Quality of Root Canal Fillings Performed by Undergraduate Dental Students
30. September 2019 (online)
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the radiographic quality of root canal fillings performed by first and second clinical year dental students at the Faculty of Dentistry in Süleyman Demirel University, Turkey. Methods: The technical quality of 833 root canal fillings was evaluated by three examiners according to the density of the filling and the distance between the end of the filling and the radiographic apex. A root canal with acceptable filling length and homogeneous root filling was defined as being good quality endodontic work (GQEW). A treated tooth was defined as having good quality endodontic work tooth (GQEW-T) when all its canals had a GQEW rating. Results: A Chi-square (χ2) test at the 0.05 significance level was used for the statistical analysis of the data. Of a total of 833 root canals, 662 (79.47%) root fillings were classed as GQEW. Two hundred fifty canals (73.4%) (135 teeth) treated by first clinical year dental students were defined as GQEW-T while 412 canals (204 teeth) (73.9%) treated by second clinical year dental students were defined as GQEW-T (P>.05). Most of the GQEW-T were defined in anterior teeth (90.1%), whereas the fewest were in molar teeth (46.6%) for both first and second clinical year dental students (P<.001). Conclusions: The quality of root canal fillings in anterior teeth performed by undergraduate dental students in Isparta, Turkey was satisfactory. However, to improve the success with molar teeth, education about newer techniques and instruments must be incorporated into the preclinical and clinical curriculum. (Eur J Dent 2011;5:324-330)
- 1 Sjogren U, Hagglund B, Sundqvist G, Wing K. Factors affecting the long-term results of endodontic treatment. J Endod 1990;16:498-504.
- 2 Smith CS, Setchell DJ, Harty FJ. Factors influencing the success of conventional root canal therapy-a five-year retrospective study. Int Endod J 1993;26:321-333.
- 3 Strindberg LZ. The dependence of the results of pulp therapy on certain factors. Acta Odontol Scand 1956;14:1-174.
- 4 Grahnén H, Hansson L. The prognosis of pulp and root canal therapy. A clinical and radiographic follow-up examination. Odontol Revy 1961;12:146-165.
- 5 JI Ingle, JF Taintor (eds). Endodontics: Modern endodontic therapy. The Washington Study. Philadelphia, PA: Lea and Febiger; 1985.
- 6 de Moor RJ, Hommez GM, De Boever JG, Delme KI, Martens GE. Periapical health related to the quality of root canal treatment in a Belgian population. Int Endod J 2000;33:113- 120.
- 7 Kabak Y, Abbott PV. Prevalence of apical periodontitis and the quality of endodontic treatment in an adult Belarusian population. Int Endod J 2005;38:238-245.
- 8 Petersson K, Petersson A, Olsson B, Hakansson J, Wennberg A. Technical quality of root fillings in an adult Swedish population. Endod Dent Traumatol 1986;2:99-102.
- 9 Eriksen HM, Bjertness E, Orstavik D. Prevalence and quality of endodontic treatment in an urban adult population in Norway. Endod Dent Traumatol 1988;4:122-126.
- 10 Saunders WP, Saunders EM, Sadiq J, Cruickshank E. Technical standard of root canal treatment in an adult Scottish sub-population. Br Dent J 1997;24:382-386.
- 11 Weiger R, Hitzler S, Hermle G, Lost C. Periapical status, quality of root canal fillings and estimated endodontic treatment needs in an urban German population. Endod Dent Traumatol 1997;13:69-74.
- 12 Marques MD, Moreira B, Eriksen HM. Prevalence of apical periodontitis and results of endodontic treatment in an adult, Portuguese population. Int Endod J 1998;31:161-165.
- 13 Kirkevang LL, Horsted-Bindslev P, Orstavik D, Wenzel A. A comparison of the quality of root canal treatment in two Danish subpopulations examined 1974-75 and 1997-98. Int Endod J 2001;34:607-612.
- 14 Hommez GM, Coppens CR, De Moor RJ. Periapical health related to the quality of coronal restorations and root fillings. Int Endod J 2002;35:680-689.
- 15 Dummer PMH. Comparison of undergraduate endodontic teaching programs in the United Kingdom and in some dental schools in Europe and the United States. Int Endod J 1991;24:169-177.
- 16 Hayes SJ, Gibson M, Hammond M, Bryant ST, Dummer PM. An audit of root canal treatment performed by undergraduate students. Int Endod J 2001;34:501-505.
- 17 Moussa-Badran S, Roy B, Bessart du Parc AS, Bruyant M, Lefevre B, Maurin JC. Technical quality of root fillings performed by dental students at the dental teaching centre in Reims, France. Int Endod J 2008;41:679-684.
- 18 Er O, Sagsen B, Maden M, Cinar S, Kahraman Y. Radiographic technical quality of root fillings performed by dental students in Turkey. Int Endod J 2006;39:867-872.
- 19 Barrieshi-Nusair KM, Al-Omari MA, Al-Hiyasat AS. Radiographic technical quality of root canal treatment performed by dental students at the Dental Teaching Center in Jordan. J Dent 2004;32:301-307.
- 20 Eleftheriadis GI, Lambrianidis TP. Technical quality of root canal treatment and detection of iatrogenic errors in an undergraduate dental clinic. Int Endod J 2005;38:725-734.
- 21 Markova KB, Dakov KV, Stoikova MS. Root canal filling of endodontically treated teeth by dentistry students in clinical offices from 1996 to 1998--radiological results. Folia Medica (Plovdiv) 2001;43:34-37.
- 22 Burke FM, Lynch CD, Ní Ríordáin R, Hannigan A. Technical quality of root canal fillings performed in a dental school and the associated retention of root-filled teeth: a clinical follow-up study over a 5-year period. J Oral Rehabil 2009;36:508-515.
- 23 Lynch CD, Burke FM. Quality of root canal fillings performed by undergraduate dental students on single-rooted teeth. Eur J Dent Educ 2006;10:67-72.
- 24 Haznedaroğlu F, Dülger J, Ersev H, Dişçi R, Şirin S. Statistical evaluation of success rate of endodontic treatments (in Turkish). Dişhekimliği Dergisi 1995;19:36-41.
- 25 Yoldas O, Oztunc H, Topuz A, Isci AS. A radiographic evaluation of root canal treatment quality performed by fourth and fifth year dental students (in Turkish). On Dokuz Mayıs Universitesi Dis Hekimligi Fakultesi Dergisi 2004;8:65–68.
- 26 Cohen J. A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educ Psychol Meas 1960;20:37-46.
- 27 Chueh LH, Chen SC, Lee CM, Hsu YY, Pai SF, Kuo ML et al. Technical quality of root canal treatment in Taiwan. Int Endod J 2003;36:416-422.
- 28 Gröndahl HG, Jönsson W, Lindahl B. Diagnosis of periapical osteolytic process with orthopantomography and intraoral FMS radiography-a comparison. Swed Dent J 1970;63:679- 686.
- 29 De Cleen MJ, Schuurs AH, Wesselink PR, Wu MK. Periapical status and prevalence of endodontic treatment in an adult Dutch population. Int Endod J 1993;26:112-119.
- 30 Tamse A, Kaffe I, Fishel D. Zygomatic arch interference with correct radiographic diagnosis in maxillary molar endodontics. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol and Endod 1980;50:563-566.
- 31 Lambrianidis T. Observer variations in radiographic evaluation of endodontic therapy. Endod Dent Traumatol 1985;1:235-241.
- 32 Ödesjö B, Helldén L, Salonen L, Langeland K. Prevalence of previous endodontic treatment, technical standard and occurrence of periapical lesions in a randomly selected adult, general population. Endod Dent Traumatol 1990;6:265-272.
- 33 Gencoglu N, Pekiner FN, Gumru B, Helvacioglu D. Periapical status and quality of root fillings and coronal restorations in an adult Turkish subpopulation. Eur J Dent 2010;4:17-22.
- 34 Segura-Egea JJ, Jimenez-Pinzon A, Poyato-Ferrera M, Velasco-Ortega E, Rios-Santos JV. Periapical status and quality of root fillings and coronal restorations in an adult Spanish population. Int Endod J 2004;37:525-530.
- 35 Imfeld TN. Prevalence and quality of endodontic treatment in an elderly urban population of Switzerland. J Endod 1991;17:604-607.
- 36 Buckley M, Spangberg LS. The prevalence and technical quality of endodontic treatment in an American subpopulation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol and Endod 1995;79:92-100.
- 37 Sidaravicius B, Aleksejuniene J, Eriksen HM. Endodontic treatment and prevalence of apical periodontitis in an adult population of Vilnius, Lithuania. Endod Dent Traumatol 1999;15:210-215 38. Kirkevang LL, Orstavik D, Horsted-Bindslev P, Wenzel A. Periapical status and quality of root fillings and coronal restorations in a Danish population. Int Endod J 2000;33:509-515.
- 39 Tronstad L, Asbjornsen K, Doving L, Pedersen I, Eriksen HM. Influence of coronal restorations on the periapical health of endodontically treated teeth. Endod Dent Traumatol 2000;16:218-221.
- 40 Boucher Y, Matossian L, Rilliard F, Machtou P. Radiographic evaluation of the prevalence and technical quality of root canal treatment in a French subpopulation. Int Endod J 2002;35:229-238.
- 41 European Society of Endodontology. Consensus report of the European Society of Endodontology on quality guidelines for endodontic treatment. Int Endod J 1994;27:115- 124.
- 42 Lupi-Pegurier L, Bertrand MF, Muller-Bolla M, Rocca JP, Bolla M. Periapical status, prevalence and quality of endodontic treatment in an adult French population. Int Endod J 2002;35:690-697.
- 43 Boltacz-Rzepkowska E, Pawlicka H. Radiographic features and outcome of root canal treatment carried out in the Lodz region of Poland. Int Endod J 2003;36:27-32.
- 44 Dugas NN, Lawrence HP, Teplitsky PE, Pharoah MJ, Friedman S. Periapical health and treatment quality assessment of root-filled teeth in two Canadian populations. Int Endod J 2003;36:181-192.
- 45 Qualtrough AJE, Whitworth JM, Dummer PMH. Preclinical endodontology: an international comparison. Int Endod J 1999;32:406-414.
- 46 Cailleteau JG, Mullaney TP. Prevalence of teaching apical patency and various instrumentation and obturation techniques in United States Dental schools. J Endod 1997;23:394-396.
- 47 Kim S. Modern endodontic practice: instruments and techniques Dent Clin North Am 2004;48:1-9.
- 48 Pettiette MT, Delano EO, Trope M. Evaluation of success rate of endodontic treatment performed by students with stainless-steel and nickel-titanium hand files. J Endod 2001;27:124-127.