Subscribe to RSS
Diagnostic Value of Clinical Prediction Scores for Acute Appendicitis in Children Younger than 4 Years
Introduction Acute appendicitis can be difficult to diagnose, especially in children < 4 years old. The aim of the present study was to assess the diagnostic value of Alvarado score (AS), appendicitis inflammatory response (AIR) score, and pediatric appendicitis score (PAS) in children younger than 4 years.
Materials and Methods All children younger than 4 years who underwent appendicectomy between 2005 and 2019 were included retrospectively. The diagnostic performance of the scores was analyzed using the area under the receiver-operating characteristic (ROC) curve and by calculating the diagnostic performances at optimal criterion value cutoff points.
Results In this study, 100 children were included (58 boys and 42 girls) with a median age of 39.5 (12–47) months. Ninety children were diagnosed with pathologically proven acute appendicitis. The area under ROC curve of AS was 0.73, AIR score was 0.79, and PAS was 0.69 (p > 0.05, respectively). In children with low risk of acute appendicitis, negative predictive values were 75.0% for AS, 50.0% for AIR score, and 66.7% for PAS (p < 0.05, respectively). The positive predictive values in children with high risk of acute appendicitis were of 92.7% for AS, 92.6% for AIR score, and 93.6% for PAS (p > 0.05, respectively). AS, AIR score, and PAS plus positive ultrasonography have 0.58, 0.49, and 0.88 area under ROC curve.
Conclusion The three scores can be of assistance in the suspicion of acute appendicitis. PAS markedly improved combined with positive ultrasonography, but none can be used in setting the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in young children.
Received: 24 October 2020
Accepted: 09 December 2020
07 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Addiss DG, Shaffer N, Fowler BS, Tauxe RV. The epidemiology of appendicitis and appendectomy in the United States. Am J Epidemiol 1990; 132 (05) 910-925
- 2 Morris-Stiff GJ, Bowrey DJ, Rees BI. Is the incidence of acute appendicitis really falling?. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1998; 80 (05) 374-375
- 3 Almaramhy HH. Acute appendicitis in young children less than 5 years: review article. Ital J Pediatr 2017; 43 (01) 15
- 4 Rassi R, Muse F, Cuestas E. Acute appendicitis in children under 4 years:a diagnostic dilemma [in Spanish]. Rev Fac Cien Med Univ Nac Cordoba 2019; 76 (03) 180-184
- 5 Marzuillo P, Germani C, Krauss BS, Barbi E. Appendicitis in children less than five years old: a challenge for the general practitioner. World J Clin Pediatr 2015; 4 (02) 19-24
- 6 Horwitz JR, Gursoy M, Jaksic T, Lally KP. Importance of diarrhea as a presenting symptom of appendicitis in very young children. Am J Surg 1997; 173 (02) 80-82
- 7 Salö M, Ohlsson B, Arnbjörnsson E, Stenström P. Appendicitis in children from a gender perspective. Pediatr Surg Int 2015; 31 (09) 845-853
- 8 Graff L, Russell J, Seashore J. et al. False-negative and false-positive errors in abdominal pain evaluation: failure to diagnose acute appendicitis and unnecessary surgery. Acad Emerg Med 2000; 7 (11) 1244-1255
- 9 Curran TJ, Muenchow SK. The treatment of complicated appendicitis in children using peritoneal drainage: results from a public hospital. J Pediatr Surg 1993; 28 (02) 204-208
- 10 Löfvenberg F, Salö M. Ultrasound for appendicitis: performance and integration with clinical parameters. BioMed Res Int 2016; 2016: 5697692
- 11 Dingemann J, Ure B. Imaging and the use of scores for the diagnosis of appendicitis in children. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2012; 22 (03) 195-200
- 12 Kulaylat AN, Moore MM, Engbrecht BW. et al. An implemented MRI program to eliminate radiation from the evaluation of pediatric appendicitis. J Pediatr Surg 2015; 50 (08) 1359-1363
- 13 Aspelund G, Fingeret A, Gross E. et al. Ultrasonography/MRI versus CT for diagnosing appendicitis. Pediatrics 2014; 133 (04) 586-593
- 14 Stiell IG, Wells GA. Methodologic standards for the development of clinical decision rules in emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med 1999; 33 (04) 437-447
- 15 Alvarado A. A practical score for the early diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Ann Emerg Med 1986; 15 (05) 557-564
- 16 Andersson M, Andersson RE. The appendicitis inflammatory response score: a tool for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis that outperforms the Alvarado score. World J Surg 2008; 32 (08) 1843-1849
- 17 Samuel M. Pediatric appendicitis score. J Pediatr Surg 2002; 37 (06) 877-881
- 18 Goldman RD, Carter S, Stephens D, Antoon R, Mounstephen W, Langer JC. Prospective validation of the pediatric appendicitis score. J Pediatr 2008; 153 (02) 278-282
- 19 Bhatt M, Joseph L, Ducharme FM, Dougherty G, McGillivray D. Prospective validation of the pediatric appendicitis score in a Canadian pediatric emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 2009; 16 (07) 591-596
- 20 Macklin CP, Radcliffe GS, Merei JM, Stringer MD. A prospective evaluation of the modified Alvarado score for acute appendicitis in children. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1997; 79 (03) 203-205
- 21 van Amstel P, Gorter RR, van der Lee JH, Cense HA, Bakx R, Heij HA. Ruling out appendicitis in children: can we use clinical prediction rules?. J Gastrointest Surg 2019; 23 (10) 2027-2048
- 22 Macco S, Vrouenraets BC, de Castro SMM. Evaluation of scoring systems in predicting acute appendicitis in children. Surgery 2016; 160 (06) 1599-1604
- 23 Gudjonsdottir J, Marklund E, Hagander L, Salö M. Clinical prediction scores for pediatric appendicitis. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2020; DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1710534.
- 24 Song CW, Kang JW, Kim JY. Different clinical features and lower scores in clinical scoring systems for appendicitis in preschool children: comparison with school age onset. Pediatr Gastroenterol Hepatol Nutr 2018; 21 (01) 51-58
- 25 Kharbanda AB, Vazquez-Benitez G, Ballard DW. et al. Development and validation of a novel pediatric appendicitis risk calculator (pARC). Pediatrics 2018; 141 (04) 141
- 26 Marudanayagam R, Williams GT, Rees BI. Review of the pathological results of 2660 appendicectomy specimens. J Gastroenterol 2006; 41 (08) 745-749
- 27 Carr NJ. The pathology of acute appendicitis. Ann Diagn Pathol 2000; 4 (01) 46-58
- 28 Emil S, Gaied F, Lo A. et al. Gangrenous appendicitis in children: a prospective evaluation of definition, bacteriology, histopathology, and outcomes. J Surg Res 2012; 177 (01) 123-126
- 29 St Peter SD, Sharp SW, Holcomb III GW, Ostlie DJ. An evidence-based definition for perforated appendicitis derived from a prospective randomized trial. J Pediatr Surg 2008; 43 (12) 2242-2245
- 30 Pieper R, Kager L, Näsman P. Clinical significance of mucosal inflammation of the vermiform appendix. Ann Surg 1983; 197 (03) 368-374
- 31 Campbell JS, Fournier P, Dasilva T. When is the appendix normal? A study of acute inflammations of the appendix apparent only upon histologic examination. Can Med Assoc J 1961; 85: 1155-1157
- 32 Hanley JA, McNeil BJ. A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases. Radiology 1983; 148 (03) 839-843
- 33 Chiang JJY, Angus MI, Nah SA. et al. Time course response of inflammatory markers in pediatric appendicitis. Pediatr Surg Int 2020; 36 (04) 493-500
- 34 Pogorelić Z, Rak S, Mrklić I, Jurić I. Prospective validation of Alvarado score and pediatric appendicitis score for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in children. Pediatr Emerg Care 2015; 31 (03) 164-168
- 35 Usher-Smith JA, Sharp SJ, Griffin SJ. The spectrum effect in tests for risk prediction, screening, and diagnosis. BMJ 2016; 353: i3139
- 36 Mathews JD, Forsythe AV, Brady Z. et al. Cancer risk in 680,000 people exposed to computed tomography scans in childhood or adolescence: data linkage study of 11 million Australians. BMJ 2013; 346: f2360
- 37 Ohana O, Soffer S, Zimlichman E, Klang E. Overuse of CT and MRI in paediatric emergency departments. Br J Radiol 2018; 91 (1085): 20170434
- 38 Ross MJ, Liu H, Netherton SJ. et al. Outcomes of children with suspected appendicitis and incompletely visualized appendix on ultrasound. Acad Emerg Med 2014; 21 (05) 538-542
- 39 Bansal S, Banever GT, Karrer FM, Partrick DA. Appendicitis in children less than 5 years old: influence of age on presentation and outcome. Am J Surg 2012; 204 (06) 1031-1035
- 40 Hansen GL, Kleif J, Jakobsen C, Paerregaard A. Changes in incidence and management of acute appendicitis in children-a population-based study in the period 2000-2015. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2020; DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1714655.
- 41 Bonadio W. Time to appendectomy and risk of complicated appendicitis and adverse outcomes in children. JAMA Pediatr 2018; 172 (01) 94-94