Subscribe to RSS
Individualised Homeopathic Medicine in the Treatment of Infertility: A Case SeriesFunding None.
Background Infertility is the inability of a person to conceive despite having carefully timed, unprotected sexual intercourse for 2 years. There are 80 to 168 million people worldwide who are suffering from infertility, resulting in feelings of failure, embarrassment or personal disappointments, which in turn lead to strained relationships with the spouse, family, and social circle. This study aimed to highlight the significance of using individualised homeopathic medicine in the treatment of infertility. In this study, seven couples suffering from infertility, who conceived after undergoing treatment at the National Homoeopathy Research Institute in Mental Health, Kottayam, were included.
Methods Significant improvement within a short period of treatment and the combined co-operative response from both partners were the key considerations for our selection of these seven cases from 12 successfully treated cases out of 20 couples in total. Detailed case studies were achieved for all seven couples. The individualised homeopathic medicines were prescribed after repertorisation based on confirmation with the authorised textbooks of Materia Medica. All couples were followed up on a monthly basis, and outcome measures of positive pregnancy (i.e., urine pregnancy test and ultrasonography of the pelvis) were evaluated.
Results All seven couples successfully conceived. Two of the couples showed a significant improvement of underlying symptoms within 2 months, whereas three responded within the third month of treatment. One of the couples conceived in the fourth month and the seventh couple took 8 months to have a successful pregnancy.
Conclusions Overall, the results of the case series indicate that individualised homeopathic medicines are useful in the management of infertility.
• Individualised homeopathic treatment, given after a detailed case study of both the partners of seven couples, resulted in early and positive results: i.e. all seven couples conceived within a short period.
• Homeopathic medicines such as Sepia, Pulsatilla, Calcarea carb, Natrum mur, Phosphorus, Lycopodium and Calc-f, in different potencies and prescribed based on the totality of symptoms, were found to be useful.
• Medorrhinum or Syphilinum was used in two cases. The medicine, prescribed based on dominant miasm, was essential to complete the successful treatment process of those cases.
All authors contributed to writing the manuscript, and each approved the final version.
Received: 07 August 2020
Accepted: 14 December 2020
02 September 2021 (online)
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Bhattacharya S, Johnson N, Tijani HA, Hart R, Pandey S, Gibreel AF. Female infertility. BMJ Clin Evid 2010;2010:0819;
- 2 Vander Borght M, Wyns C. Fertility and infertility: definition and epidemiology. Clin Biochem 2018; 62: 2-10
- 3 Deshpande PS, Gupta AS. Causes and prevalence of factors causing infertility in a public health facility. J Hum Reprod Sci 2019; 12: 287-293
- 4 Hull MGR. Infertility treatment: relative effectiveness of conventional and assisted conception methods. Hum Reprod 1992; 7: 785-796
- 5 ‘Janani’ gets national mention. The New Indian Express. 17th July 2019. Accessed October 20, 2020 at: https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/2019/jul/17/janani-gets-national-mention-2004985.html
- 6 Schroyens F. Related remedy, RadarOpus database. 2007 . Accessed July 1, 2020 at: https://www.radaropus.com/academy/all
- 7 De Berardis D, Mazza M, Marini S. et al. Psychopathology, emotional aspects and psychological counselling in infertility: a review. Clin Ter 2014; 165: 163-169
- 8 Masiello DJ, Evrony DOA, Loike JD. Homeopathic treatment of infertility: a medical and bioethical perspective. Int J Complement Alt Med 2017; 5: 00167
- 9 Pal DPP, Nath DM. Infertility cured by dynamic potencies. Int J Res Anal Rev 2019; 6: 566-570
- 10 Parveen S, Bhaumik H. Effect of individualised homeopathy in the treatment of infertility. Indian J Res Homeopath. 2018; 12: 231-239
- 11 Jafarzadeh-Kenarsari F, Ghahiri A, Habibi M, Zargham-Boroujeni A. Exploration of infertile couples' support requirements: a qualitative study. Int J Fertil Steril 2015; 9: 81-92
- 12 Vahratian A, Smith YR, Dorman M, Flynn HA. Longitudinal depressive symptoms and state anxiety among women using assisted reproductive technology. Fertil Steril 2011; 95: 1192-1194
- 13 Robaina NF, Río CJ, Rosset CM. Couple therapy in infertility. Papeles del Psicólogo 2008; 29: 205-212