Accuracy of diagnosing invasive colorectal cancer using computer-aided endocytoscopy
submitted 01 November 2016
accepted after revision 15 February 2017
04 May 2017 (eFirst)
Background and study aims Invasive cancer carries the risk of metastasis, and therefore, the ability to distinguish between invasive cancerous lesions and less-aggressive lesions is important. We evaluated a computer-aided diagnosis system that uses ultra-high (approximately × 400) magnification endocytoscopy (EC-CAD).
Patients and methods We generated an image database from a consecutive series of 5843 endocytoscopy images of 375 lesions. For construction of a diagnostic algorithm, 5543 endocytoscopy images from 238 lesions were randomly extracted from the database for machine learning. We applied the obtained algorithm to 200 endocytoscopy images and calculated test characteristics for the diagnosis of invasive cancer. We defined a high-confidence diagnosis as having a ≥ 90 % probability of being correct.
Results Of the 200 test images, 188 (94.0 %) were assessable with the EC-CAD system. Sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, positive predictive value (PPV), and negative predictive value (NPV) were 89.4 %, 98.9 %, 94.1 %, 98.8 %, and 90.1 %, respectively. High-confidence diagnosis had a sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, PPV, and NPV of 98.1 %, 100 %, 99.3 %, 100 %, and 98.8 %, respectively.
Conclusion: EC-CAD may be a useful tool in diagnosing invasive colorectal cancer.
- 1 Zauber AG, Winawer SJ, O’Brien MJ. et al. Colonoscopic polypectomy and long-term prevention of colorectal-cancer deaths. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 687-696
- 2 Watanabe T, Itabashi M, Shimada Y. et al. Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (JSCCR) Guidelines 2014 for treatment of colorectal cancer. Int J Clin Oncol 2015; 20: 207-239
- 3 Kudo S, Rubio CA, Teixeira CR. et al. Pit pattern in colorectal neoplasia: endoscopic magnifying view. Endoscopy 2001; 33: 367-373
- 4 Wanders LK, East JE, Uitentuls SE. et al. Diagnostic performance of narrowed spectrum endoscopy, autofluorescenece imaging, and confocal laser endomicroscopy for optical diagnosis of colonic polyps: a meta-analysis. Lancet Oncology 2013; 14: 1337-1347
- 5 Kiesslich R, Burg J, Vieth M. et al. Confocal laser endoscopy for diagnosing intraepithelial neoplasias and colorectal cancer in vivo. Gastroenterology 2004; 127: 706-713
- 6 Kudo SE, Wakamura K, Ikehara N. et al. Diagnosis of colorectal lesions with a novel endocytoscopic classification – pilot study. Endoscopy 2011; 43: 869-875
- 7 Patel SG, Schoenfeld P, Kim H. et al. Real-time characterization of diminutive colorectal polyp histology using narrow-band imaging: implications for the resect and discard strategy. Gastroenterology 2016; 150: 406-418
- 8 Mori Y, Kudo S, Chiu PW. et al. Impact of an automated system for endocytoscopic diagnosis of small colorectal lesions: an international web-based study. Endoscopy 2016; 48: 1110-1118
- 9 Misawa M, Kudo S, Mori Y. et al. Characterization of colorectal lesions using a computer-aided diagnostic system for narrow-band imaging. Gastroenterology 2016; 150: 1531-1532 .e3
- 10 Kudo SE, Misawa M, Wada Y. et al. Endocytoscopic microvasculature evaluation is a reliable new diagnostic method for colorectal lesions (with video). Gastointest Endosc 2015; 82: 912-923
- 11 Takeda K, Kudo S, Misawa M. et al. Comparison of the endocytoscopic and clinicopathologic features of colorectal neoplasms. Endosc Int Open 2016; 4: E397-E402
- 12 Ting-Fan Wu, Chih-Jen Lin. Probability estimates for multi-class classification by pairwise coupling. Journal of Machine Learning Research 2004; 5: 975-1005
- 13 Rex DK, Kahi C, O’Brien M. et al. The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy PIVI (Preservation and Incorporation of Valuable Endoscopic Innovations) on real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73: 419-422
- 14 Gross S, Trautwein C, Behrens A. et al. Computer-based classification of small colorectal polyps by using narrow-band imaging with optical magnification. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 74: 1354-1359
- 15 Kominami Y, Yoshida S, Tanaka S. et al. Computer-aided diagnosis of colorectal polyp histology by using a real-time image recognition system and narrow-band imaging magnifying colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 643-649