Snippets on Disinfection of Anesthesia Equipment during COVID-19 Pandemic
In the backdrop of the ongoing COVID-19, there is an ever-increasing trend in the Western world toward the application of single-use or disposable equipment to prevent cross infection. However, for a country like ours, this may not be feasible due to economic burden on the institutions to procure a large inventory, higher costs for the patients, and the dilemma to deal with large loads of plastic waste management. Thus, there is a need to continue the use of reusable equipment by sticking to strict decontamination practices. Anesthesia machines and equipment are potential vectors for transmission of the viral pathogen; hence, it should be disinfected after each case. Comprehensive knowledge of the disinfection agents and methods is imperative for the anesthesiologist to ensure the best infection control practice is followed so that the safety of the patients and health care workers is ensured, as elaborated in [Table 1].    All equipment should be thoroughly disinfected after use in a suspected/confirmed COVID-19 patient.
07 June 2020 (online)
© 2020. Indian Society of Neuroanaesthesiology and Critical Care. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Juwarkar CS. Cleaning and sterilization of anaesthetic equipment. Indian J Anaesth 2013; 57 (05) 541-550
- 2 Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/index.html. Accessed May 26, 2020
- 3 Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for transporting a suspectirmed case of COVID-19. Available at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/StandardOperatingProcedureSOPfortransportingasuspector-confirmedcaseofCOVID19.pdf. Accessed May 26, 2020
- 4 Disinfecting Imaging Equipment During COVID19 Outbreak. Available at: https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/coronavirus/disinfecting-imaging-equipment-during-covid19-outbreak. Accessed May 26, 2020
- 5 Liang L, Hongliu C, Yu C. Handbook of COVID 19 Prevention and Treatment. Zhejiang: Zhejiang University School of Medicine 2020