Rhinitis in Elite and Non-Elite Field Hockey Players
accepted after revision 29 April 2016
28 October 2016 (eFirst)
Rhinitis has been demonstrated to impose a significant disease burden upon the general population. We sought to determine the prevalence of rhinitis in athletes; to investigate its relationship with co-existing allergic symptoms; and to quantify the impact of rhinitis on quality of life in the athlete.
3 subgroups were studied: elite field hockey players (FHP); non-elite FHP; and a sedentary control group.
Participants were asked to complete a rhinitis self-report questionnaire; the “Allergic Questionnaire for Athletes” (AQUA), and quality of life Sinonasal Outcome Test – 22 (SNOT-22).
142 participants completed the study (52 elite FHP; 40 non-elite FHP; 50 controls). There was a significantly higher prevalence of rhinitis in the elite and non-elite FHP groups than the sedentary control group (52% and 43% vs. 22%, p<0.05). Mean AQUA score was significantly higher in athletes with rhinitis. Quality of life scores were significantly worse in athletes with rhinitis than those without rhinitis (p<0.05).
This study suggests regular exercise is associated with a significant increase in the prevalence of rhinitis. Elite FHP were most likely to report rhinitis, but the least likely to be using regular treatment. Quality of life was negatively affected, confirming the importance of nasal health to athlete welfare.
- 1 Alaranta A, Alaranta H, Heliövaara M, Alha P, Palmu P, Helenius I. Allergic rhinitis and pharmacological management in elite athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2005; 37: 707-711
- 2 Alves A, Martins C, Delgado L, Fonseca J, Moreira A. Exercise-induced rhinitis in competitive swimmers. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2010; 24: e114-e117
- 3 Blaiss MS. Cognitive, social, and economic costs of allergic rhinitis. Allergy Asthma Proc 2000; 21: 7-13
- 4 Blaiss MS. Allergic rhinitis and impairment issues in schoolchildren: a consensus report. Curr Med Res Opin 2004; 20: 1937-1952
- 5 Bonini S, Bonini M, Bousquet J, Brusasco V, Canonica GW, Carlsen KH, Vignola AM. Rhinitis and asthma in athletes: an ARIA document in collaboration with GA2LEN. Allergy 2006; 61: 681-692
- 6 Bonini M, Braido F, Baiardini I, Del Giacco S, Gramiccioni C, Manara M, Bonini S. AQUA: allergy questionnaire for athletes. Development and validation. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009; 41: 1034-1041
- 7 Bonini M, Gramiccioni C, Fioretti D, Ruckert B, Rinaldi M, Akdis C, Bonini S. Asthma, allergy and the Olympics: a 12-year survey in elite athletes. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2015; 15: 184-192
- 8 Bonadonna P, Senna G, Zanon P, Cocco G, Dorizzi R, Gani F, Passalacqua G. Cold-induced rhinitis in skiers – clinical aspects and treatment with ipratropium bromide nasal spray: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Rhinol 2001; 15: 297-301
- 9 Cockburn IM, Bailit HL, Berndt ER, Finkelstein SN. Loss of work productivity due to illness and medical treatment. J Occup Environ Med 1999; 41: 948-953
- 10 Harriss DJ, Atkinson G. Ethical standards in sport and exercise science research: 2016 Update. Int J Sports Med 2015; 36: 1121-1124
- 11 Helenius IJ, Tikkanen HO, Sarna S, Haahtela T. Asthma and increased bronchial responsiveness in elite athletes: atopy and sport event as risk factors. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1998; 101: 646-652
- 12 Hopkins C, Gillett S, Slack R, Lund VJ, Browne JP. Psychometric validity of the 22-item Sinonasal Outcome Test. Clin Otolaryngol 2009; 34: 447-454
- 13 International rhinitis working group. International Consensus Report on Diagnosis and Management of Rhinitis. Allergy 1994; 49: 1-34
- 14 Jones NS, Smith PA, Carney AS, Davis A. The prevalence of allergic rhinitis and nasal symptoms in Nottingham. Clin Otolaryngol 1998; 23: 547-554
- 15 Katelaris CH, Carrozzi FM, Burke TV, Byth K. A springtime Olympics demands special consideration for allergic athletes. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000; 106: 260-266
- 16 Katelaris CH, Carrozzi FM, Burke TV, Byth K. Effects of intranasal budesonide on symptoms, quality of life, and performance in elite athletes with allergic rhinoconjunctivitis. Clin J Sport Med 2002; 12: 296-300
- 17 Kurowski M, Jurczyk J, Krysztofiak H, Kowalski ML. Exercise-induced respiratory symptoms and allergy in elite athletes: Allergy and Asthma in Polish Olympic Athletes (A2POLO) project within GA2LEN initiative. Clin Respir J 2014; 10: 231-238
- 18 Laforest L, Bousquet J, Pietri G et al. Quality of life during pollen season in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis with or without asthma. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2005; 136: 281-286
- 19 Macucci F, Guerrini L, Strambi M. Asthma and allergy in young athletes in Siena Province: Preliminary results. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2007; 47: 351
- 20 Meltzer EO. Quality of life in adults and children with allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001; 108: S45-S53
- 21 Moreira A, Kekkonen R, Korpela R, Delgado L, Haahtela T. Allergy in marathon runners and effect of Lactobacillus GG supplementation on allergic inflammatory markers. Respir Med 2007; 10: 1123-1131
- 22 Olsson P, Berglind N, Bellander T, Stjärne P. Prevalence of self-reported allergic and non-allergic rhinitis symptoms in Stockholm: relation to age, gender, olfactory sense and smoking. Acta oto-laryngol 2003; 123: 75-80
- 23 Schwartz LB, Delgado L, Craig T, Bonini S, Carlsen KH, Casale TB, Del Giacco S, Drobnic F, van Wijk RG, Ferrer M, Haahtela T, Henderson WR, Israel E, Lötvall J, Moreira A, Papadopoulos NG, Randolph CC, Romano A, Weiler JM. Exercise-induced hypersensitivity syndromes in recreational and competitive athletes: a PRACTALL consensus report (what the general practitioner should know about sports and allergy). Allergy 2008; 63: 953-961
- 24 Silvers WS, Poole JA. Exercise-induced rhinitis: a common disorder that adversely affects allergic and nonallergic athletes. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 96: 334-340
- 25 Thomas S, Wolfarth B, Wittmer C, Nowak D, Radon K. Self-reported asthma and allergies in top athletes compared to the general population-results of the German part of the GA2LEN-Olympic study 2008. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2010; 6: 31
- 26 Weiler JM, Layton T, Hunt M. Asthma in United States Olympic athletes who participated in the 1996 Summer Games. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998 102. 722-726