Accessed July 3, 2018
- 2 Burton LC, Anderson GF, Kues IW. Using electronic health records to help coordinate care. Milbank Q 2004; 82 (03) 457-481
- 3 Rudman W, Hart-Hester S, Jones W, Caputo N, Madison M. Integrating medical and dental records. A new frontier in health information management. J AHIMA 2010; 81 (10) 36-39
- 4 Acharya A, Shimpi N, Mahnke A, Mathias R, Ye Z. Medical care providers' perspectives on dental information needs in electronic health records. J Am Dent Assoc 2017; 148 (05) 328-337
- 5 Snyder JJ. Permanente Dental Associates P.C.: integrated care case study. J Calif Dent Assoc 2016; 44 (03) 173-175
- 6 Acharya A. Marshfield Clinic Health System: integrated care case study. J Calif Dent Assoc 2016; 44 (03) 177-181
- 7 Gesko DS. HealthPartners: integrated care case study. J Calif Dent Assoc 2016; 44 (03) 186-189
- 8 Exan. See what our customers are saying 2018. Available at: https://www.exansoftware.com/axium/ . Accessed July 3, 2018
- 9 Goetzel RZ, Staley P, Ogden L, Stange P, Fox J, Tabrizi M. , et al. A framework for patient-centered health risk assessments: providing health promotion and disease prevention services to medicare beneficiaries 2011. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011 . Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hra/frameworkforhra.pdf . Accessed August 2, 2014
- 10 Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Medicare Learning Network. The ABCs of the Annual Wellness Visit [updated 2017]. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/downloads/awv_chart_icn905706.pdf . Accessed August 3, 2014
- 11 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Evaluation and management services 2017. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/Downloads/eval-mgmt-serv-guide-ICN006764.pdf . Accessed February 2, 2015
- 12 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and National Center for Health Statistics. International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification 2010. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm . Accessed July, 3 2018
- 13 Payne TH, Corley S, Cullen TA. , et al. Report of the AMIA EHR-2020 Task Force on the status and future direction of EHRs. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2015; 22 (05) 1102-1110
- 14 Haber J, Spielman AI, Wolff M, Shelley D. Interprofessional education between dentistry and nursing: the NYU experience. J Calif Dent Assoc 2014; 42 (01) 44-51
- 15 Ismail AI. Our brand is transforming oral health. Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry Magazine 2016. Available at: https://dentistry.temple.edu/sites/dentistry/files/uploads/Diamond_Winter2016.pdf . Accessed June 29, 2018
- 16 Morgan C. Indiana University nursing and dental students learn clinical skills together in new experiential program. Daily Nurse. [online] 2018 . Available at: https://dailynurse.com/indiana-university-nursing-and-dental-students-learn-clinical-skills-together-in-new-experiential-program/ . Accessed June 23, 2018
- 17 University of Louisville School of Dentistry News. New clinic gives dental patients immediate access to nurse practitioner managed care 2018. Available at: http://louisville.edu/dentistry/news/new-clinic-gives-dental-patients-immediate-access-to-nurse-practitioner-managed-care . Accessed June 29, 2018
- 18 Dolce MC, Parker JL, Werlein D. Interprofessional education and practice in oral health: an implementation guide. J Interprof Care 2017; 31 (01) 1-4
- 19 Nelson EC, Batalden PB, Godfrey MM. Quality by Design: A Clinical Microsystems Approach. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass (OLD 22); 2007
- 20 Cresswell KM, Bates DW, Sheikh A. Ten key considerations for the successful implementation and adoption of large-scale health information technology. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2013; 20 (e1): e9-e13
- 21 Nielsen J. Usability Engineering. San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers; 1993