Antithrombotic Therapy Recommendations in the European Society of Cardiology Guidelines: How Robust Are the Randomized Controlled Trials Underpinning Them?
Introduction Criticisms have been raised against the sole use of p-value in interpreting results from randomized controlled trials (RCTs). Additional tools have been suggested, like the fragility index (FI), a measure of a trial's robustness/fragility, and derivative measures. The FI is the minimum number of patients who would have to be converted from nonevents to events, in the group with the least events, for a result to lose statistical significance.
Objective This study aimed to evaluate RCT supporting European Society of Cardiology (ESC) guidelines regarding antithrombotics, using the FI and FI-related measures.
Methods FI, fragility quotient (FQ), and FI minus LTF lost to follow-up (FI − LTF) were calculated for the RCT underpinning recommendations regarding antithrombotic therapy from the updated ESC guidelines. LTF was compared with FI. Results were calculated for the total group of studies, as per guideline and as per recommendation type.
Results Overall, 61 studies were included. The median FI was 24.5 (interquartile range [IQR]: 9.0–60.0) and median FQ was 0.0035 (IQR: 0.0019–0.0056). Median FI − LTF was 2.0 (IQR: 0.0–38.0). Twenty (32.8%) of the studies had one primary or main safety outcome with LTF exceeding FI. Peripheral arterial disease guideline and chronic coronary syndrome guideline had the lowest (2.5; IQR: 1.8–3.3) and the highest (48.5; IQR: 23.8–73.0) FI, respectively.
Conclusion The median FI suggests robustness of clinical trials evaluating antithrombotic drugs cited in the guidelines, but about one-third of them had LTF larger than FI. This emphasizes the need for assessing trials' robustness when constructing guidelines.
Keywordsanticoagulant agents - antiplatelet agents - cardiovascular system - fibrinolytic therapy - health planning recommendations
Eingereicht: 08. Juni 2020
Angenommen: 18. Januar 2021
14. April 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Dick F, Tevaearai H. Significance and limitations of the p Value. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2015; 50 (06) 815
- 2 Wasserstein RL, Lazar NA. The ASA's statement on p-values: context, process, and purpose. Am Stat 2016; 70 (02) 129-133
- 3 Amrhein V, Greenland S, Mcshane B. Retire statistical significance. Nature 2019; 567: 7-9
- 4 Feinstein AR. The unit fragility index: an additional appraisal of “statistical significance” for a contrast of two proportions. J Clin Epidemiol 1990; 43 (02) 201-209
- 5 Walsh M, Srinathan SK, McAuley DF. et al. The statistical significance of randomized controlled trial results is frequently fragile: a case for a Fragility Index. J Clin Epidemiol 2014; 67 (06) 622-628
- 6 Tignanelli CJ, Napolitano LM. The fragility index in randomized clinical trials as a means of optimizing patient care. JAMA Surg 2019; 154 (01) 74-79
- 7 Del Paggio JC, Tannock IF. The fragility of phase 3 trials supporting FDA-approved anticancer medicines: a retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol 2019; 20 (08) 1065-1069
- 8 Mazzinari G, Ball L, Serpa Neto A. et al. The fragility of statistically significant findings in randomised controlled anaesthesiology trials: systematic review of the medical literature. Br J Anaesth 2018; 120 (05) 935-941
- 9 Caldeira D, Marques A, Almeida J. et al. Recommendations and levels of evidence in the guidelines of the European Society of Cardiology: current scenario and time trends. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother 2020; 6 (02) 122-124
- 10 Fragility Index Calculator. Accessed January 18, 2020 at: https://clincalc.com/Stats/FragilityIndex.aspx
- 11 Baumgartner H, Falk V, Bax JJ. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2739-2791
- 12 Collet JP, Thiele H, Barbato E. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2020 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent st-segment elevation. Eur Heart J 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). DOI: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa575.
- 13 Konstantinides SV, Meyer G, Becattini C. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2019 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism developed in collaboration with the European Respiratory Society (ERS). Eur Heart J 2020; 41 (04) 543-603
- 14 Ibanez B, James S, Agewall S. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation: The Task Force for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2018; 39 (02) 119-177
- 15 Aboyans V, Ricco JB, Bartelink MEL. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of peripheral arterial diseases, in collaboration with the European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS): document covering atherosclerotic disease of extracranial carotid and vertebral, mesenteric, renal, upper and lower extremity arteriesEndorsed by: the European Stroke Organization (ESO)The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Peripheral Arterial Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS). Eur Heart J 2018; 39 (09) 763-816
- 16 Piepoli MF, Hoes AW, Agewall S. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2016 European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice. Eur Heart J 2016; 37 (29) 2315-2381
- 17 Neumann FJ, Sousa-Uva M, Ahlsson A. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2018 ESC/EACTS guidelines on myocardial revascularization. Eur Heart J 2019; 40 (02) 87-165
- 18 Valgimigli M, Bueno H, Byrne RA. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2018; 53 (01) 34-78
- 19 Hindricks G, Potpara T, Dagres N. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2020 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur Heart J 2020; 00: 1-126
- 20 Knuuti J, Wijns W, Saraste A. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2019 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of chronic coronary syndromes. Eur Heart J 2020; 41 (03) 407-477
- 21 Regitz-Zagrosek V, Roos-Hesselink JW, Bauersachs J. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2018 ESC Guidelines for the management of cardiovascular diseases during pregnancy. Eur Heart J 2018; 39 (34) 3165-3241
- 22 Brugada J, Katritsis DG, Arbelo E. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2019 ESC Guidelines for the management of patients with supraventricular tachycardiaThe Task Force for the management of patients with supraventricular tachycardia of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2020; 41 (05) 655-720
- 23 Mancia G, de Backer G, Dominiczak A. et al. 2007 guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. J Hypertens 2007; 25 (06) 1105-1187
- 24 Kristensen SD, Knuuti J, Saraste A. et al; Authors/Task Force Members. 2014 ESC/ESA Guidelines on non-cardiac surgery: cardiovascular assessment and management: the Joint Task Force on non-cardiac surgery: cardiovascular assessment and management of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Society of Anaesthesiology (ESA). Eur Heart J 2014; 35 (35) 2383-2431
- 25 Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2016; 37 (27) 2129-2200
- 26 Elliott PM, Anastasakis A, Borger MA. et al; Authors/Task Force members. 2014 ESC guidelines on diagnosis and management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 2014; 35 (39) 2733-2779
- 27 Cosentino F, Grant PJ, Aboyans V. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2019 ESC Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD. Eur Heart J 2020; 41 (02) 255-323
- 28 Habib G, Lancellotti P, Antunes MJ. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: the Task Force for the Management of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM). Eur Heart J 2015; 36 (44) 3075-3128
- 29 Khan MS, Ochani RK, Shaikh A. et al. Fragility index in cardiovascular randomized controlled trials. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2019; 12 (12) e005755
- 30 Gaudino M, Hameed I, Biondi-Zoccai G. et al. Systematic evaluation of the robustness of the evidence supporting current guidelines on myocardial revascularization using the fragility index. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2019; 12 (12) e006017
- 31 Gent M, Beaumont D, Blanchard J. et al. A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). Heart 2006; 92 (01) 49-51
- 32 Donaldson DR, Salter MCP, Kester RC. et al. The influence of platelet inhibition on the patency of femoro-popliteal dacron bypass grafts. Vasc Endovascular Surg 1985; 19 (04) 224-230
- 33 Dewilde WJM, Oirbans T, Verheugt FWA. et al; WOEST study investigators. Use of clopidogrel with or without aspirin in patients taking oral anticoagulant therapy and undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: an open-label, randomised, controlled trial. Lancet 2013; 381 (9872): 1107-1115
- 34 Machado T, Duarte GS, Gonçalves N, Ferreira JJ, Costa J. A critique of the fragility index. Lancet Oncol 2019; 20 (10) e553
- 35 Carter RE, McKie PM, Storlie CB. The fragility index: A P-value in sheep's clothing?. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (05) 346-348