A Comparative In Vivo and In Vitro Study on the Effectiveness of Homoeopathic Medicines on Aquarium Zebrafish Infected with Vibrio parahaemolyticus
Background Human infections associated with Vibrio parahaemolyticus rank high among the pathogenic bacteria associated with fishes which causes septicaemia and gastroenteritis in humans. Humans acquire such infections by handling of infected fishes. Therefore, rather than curing the diseases in humans, it can be prevented in fishes by homoeopathic medicines.
Objectives The main objective of the study is to show the effectiveness of homoeopathic medicines in curing aquarium zebrafish infected with Vibrio parahaemolyticus.
Materials and Methods Fifteen pairs of healthy aquarium zebrafish were chosen for the study. They were inoculated with Vibrio parahaemolyticus after the acclimatisation period of 1 month. The signs were noted down in chronological order. homoeopathic medicines Sulphur 200, Arsenicum album 200 and Pyrogenium 200 was administered based on the totality obtained. An in vitro study was also done by the serial dilution of water from each tank and also by the serial dilution of the fish gut which was plated in thiosulphate-citrate-bile salts-sucrose (TCBS) agar media. A growth sensitivity study to show the growth inhibition was done on Muller Hinton agar media.
Results Although the incubation period of vibriosis was 4 days, the condition was completely cured within 10 days of administration of homoeopathic medicines. But in the case of tetracycline, the signs disappeared after 15 days. Sulphur being deep acting remedy showed cure in fishes as well as in the water. Arsenicum album showed therapeutic as well as prophylactic characters.
Conclusion From the study, it is proved that the Sulphur 200 was the most effective remedy. Homoeopathic medicines do not produce any resistant bacteria but improves the immunity of the living organism. Sulphur, the deep acting remedy ensures 100% cure, i.e., both the water and the fishes are cured of Vibrio parahaemolyticus.
KeywordsArsenicum album 200 - Danio rerio - in vitro - in vivo - Pyrogen 200 - Sulphur 200 - Vibrio parahaemolyticus
31 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
- 1 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384537/
- Reproductive response of the guppy fish Poecilia reticulate for homeopathic medicine, Natrum muriaticum. BiolifeJournal.com. Accessed March 15, 2020
- 2 Premdas K, Lekshmanaswamy M, Jesikha M. Effect of Natrum muriaticum in inducing spawning in the ornamental fish Poecilia sphenops (white molly). J Pharmaceutic Biologic Res. 139-142
- 3 Mariana MF. et al. Influence of a homoeopathic product on performance and on quality flour and cookie (Grissni) of Nile tilapia. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2015; 9 (27) 675-683
- 4 Manchanda RK. Antibiotic resistance: Homoeopathic perspective. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2015; 9: 219-222
- http://www.ijrh.org/article.asp?issn=0974-7168;year=2015;volume=9;issue=4;spage=219;epage=222;aulast=Manchanda. Accessed May 9, 2020
- 1 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17418305 . Access date: March 15,2020
- 2 Novotny L, Dvorska L, Lorencova A, Beran V, Pavlik I. Fish: a potential source of bacterial pathogens for human beings. Vet Med (Praha) 2004; 49: 343-358
- 3 Salim SS, Narayanakumar R. World Trade Agreement and Indian Fisheries Paradigms: A Policy Outlook. Manual. Kochi: Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute; 2012 www.cbsnews.com/news/in-many-studies-zebrafish-are-the-new-lab-rats/
- 4 www.cbsnews.com/news/in-many-studies-zebrafish-are-thenew-lab-rats/ . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 5 https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/news/five-reasons-why-zebrafish-make-excellent-research-models . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 6 https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/04/world/science-health-world/zebrafish-ability-regenrate-spinal-cord-offers-hope-paralysed-regenerated-spinal-cord-offers-hope-paralysed-people-study/#.WJ8B0.dJ9613 . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 7 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22818295 . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 8 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2109.1977.tb00201.x . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 9 https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-4-3/P.Muthukumar%20and%20C.Kandeepan.pdf . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 10 https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ahs/article/view/70069
- 11 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863362/ . Accessed May 9, 2020
- 12 William B. Boericke's New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory:3rd Revised and Augmented edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2000: 545-548
- 13 William B. Boericke's New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory: 3rd Revised and Augmented edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2000: 72-75
- 14 William B. Boericke's New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory: 3rd Revised and Augmented edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2000: 478-479