Subscribe to RSS
Evaluation of Burden and Anxiety in Caregivers of Patients with Pediatric Celiac Disease in the COVID-19 Pandemic
Background Anxiety and caregiver burden increase among caregivers for individuals with chronic disease. The purpose of this study was to compare the anxiety levels and caregiver burden among caregivers for cases with pediatric celiac disease (CD) before and during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Materials The Zarit Burden Interview (ZBI) and the Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI) were applied to 29 parents caring for pediatric CD patients in January 2020, when COVID-19 cases had not yet been seen in Turkey. The study was designed prospectively. The scales were also reapplied to the same study group online during the COVID-19 pandemic (May 2020). The results were then compared.
Results Parents caring for 29 cases of pediatric CD; 21 mothers (72.4%), six fathers (20.7%), and two aunts (6.9%) took part in the study. Mean ZBI scores before and during the COVID-19 pandemic were 27.51 ± 14.12 (8–73) and 38.68 ± 10.95 (21–57), respectively (p < 0.01). Mean BAI scores before and during the COVID-19 pandemic were 13.27 ± 7.65 (1–27) and 23.48 ± 12.40 (2–48), respectively (p < 0.01).
Conclusion Increased anxiety and caregiver burden among caregivers of pediatric CD cases during the COVID-19 pandemic were identified for the first time in the literature in this study.
06 September 2021 (online)
© 2021. Syrian American Medical Society. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Limited
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, Noida-201301, Uttar Pradesh
- 1 Troncone R, Auricchio S. Celiac disease. In: Wyllie R, Hyams JS, Kay M, editors. Pediatric Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. Philadelphia: Elsevier 2016
- 2 Caio G, Volta U, Sapone A. et al. Celiac disease: a comprehensive current review. BMC Med 2019; 17 (01) 142
- 3 Al-Bawardy B, Codipilly DC, Rubio-Tapia A, Bruining DH, Hansel SL, Murray JA. Celiac disease: a clinical review. Abdom Radiol (NY 2017; 42 (02) 351-360
- 4 Oxentenko AS, Rubio-Tapia A. Celiac disease. Mayo Clin Proc 2019; 94 (12) 2556-2571
- 5 Zylberberg HM, Lebwohl B, Green PHR. Celiac disease-musculoskeletal manifestations and mechanisms in children to adults. Curr Osteoporos Rep 2018; 16 (06) 754-762
- 6 Ludvigsson JF, Roy A, Lebwohl B, Green PHR, Emilsson L. Anxiety and depression in caregivers of individuals with celiac disease - A population-based study. Dig Liver Dis 2017; 49 (03) 273-279
- 7 Xiao H, Zhang Y, Kong D, Li S, Yang N. The effects of social support on sleep quality of medical staff treating patients with Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in January and February 2020 in China. Med Sci Monit 2020; 26: e923549
- 8 Beck AT, Epstein N, Brown G, Steer RA. An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric properties. J Consult Clin Psychol 1988; 56 (06) 893-897
- 9 Carney CE, Moss TG, Harris AL, Edinger JD, Krystal AD. Should we be anxious when assessing anxiety using the Beck Anxiety Inventory in clinical insomnia patients?. J Psychiatr Res 2011; 45 (09) 1243-1249
- 10 Ulusoy M, Sahin N, Erkmen H. Turkish version of the Beck Anxiety Inventory: Psychometric Properties. J Cogn Psychother 1998; 12: 163-172
- 11 Zarit SH, Reever KE, Bach-Peterson J. Relatives of the impaired elderly: correlates of feelings of burden. Gerontologist 1980; 20 (06) 649-655
- 12 Gonçalves-Pereira M, González-Fraile E, Santos-Zorrozúa B. et al. Assessment of the consequences of caregiving in psychosis: a psychometric comparison of the Zarit Burden Interview (ZBI) and the Involvement Evaluation Questionnaire (IEQ. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2017; 15 (01) 63
- 13 Available at: https://toad.halileksi.net/sites/default/files/pdf/bakim-verme-yuku-olcegi-toad.pdf. Accessed September 2, 2020
- 14 Sher L. COVID-19, anxiety, sleep disturbances and suicide. Sleep Med 2020; 70: 124
- 15 Danielli S, Patria R, Donnelly P, Ashrafian H, Darzi A. Economic interventions to ameliorate the impact of COVID-19 on the economy and health: an international comparison. J Public Health (Oxf 2021; 43 (01) 42-46
- 16 Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what next?. Lancet 2020; 395 (10231) 1225-1228
- 17 Stojanović B, Kočović A, Radlović N. et al. Assessment of quality of life, anxiety and depressive symptoms in Serbian children with celiac disease and their parents. Indian J Pediatr 2019; 86 (05) 427-432
- 18 Manzoni AP, Weber MB, Nagatomi AR, Pereira RL, Townsend RZ, Cestari TF. Assessing depression and anxiety in the caregivers of pediatric patients with chronic skin disorders. An Bras Dermatol 2013; 88 (06) 894-899
- 19 Szabó A, Mezei G, Kovári E, Cserháti E. Depressive symptoms amongst asthmatic children’s caregivers. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2010; 21 (4 Pt 2) e667-e673
- 20 Lima AGT, Sales CC, Serafim WFL. Burden, depression and anxiety in primary caregivers of children and adolescents in renal replacement therapy. J Bras Nefrol 2019; 41 (03) 356-363
- 21 Quittner AL, Goldbeck L, Abbott J. et al. Prevalence of depression and anxiety in patients with cystic fibrosis and parent caregivers: results of The International Depression Epidemiological Study across nine countries. Thorax 2014; 69 (12) 1090-1097
- 22 Cunningham NR, Cohen MB, Farrell MK, Mezoff AG, Lynch-Jordan A, Kashikar-Zuck S. Concordant parent-child reports of anxiety predict impairment in youth with functional abdominal pain. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2015; 60 (03) 312-317
- 23 Adelman RD, Tmanova LL, Delgado D, Dion S, Lachs MS. Caregiver burden: a clinical review. JAMA 2014; 311 (10) 1052-1060
- 24 Statham C, Davis C. Psychological burden of haematological cancer on patient and family: is it time for a multisystem approach. ? Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 2018; 12 (04) 518-521
- 25 Olagunju AT, Sarimiye FO, Olagunju TO, Habeebu MY, Aina OF. Child’s symptom burden and depressive symptoms among caregivers of children with cancers: an argument for early integration of pediatric palliative care. Ann Palliat Med 2016; 5 (03) 157-165
- 26 Lue YJ, Chen SS, Lu YM. Factors affecting the health-related quality of life of caregivers of patients with muscular dystrophy. J Neurol 2018; 265 (07) 1548-1556
- 27 Picardi A, Gigantesco A, Tarolla E. et al. Parental burden and its correlates in families of children with autism spectrum disorder: a multicentre study with two comparison groups. Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health 2018; 14: 143-176
- 28 Toledano-Toledano F, Domínguez-Guedea MT. Psychosocial factors related with caregiver burden among families of children with chronic conditions. Biopsychosoc Med 2019; 13: 6
- 29 Ferretti F, Branchi F, Dell’Osso B, Conte D, Elli L. Coping with celiac disease: how heavy is the burden for caregivers?. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2017; 109 (04) 250-255
- 30 Nachman F, Mauriño E, Vázquez H. et al. Quality of life in celiac disease patients: prospective analysis on the importance of clinical severity at diagnosis and the impact of treatment. Dig Liver Dis 2009; 41 (01) 15-25
- 31 Available at: https://www.tcmb.gov.tr/kurlar/kurlar_tr.html. Accessed June 1, 2020