Subscribe to RSS
An Amplified Understanding of Homeopathy
25 April 2020 (online)
The several articles that comprise this issue of the journal are typically diverse in their scientific and clinical content, yet a common strand can be identified: the importance of signal amplification in homeopathy. In her seminal two-part review, Iris Bell develops the concept of homeopathy as a complex adaptive system, whose properties include small changes in inputs that can lead to disproportionately large changes in system outputs: the weak signal of the correct simillimum medicine can initiate a large healing response in the body.  She concludes that ‘the evidence suggests that every homeopathic medicine is a complex nano-scale system involving…electromagnetic, opto-electronic, quantum, and biological properties’.
Key to Dr Bell's concept is the succussion/dilution process that underpins the production of homeopathic medicines. Abhirup Basu and colleagues report that succussion of cupric oxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles triggers multi-sized bubble generation and turbulent fluid motion for a duration of up to 400 milliseconds. That biological systems have the capacity to amplify the signal associated with ultra-high dilutions, which in turn may be electromagnetic in nature, is implicated in the new research on solvatochromic dyes reported by Leoni Bonamin and her group.
By contrast, a fundamental aim for less, not more, is the keynote of Emma Macías-Cortés and co-workers’ planned clinical trial of homeopathy for treating obesity in adolescents and in Kusum Chand's & Priya Kapoor's reported cases of chronic urinary tract infection in whom homeopathic treatment was associated with a decreased use of antibiotics. In his Debate article, Todd Hoover highlights homeopathy's opportunities for growth despite a mainstream current of reductionist reasoning against it.
- 1 Bell IR. The complexity of the homeopathic healing response Part 1: the role of the body as a complex adaptive system in simillimum-initiated recovery from disease. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 42-50
- 2 Bell IR. The complexity of the homeopathic healing response Part 2: the role of the homeopathic simillimum as a complex system in initiating recovery from disease. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 51-64
- 3 Basu A, Temgire MK, Suresh AK, Bellare JR. Dilution-induced physico-chemical changes of metal oxide nanoparticles due to homeopathic preparation steps of trituration and succussion. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 65-78
- 4 Bonamin LV, Pedro RRP, Mota HMG. , et al. Characterization of Antimonium crudum activity using solvatochromic dyes. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 79-86
- 5 Macías-Cortés E, Arellano-Álvarez S, Vega-Monroy S. , et al. Efficacy of homeopathy in addition to a multidisciplinary intervention for overweight or obesity in Mexican adolescents: study protocol for a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 87-96
- 6 Chand KS, Kapoor P. Two case reports of integrated management of antibiotic-resistant urinary tract infection. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 97-106
- 7 Hoover TA. What future for Hahnemann's therapeutic system?. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 107-112