COVID-19 Thrombosis: An Unsolved Mystery
The COVID-19 pandemic, which has taken the world by surprise, is clearly, as evidenced last few months, procoagulation and thrombotic in etiology, as it is a collision of coagulation, inflammatory and complementary pathways. There are multiple reports and publications that this COVID-19 pandemic is associated with both arterial and venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, with marked increase in clots in extracorporeal circuits as well.
24 July 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Huang C, Wang Y, Li X. et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 497-506
- 2 Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X. et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 507-513
- 3 Darzi AJ, Karam SG, Charide R. et al. Prognostic factors for VTE and bleeding in hospitalized medical patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Blood 2020; 135 (20) 1788-1810
- 4 Spyropoulos AC, Lipardi C, Xu J. et al. Modified IMPROVE VTE risk score and elevated D-Dimer identify a high venous thromboembolism risk in acutely ill medical population for extended thromboprophylaxis. TH Open 2020; 4 (01) e59-e65
- 5 Helms J, Tacquard C, Severac F. et al. CRICS TRIGGERSEP Group (Clinical Research in Intensive Care and Sepsis Trial Group for Global Evaluation and Research in Sepsis). High risk of thrombosis in patients with severe SARS-CoV-2 infection: a multicenter prospective cohort study. Intensive Care Med 2020; 46 (06) 1089-1098
- 6 Poland G. JAMA coronavirus (COVID-19) update — vaccines and immunity. JAMA JN Learning 2020. Available at: https://edhub.ama-assn.org/jn-learning/video-player/18350099. Accessed July 6, 2020
- 7 Mehta P, McAuley DF, Brown M, Sanchez E, Tattersall RS, Manson JJ. HLH Across Speciality Collaboration, UK. COVID-19: consider cytokine storm syndromes and immunosuppression. Lancet 2020; 395 (10229) 1033-1034
- 8 Lee DW, Gardner R, Porter DL. et al. Current concepts in the diagnosis and management of cytokine release syndrome. Blood 2014; 124 (02) 188-195
- 9 Davila ML, Riviere I, Wang X. et al. Efficacy and toxicity management of 19-28z CAR T cell therapy in B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Sci Transl Med 2014; 6 (224) 224ra25
- 10 Sharma A, Sharan S, Kapoor PM, Chowdhury UK. COVID-19 ECMO myths busted. Journal of Cardiac Critical Care TSS (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1713490.
- 11 CDC. United States Center for Disease Control interim guidance for clinical management of COVID-19 patients with and without acute respiratory distress syndrome. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html. Accessed May 2, 2020
- 12 Meng L, Qiu H, Wan L. Intubation and ventilation amid the COVID-19 outbreak: Wuhan's experience. Anesthesiology 2020 (e-pub ahead of print. doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000003296/unknown