Ramsay Hunt's Syndrome in Pediatric Age
The Ramsay Hunt's syndrome (RHS), caused by the reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus (VZV), is an infrequent cause of peripheral facial palsy in the pediatric patients. A 16-year-old adolescent boy presented with headache, right earache, and signs of lower motor neuron type facial palsy. He was medicated with deflazacort. Four days later, he developed blurry vision in the right eye, gait imbalance, and vesicular lesions in the right ear with decreased ipsilateral hearing acuity. A diagnosis of RHS was considered. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis showed pleocytosis, as well as VZV DNA. Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain identified abnormal uptake of gadolinium contrast in the right seventh cranial nerve, reinforcing the diagnosis. The patient was treated with acyclovir (14 days) and prednisone, with progressive clinical improvement. We emphasize the importance of recognizing this syndrome in patients with facial palsy, since the early antiviral treatment significantly improves the prognosis.
Received: 18 November 2020
Accepted: 08 December 2020
02 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Kansu L, Yilmaz I. Herpes zoster oticus (Ramsay Hunt syndrome) in children: case report and literature review. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76 (06) 772-776
- 2 Derin S, Derin H, Sahan M, Çaksen H. A pediatric case of ramsay hunt syndrome. Case Rep Otolaryngol 2014; 2014: 469565
- 3 Hato N, Kisaki H, Honda N, Gyo K, Murakami S, Yanagihara N. Ramsay Hunt syndrome in children. Ann Neurol 2000; 48 (02) 254-256
- 4 Kinishi M, Amatsu M, Mohri M, Saito M, Hasegawa T, Hasegawa S. Acyclovir improves recovery rate of facial nerve palsy in Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Auris Nasus Larynx 2001; 28 (03) 223-226
- 5 Ryu EW, Lee HY, Lee SY, Park MS, Yeo SG. Clinical manifestations and prognosis of patients with Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Am J Otolaryngol 2012; 33 (03) 313-318
- 6 Lee HY, Kim MG, Park DC, Park MS, Byun JY, Yeo SG. Zoster sine herpete causing facial palsy. Am J Otolaryngol 2012; 33 (05) 565-571
- 7 Sandoval C C, Núñez F A, Lizama C M, Margarit S C, Abarca V K, Escobar H R. [Ramsay Hunt syndrome in children: four cases and review]. Rev Chilena Infectol 2008; 25 (06) 458-464
- 8 Valerio E, Cutrone M, Gentilomo C, Baraldi E, Ravagnan E. Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Pediatr Neurol 2015; 52 (05) 554-555