Emergence Delirium: Can Corticosteroids Contribute to It?
We report a case of emergence delirium after a propofol-based sedation for a renal biopsy in a teenager patient who had received high-dose and long-term corticosteroid treatment. Corticosteroid treatment is proposed as a possible risk factor for emergence delirium, although controlled studies are needed to assess this relationship. Although treatment for emergence delirium has not been well established, as described with steroid-induced psychiatric symptoms, antipsychotics could be a good therapeutic option.
Received: 29 January 2020
Accepted: 10 March 2020
17 April 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Moore AD, Anghelescu DL. Emergence delirium in pediatric anesthesia. Paediatr Drugs 2017; 19 (01) 11-20
- 2 Mason KP. Paediatric emergence delirium: a comprehensive review and interpretation of the literature. Br J Anaesth 2017; 118 (03) 335-343
- 3 Dubovsky AN, Arvikar S, Stern TA, Axelrod L. The neuropsychiatric complications of glucocorticoid use: steroid psychosis revisited. Psychosomatics 2012; 53 (02) 103-115
- 4 Hodgins GE, Saltz SB, Gibbs EP, Gonzalez R, Regan J, Nemeroff C. Steroid-induced psychosis in the pediatric population: a new case and review of the literature. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2018; 28 (05) 354-359
- 5 Judd LL, Schettler PJ, Brown ES. et al. Adverse consequences of glucocorticoid medication: psychological, cognitive, and behavioral effects. Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171 (10) 1045-1051
- 6 Fardet L, Petersen I, Nazareth I. Suicidal behavior and severe neuropsychiatric disorders following glucocorticoid therapy in primary care. Am J Psychiatry 2012; 169 (05) 491-497
- 7 Doerrfuss JI, Kramer S, Tafelski S, Spies CD, Wernecke KD, Nachtigall I. Frequency, predictive factors and therapy of emergence delirium: data from a large observational clinical trial in a broad spectrum of postoperative pediatric patients. Minerva Anestesiol 2019; 85 (06) 617-624
- 8 Sikich N, Lerman J. Development and psychometric evaluation of the pediatric anesthesia emergence delirium scale. Anesthesiology 2004; 100 (05) 1138-1145