Evidence for the Efficacy of Ultra-High Diluted Homoeopathic Medicines in the Management of Influenza-Like Illness: A Narrative Review
Introduction In view of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and the rise in cases of influenza-like illness (ILI), there is urgent need of developing and scientifically establishing treatment strategies. Homoeopathy has been used effectively in various pandemics for a long-time showing potential of combating such outbreaks effectively. This study aims at evaluating the methodological quality of the clinical trials conducted with a motive of assessing the efficacy of homoeopathy in management of ILI.
Methods The randomised clinical research manuscripts from various databases were included for the narrative review. In this study, the Jadad scale was applied as an assessment tool with the criteria of randomisation, blinding and withdrawals to evaluate the methodological quality of the selected randomised controlled trials.
Results The seven randomised controlled trials fulfilling the inclusion criteria evaluated on Jadad scale lay between the ranges of 2 to 5 with a mean score of 3.71 implicating the efficacy of homoeopathy in ILI. Six studies showed significant role of homoeopathy in the faster recovery of ILI symptoms. One trial, however, reported no noticeable difference in intergroup (treatment and placebo group) improvement but distinct intragroup comparison was observed.
Conclusion It was concluded from this narrative review that homoeopathy has significant role in faster recovery of ILI symptoms in comparison to placebo group, and it can be employed as a potential treatment strategy in the recurrent pandemics of ILI and the currently prevailing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) crisis. It is suggested that more clinical trials with standard methodology should be conducted in this regard.
04 September 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
- 1 Cedraschi C, Saya L, Klein P, Bordet MF, Carrat F. Representations of influenza and influenza-like illness in the community--a qualitative study. BMC Fam Pract 2013; 14 (01) 15
- 2 Lim WS. British Infection Society, British Thoracic Society, Health Protection Agency. Pandemic flu: clinical management of patients with an influenza-like illness during an influenza pandemic. Provisional guidelines from the British Infection Society, British Thoracic Society, and Health Protection Agency in collaboration with the Department of Health. Thorax 2007; 62 (Suppl. 01) 1-46
- 3 Nichol KL, D'Heilly SJ, Greenberg ME, Ehlinger E. Burden of influenza-like illness and effectiveness of influenza vaccination among working adults aged 50-64 years. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 48 (03) 292-298
- 4 Li H, Wei Q, Tan A, Wang L. Epidemiological analysis of respiratory viral etiology for influenza-like illness during 2010 in Zhuhai, China. Virol J 2013; 10 (01) 143
- 5 Fitzner J, Qasmieh S, Mounts AW. et al. Revision of clinical case definitions: influenza-like illness and severe acute respiratory infection. Bull World Health Organ 2018; 96 (02) 122-128
- 6 WHO recommended surveillance standards. Second edition. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1999. . Retrieved on 17 June 2020. Accessed July 19, 2020 from: http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/surveillance/whocdscsrisr992.pdf
- 7 Penttinen P, Pebody R. Influenza case definitions - optimising sensitivity and specificity. Euro Surveill 2015; 20 (22) 21148
- 8 Kasper MR, Wierzba TF, Sovann L, Blair PJ, Putnam SD. Evaluation of an influenza-like illness case definition in the diagnosis of influenza among patients with acute febrile illness in Cambodia. BMC Infect Dis 2010; 10 (01) 320
- 9 Boivin G, Hardy I, Tellier G, Maziade J. Predicting influenza infections during epidemics with use of a clinical case definition. Clin Infect Dis 2000; 31 (05) 1166-1169
- 10 Spellberg B, Haddix M, Lee R. et al. Community prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 among patients with influenza-like illnesses presenting to a Los Angeles medical center in March 2020. JAMA 2020; 323 (19) 1966-1967
- 11 Boëlle PY, Souty C, Launay T. et al. Excess cases of influenza-like illnesses synchronous with coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic, France, March 2020. Euro Surveill 2020; 25 (14) 2000326
- 12 Silverman JD, Hupert N, Washburne AD. Using influenza surveillance networks to estimate state-specific prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in the United States. Sci Transl Med 2020; 12 (554): eabc1126 DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.abc1126.
- 13 Razuri H, Malecki M, Tinoco Y. et al. Human coronavirus-associated influenza-like illness in the community setting in Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2015; 93 (05) 1038-1040
- 14 Rosenberg ES, Hall EW, Rosenthal EM. et al. Monitoring COVID-19 through Trends in Influenza-like Illness and Laboratory-confirmed Influenza and COVID-19–New York State, excluding New York City, January 1–April 12, 2020. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020 May 31
- 15 Mousa HA. Prevention and treatment of influenza, influenza-like illness, and common cold by herbal, complementary, and natural therapies. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med 2017; 22 (01) 166-174
- 16 Jadad AR, Moore RA, Carroll D. et al. Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?. Control Clin Trials 1996; 17 (01) 1-12
- 17 Ferley JP, Zmirou D, D'Adhemar D, Balducci F. A controlled evaluation of a homoeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1989; 27 (03) 329-335
- 18 Porter L. A study on the curative and preventative effectiveness of homoeopathic oscillococcinum on influenza type syndromes (online Doctoral dissertation). Cited on 31 July 2020, available from: http://openscholar.dut.ac.za/handle/10321/2827
- 19 Papp R, Schuback G, Beck E. et al. OscillococcinumR in patients with influenza-like syndromes: a placebo-controlled double-blind evaluation. Br Homeopath J 1998; 87 (02) 69-76
- 20 Mistry RG. The efficacy of a homoeopathic flu complex (arsenicum iodatum, gelsemium sempervirens, eupatorium perfoliatum and ferrum phosphoricum) in the treatment of influenza type syndrome (online Doctoral dissertation). Cited on 31 July 2020, available from: http://openscholar.dut.ac.za/handle/10321/2201
- 21 Leggatt KJ. The efficacy of a homoeopathic complex remedy, (atropa belladonna 6ch, gelsemium 6 ch, phosphorus 6ch), in treating influenza (online Doctoral dissertation, University of Johannesburg). Cited on 31 July 2020, available from: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C31&q=21.%09Leggatt+KJ.+The+efficacy+of+a+homoeopathic+complex+remedy%2C%28atropa+belladonna+6+ch%2C+gelsemium+6+ch%2C+phosphorus+6ch%29%2C+in+treating+influenza+%28Doctoral+dissertation%2C+University+of+Johannesburg%29.&btnG=
- 22 Swan C. The efficacy of homoeopathic simillimum versus vitamin C (1000mg) in the treatment of influenza type syndrome (online Doctoral dissertation). Cited on 31 July 2020, available from: http://openscholar.dut.ac.za/handle/10321/2696
- 23 Chakraborty PS, Lamba CD, Nayak D. et al. Effect of individualized homoeopathic treatment in influenza like illness: a multicenter, single blind, randomized, placebo controlled study. Indian Journal of Research in Homoeopathy 2013; 7 (01) 22