Interpreting Results from Epidemiologic StudiesFunding J.A.D. was supported by NIH/NIA grant K01AG054693. N.S.R. was supported by NIH/NIA grant K23AG065443.
Epidemiology is the science of public health. The focus of this discussion is to present a brief overview of how epidemiology approaches questions of disease causation, including why it sometimes gets things wrong, and so to provide a framework for how we consume and use this type of research, particularly when it comes to patient care.
15. April 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Porta M. ed. A Dictionary of Epidemiology. 6th ed.. New York: Oxford University Press; 2014
- 2 Hersh AL, Stefanick ML, Stafford RS. National use of postmenopausal hormone therapy: annual trends and response to recent evidence. JAMA 2004; 291 (01) 47-53
- 3 Chester RC, Kling JM, Manson JE. What the Women's Health Initiative has taught us about menopausal hormone therapy. Clin Cardiol 2018; 41 (02) 247-252
- 4 Graunt J, Willcox WF. Natural and Political Observations Made Upon the Bills of Mortality. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins press; 1939
- 5 Morabia A. Epidemiology's 350th Anniversary: 1662-2012. Epidemiology 2013; 24 (02) 179-183
- 6 Blehar MC, Spong C, Grady C, Goldkind SF, Sahin L, Clayton JA. Enrolling pregnant women: issues in clinical research. Womens Health Issues 2013; 23 (01) e39-e45
- 7 Bernard MA, Clayton JA, Lauer MS. Inclusion across the lifespan: NIH policy for clinical research. JAMA 2018; 320 (15) 1535-1536
- 8 Livingston G, Sommerlad A, Orgeta V. et al. Dementia prevention, intervention, and care. Lancet 2017; 390 (10113): 2673-2734
- 9 Wasserstein RL, Lazar NA. The ASA's statement on p-values: context, process, and purpose. Am Stat 2016; 70 (02) 129-133
- 10 Rothman KJ, Greenland S, Lash TL. Modern Epidemiology. 3rd ed.. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008
- 11 Greenland S, Pearl J, Robins JM. Causal diagrams for epidemiologic research. Epidemiology 1999; 10 (01) 37-48
- 12 Hacking I, Ian H. An Introduction to Probability and Inductive Logic. Cambridge University Press; 2001
- 13 Celentano DD, Mhs S, Szklo M. Gordis Epidemiology. 6th ed.. Elsevier; 2019
- 14 US Department of Health. Education and Welfare: Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General. Washington, DC: Public Health Service; 1964
- 15 Hill AB. The environment and disease: association or causation?. Proc R Soc Med 1965; 58: 295-300
- 16 Rothman KJ, Greenland S. Causation and causal inference in epidemiology. Am J Public Health 2005; 95 (Suppl. 01) S144-S150
- 17 National Research Council (US) Committee on a Framework for Developing a New Taxonomy of Disease. Toward Precision Medicine: Building a Knowledge Network for Biomedical Research and a New Taxonomy of Disease. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011