Percutaneous Management of Inferior Thyroid Artery Pseudoaneurysm Developed after Central Line Placement in a Cirrhotic PatientFunding None.
Iatrogenic arterial injury is a life-threatening complication of central venous catheterization. We report a rare case of percutaneous ultrasound-guided occlusion of inferior thyroid artery pseudoaneurysm that developed after attempted internal jugular vein cannulation in a cirrhotic patient.
14 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Fisher NC, Mutimer DJ. Central venous cannulation in patients with liver disease and coagulopathy–a prospective audit. Intensive Care Med 1999; 25 (05) 481-485
- 2 Taylor RW, Palagiri AV. Central venous catheterization. Crit Care Med 2007; 35 (05) 1390-1396
- 3 Guilbert MC, Elkouri S, Bracco D. et al. Arterial trauma during central venous catheter insertion: case series, review and proposed algorithm. J Vasc Surg 2008; 48 (04) 918-925, discussion 925
- 4 Debek AH, Jammaleddine GW, Bou-Khalil PK. Inferior thyroid artery injury after attempts of internal jugular venous catheterization. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2007; 21 (03) 422-424
- 5 Schummer W, Schummer C, Paxian M, Fröber R, Settmacher U. ECG recording of central venous catheter misplaced in inferior thyroid artery. Br J Anaesth 2005; 94 (03) 296-299
- 6 Ruan J, Zhang C, Peng Z, Tang DY, Feng Z. Inferior thyroid artery pseudoaneurysm associated with internal jugular vein puncture: a case report. BMC Anesthesiol 2015; 15: 71
- 7 Jeganathan R, Harkin DW, Lowry P, Lee B. Iatrogenic subclavian artery pseudoaneurysm causing airway compromise: treatment with percutaneous thrombin injection. J Vasc Surg 2004; 40 (02) 371-374
- 8 Hanson JM, Atri M, Power N. Ultrasound-guided thrombin injection of iatrogenic groin pseudoaneurysm: Doppler features and technical tips. Br J Radiol 2008; 81 (962) 154-163
- 9 Lasne D, Jude B, Susen S. From normal to pathological hemostasis. Can J Anaesth 2006; 53 (Suppl. 06) S2-S11