Reading Epilepsy—An Interesting Case ReportFunding None.
Reading epilepsy is a language induced reflex epilepsy with common ictal manifestations of regional myoclonus. The electroencephalogram (EEG) often shows focal, regional, or generalized discharges, rarely there may not be any associated EEG changes. We report case of a 25-year-old male with three episodes of seizures, precipitated while reading a book. Reported semiology was stuttering while reading with jerking of tongue as perceived by the patient followed by generalized tonic–clonic seizures (GTCS). Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of brain with 3 Tesla (3T) was normal. During videoelectroencephalogram (vEEG), reading precipitated recurrent stuttering each lasting for 1 to 2 seconds. Corresponding vEEG showed rhythmic 1/second symmetrical generalized spike and wave discharges lasting for 2 to 4 seconds during episodes of stuttering with intervening normal background activity, followed by generalized spike and wave discharges intermixed with artifacts recorded during secondary generalization. Patient was prescribed levetiracetam and responded well and is currently seizure-free for more than 6 years.
01 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Koutroumanidis M, Koepp MJ, Richardson MP. et al. The variants of reading epilepsy. A clinical and video-EEG study of 17 patients with reading-induced seizures. Brain 1998; 121 (Pt 8) 1409-1427
- 2 Radhakrishnan K, Silbert PL, Klass DW. Reading epilepsy. An appraisal of 20 patients diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, between 1949 and 1989, and delineation of the epileptic syndrome. Brain 1995; 118 (Pt 1) 75-89
- 3 Wolf. et al. Reading Epilepsy. London, United Kingdom: John Libbey; 1992
- 4 Koepp MJ, Caciagli L, Pressler RM, Lehnertz K, Beniczky S. Reflex seizures, traits, and epilepsies: from physiology to pathology. Lancet Neurol 2016; 15 (01) 92-105
- 5 Reflex seizures and reflex epilepsies. In: Panayiotopoulos CP. ed. The Epilepsies: Seizures, Syndromes and Management. Oxfordshire, United Kingdom: Bladon Medical Publishing; 2005
- 6 Seneviratne U, Cook M, D’Souza W. The electroencephalogram of idiopathic generalized epilepsy. Epilepsia 2012; 53 (02) 234-248
- 7 Okudan ZV, Özkara Ç. Reflex epilepsy: triggers and management strategies. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2018; 14: 327-337