Subscribe to RSS
A Rare Case of Isolated Agenesis of the Thyroid Isthmus: Surgical ImplicationsFunding None.
The thyroid gland is the largest endocrine gland in the body and pathologies related to this gland are a fairly common occurrence in clinical practice. Various developmental abnormalities can distort the morphology of the thyroid gland. Variations in anatomy may have critical clinical implications, both in terms of manifestations and surgical complications. In this report, we discuss a rare case of isolated agenesis of the thyroid isthmus that was discovered incidentally during the right thyroid lobectomy of a female patient who was diagnosed as the case of colloid goiter.
Article published online:
07 February 2022
© 2022. Medical and Surgical Update Society. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Jain A, Pathak S. Rare developmental abnormalities of thyroid gland, especially multiple ectopia: a review and our experience. Indian J Nucl Med 2010; 25 (04) 143-146
- 2 Sankar KD, Bhanu PS, Susan PJ, Gajendra K. Agenesis of isthmus of thyroid gland with levator glandulae thyoidea. Int J Anat Var 2009; 2: 29-30
- 3 Pastor VJ, Gil VJ, De Paz Fernandez FJ, Cachorro MB. Agenesis of the thyroid isthmus. Eur J Anat 2006; 10: 83-84
- 4 Melnick JC, Stemkowski PE. Thyroid hemiagenesis (hockey stick sign): a review of the world literature and a report of four cases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1981; 52 (02) 247-251
- 5 Kumar A, Banarjee A, Harikrishan V. Case report: a congenital anomaly of thyroid gland with agenesis of isthmus and presence of pyramidal lobe. J Evol Med Dent Sci 2013; 2: 7899-7903
- 6 Marshall CF. Variations in the form of the thyroid gland in man. J Anat Physiol 1895; 29 (Pt 2): 234-239
- 7 De Felice M, Di Lauro R. Thyroid development and its disorders: genetics and molecular mechanisms. Endocr Rev 2004; 25 (05) 722-746
- 8 Vassart G, Dumont JE. Thyroid dysgenesis: multigenic or epigenetic ... or both?. Endocrinology 2005; 146 (12) 5035-5037
- 9 Gangbo E, Lacombe D, Alberti EM, Taine L, Saura R, Carles D. Trisomy 22 with thyroid isthmus agenesis and absent gall bladder. Genet Couns 2004; 15 (03) 311-315
- 10 Ozkan OF, Asık M, Toman H, Ozkul F, Cıkman O, Karaayvaz M. Agenesis of isthmus of the thyroid gland in a patient with graves-basedow disease and a solitary nodule. Case Rep Surg 2013; 2013: 608481 DOI: 10.1155/2013/608481.