Subscribe to RSS
Clinical Features, Treatment, and Outcomes of Retinoblastoma in China
Background This review determined clinical features and treatment outcomes of retinoblastoma patients in China, which ranks second in incidence globally and is among the countries listed to produce 4,000 new cases of the estimated world's retinoblastoma cases in 2023.
Methods A search was done using different databases for literatures on retinoblastoma in China published from 2010 to 2020. The articles were then reviewed for clinical features, treatment, and outcomes.
Results Ten articles that included 3,702 patients involving ∼4,412 eyes seen in China from 1957 to 2019 were analyzed. Median age at consult ranged from 18 to 30 months and mean lag of consultation was 4 to 6 months. More males were affected (58%). Seventy-nine percent had unilateral disease. Retinoblastoma was assumed intraocular in 4,123(89%) eyes with ≥996(22%) belonging to group E of International Intraocular Retinoblastoma Classification/International Classification of Retinoblastoma. Extraocular extension was present in 415 (9%) eyes with 845 patients having direct extraocular extension, while 54 had distant metastasis. Enucleation was the most used treatment procedure specially in unilateral disease done in at least 2,781 (74%) eyes. Median follow-up period ranged from 14 to 47 months. Functional vision was retained in 48 (2%) eyes. Globe salvage rate for group A to D eyes ranged from 56 to 100%. Highest globe salvage rate for group D was 87% and 70% for group E. Overall survival rate was 1,655/1898 (87%), ranging from 81 to 100%. Overall mortality was 4%.
Discussion Clinical profile and management options for retinoblastoma in China changed overtime improving outcomes. Globe salvage and survival rate were high for those with intraocular disease.
Article published online:
19 April 2022
© 2022. Spring Hope Cancer Foundation & Young Oncologist Group of Asia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Usmanov RH, Kivelä T. Predicted trends in the incidence of retinoblastoma in the Asia-Pacific region. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila) 2014; 3 (03) 151-157 DOI: 10.1097/APO.0000000000000060. [published correction appears in Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2014 Nov-Dec;3(6):397]
- 2 Gao J, Zeng J, Guo B. et al. Clinical presentation and treatment outcome of retinoblastoma in children of South Western China. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016; 95 (42) e5204 DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000005204.
- 3 Bai S, Ren R, Li B. et al. Delay in the diagnosis of retinoblastoma in China. Acta Ophthalmol 2011; 89 (01) e72-e74
- 4 Luo X, Ye H, Ding YG, Du Y, Yang H. Clinical characteristics and prognosis of patients with retinoblastoma: 8-year follow-up. Turk J Med Sci 2015; 45 (06) 1256-1262
- 5 Jin L, Zhang W, Pan H. et al. Retrospective investigation of retinoblastoma in Chinese patients. Oncotarget 2017; 8 (65) 108492-108497
- 6 Huang D, Zhang Y, Zhang W. et al. Study on clinical therapeutic effect including symptoms, eye preservation rate, and follow-up of 684 children with retinoblastoma. Eur J Ophthalmol 2013; 23 (04) 532-538
- 7 Gao YJ, Qian J, Yue H, Yuan YF, Xue K, Yao YQ. Clinical characteristics and treatment outcome of children with intraocular retinoblastoma: a report from a Chinese cooperative group. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2011; 57 (07) 1113-1116
- 8 Jin M, Zhao J, Zhang D. et al. Analysis of the short-term curative effect of 356 cases of intraocular retinoblastoma in children. Pediatr Investig 2019; 2 (04) 236-241
- 9 Xiao W, Ye H, Zeng H. et al. Associations among socioeconomic factors, lag time, and high-risk histopathologic features in eyes primarily enucleated for retinoblastoma. Curr Eye Res 2019; 44 (10) 1144-1149
- 10 Xu K, Liu J, Zhang C. Intra-arterial chemotherapy combined with VEC intravenous chemotherapy in the treatment of advanced retinoblastoma. J BUON 2020; 25 (02) 1199-1205
- 11 Chen Q, Zhang B, Dong Y. et al. Evaluating primary intra-arterial chemotherapy versus intravenous plus intra-arterial chemotherapy for advanced intraocular retinoblastoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2020; 85 (04) 723-730
- 12 Seregard S, Lundell G, Svedberg H, Kivelä T. Incidence of retinoblastoma from 1958 to 1998 in Northern Europe: advantages of birth cohort analysis. Ophthalmology 2004; 111 (06) 1228-1232
- 13 Kaliki S, Patel A, Iram S, Ramappa G, Mohamed A, Palkonda VAR. Retinoblastoma in India: clinical presentation and outcome in 1,457 patients (2,074 eyes). Retina 2019; 39 (02) 379-391
- 14 Naseripour M, Nazari H, Bakhtiari P, Modarres-zadeh M, Vosough P, Ausari M. Retinoblastoma in Iran: outcomes in terms of patients' survival and globe survival. Br J Ophthalmol 2009; 93 (01) 28-32
- 15 Lim FP, Soh SY, Iyer JV, Tan AM, Swati H, Quah BL. Clinical profile, management, and outcome of retinoblastoma in Singapore. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 2013; 50 (02) 106-112
- 16 Linn Murphree A. Intraocular retinoblastoma: the case for a new group classification. Ophthalmol Clin North Am 2005; 18 (01) 41-53 , viii
- 17 Shields CL, Mashayekhi A, Demirci H, Meadows AT, Shields JA. Practical approach to management of retinoblastoma. Arch Ophthalmol 2004; 122 (05) 729-735
- 18 Tan RJ. Clinical Presentation, Treatment and Outcomes of Retinoblastoma: A Scoping Review for India. Under review
- 19 Jubran RF, Erdreich-Epstein A, Butturini A, Murphree AL, Villablanca JG. Approaches to treatment for extraocular retinoblastoma: Children's Hospital Los Angeles experience. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2004; 26 (01) 31-34
- 20 Leal-Leal C, Flores-Rojo M, Medina-Sansón A. et al. A multicentre report from the Mexican retinoblastoma group. Br J Ophthalmol 2004; 88 (08) 1074-1077
- 21 Menon BS, Alagaratnam J, Juraida E, Mohamed M, Ibrahim H, Naing NN. Late presentation of retinoblastoma in Malaysia. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2009; 52 (02) 215-217
- 22 Padma M, Kumar N, Nesargi PS, Aruna Kumari BS, Appaji L, Viswanathan A. Epidemiology and clinical features of retinoblastoma: a tertiary care center's experience in India. South Asian J Cancer 2020; 9 (01) 56-58
- 23 Tan RJ, Umerez DC, Alindayu JI, Conjares JMR, Go DA, Paulino RG. Retinoblastoma in South Asia: A scoping review. Asian J Cancer Care 2021; 6(4)