Infiltrating Mammary Duct Adenocarcinoma in the Right Labia Majora Along the Milk-Line
received 21 March 2017
accepted 03 August 2017
15 September 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Breast tissue rarely arises from the vulva and malignancy might develop in it.
Case Thirty-eight-year-old woman presented with a suspicious ulcer in the right labia majora discovered accidently and removed by wide local excision. Histopathology revealed infiltrating mammary duct adenocarcinoma along the milk line. Immunohistochemistry was positive for estrogen and progesterone receptors and equivocal overexpression for HER2 protein with a score of 2+. Metastatic work-up was clear. Inguinal lymph nodes were enlarged and lymphadenectomy done which showed positive lymph nodes on the right side and none on the left. She is receiving adjuvant therapy.
Conclusion Mammary duct carcinoma along the nipple line is rare but should be considered when dealing with suspicious vulvar lesions.
- 1 Van der Putte SC. Mammary-like glands of the vulva and their disorders. Int J Gynecol Pathol 1994; 13: 150-160
- 2 Kazakov DV, Spagnolo DV, Kacerovska D. et al. Lesions of anogenital mammary-like glands: an update. Adv Anat Pathol 2011; 18: 1-28
- 3 Castro CY, Deavers M. Ductal carcinoma in-situ arising in mammary-like glands of the vulva. Int J Gynecol Pathol 2001; 20: 277-283
- 4 Benito V, Arribas S, Martinez D. et al. Metastatic adenocarcinoma of mammary-like glands of the vulva successfully treated with surgery and hormonal therapy. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2013; 39: 450-454
- 5 Fracchioli S, Puopolo M, De La Longrais IA. et al Primary ‘breast-like’ cancer of the vulva: a case report and critical review of the literature. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006; 16 (Suppl. 01) 423-428
- 6 Diniz da Costa AT, Coelho AM, Lourenço AV. et al. Primary breast cancer of the vulva: A case report. J Low Genit Tract Dis 2012; 16: 155-157
- 7 Irvin WP, Cathro HP, Grosh WW. et al. Primary breast carcinoma of the vulva: a case report and literature review. Gynecol Oncol 1999; 73: 155-159
- 8 Van der Zee AG, Oonk MH, De Hullu JA. et al. Sentinel node dissection is safe in the treatment of early-stage vulvar cancer. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 884-889
- 9 Levenback C, Coleman RL, Burke TW. et al. Intraoperative lymphatic mapping and sentinel node identification with blue dye in patients with vulvar cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2001; 83: 276-281
- 10 Lopes G. DeCesareT Ghurani G. et al. Primary ectopic breast cancer presenting as a vulvar mass. Clin Breast Cancer 2006; 7: 278-279