Tricompartmental, Remote Intracerebral Hemorrhages Following Drainage of a Unilateral Chronic Subdural Hematoma: An Appraisal of the PathogenesisFunding None.
Intracerebral hemorrhage is a rare and unanticipated complication after burr hole drainage of a chronic subdural hematoma and usually occurs on the same side as the hematoma. In the absence of bleeding diathesis, iatrogenic injury or hypertension, it is commonly attributed to sudden expansion of the compressed brain, following rapid and uncontrolled removal of the subdural hematoma. Other factors like differential expansion of the various intracranial contents, abrupt changes in hemispheric balance, precipitous increase in focal cerebral blood flow, and unforeseen increase in cerebral venous pressure consequent to faulty positioning may also contribute to the pathogenesis of this complication.
09 September 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Ulivieri S, Oliveri G. Intracerebral haemorrhage following surgical evacuation of chronic subdural haematoma: case report. G Chir 2008; 29 (05) 233-234
- 2 Savardekar AR, Salunke P. Subependymal hemorrhage following drainage of chronic subdural hematoma: Probable causative mechanisms and prevention strategies. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2015; 6 (02) 252-254
- 3 Dinc C, Iplikcioglu AC, Bikmaz K, Navruz Y. Intracerebral haemorrhage occurring at remote site following evacuation of chronic subdural haematoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2008; 150 (05) 497-499, discussion 499
- 4 Kim JK, Kim SW, Kim SH. Intracerebral hemorrhage following evacuation of a chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2013; 53 (02) 108-111
- 5 Chang SH, Yang SH, Son BC, Lee SW. Cerebellar hemorrhage after burr hole drainage of supratentorial chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2009; 46 (06) 592-595
- 6 Cohen-Gadol AA. Remote contralateral intraparenchymal hemorrhage after overdrainage of a chronic subdural hematoma. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013; 4 (10) 834-836
- 7 Kollatos C, Konstantinou D, Raftopoulos S. et al. Cerebellar hemorrhage after supratentorial burr hole drainage of a chronic subdural hematoma. Hippokratia 2011; 15 (04) 370-372
- 8 Rojas-Medina LM, Goel A. Brainstem hemorrhage secondary to evacuation of chronic subdural hematoma. Neurol India 2014; 62 (04) 435-437
- 9 Amini A, Osborn AG, McCall TD, Couldwell WT. Remote cerebellar hemorrhage. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2006; 27 (02) 387-390