Magnified endoscopic observation of small depressed gastric lesions using linked color imaging with indigo carmine dye
submitted 16 February 2017
accepted after revision 04 August 2017
27 September 2017 (eFirst)
Background and study aims Magnifying linked color imaging with indigo carmine dye (M-Chromo-LCI) enables sterically enhanced and color image-magnified observation of the superficial gastric mucosa. This study investigated the usefulness of M-Chromo-LCI for the differential diagnosis of gastric lesions.
Patients and methods 100 consecutive small depressed lesions were examined with conventional white-light imaging (C-WLI), magnifying blue-laser imaging (M-BLI), and M-Chromo-LCI. Endoscopic images were reviewed by three experts and three non-experts. Diagnostic accuracy and interobserver agreement were compared among the modalities.
Results For experts, M-BLI showed a significantly higher diagnostic accuracy than C-WLI (82.7 % vs. 67.0 %; P < 0.001). The diagnostic accuracy of M-Chromo-LCI was not different from M-BLI (87.7 % vs. 82.7 %; P = 0.31). For non-experts, M-BLI showed a significantly higher diagnostic accuracy than C-WLI (69.3 % vs. 52.3 %; P < 0.001). M-Chromo-LCI additionally showed a significantly higher diagnostic accuracy than M-BLI (79.7 % vs. 69.3 %; P = 0.005). M-Chromo-LCI had the highest interobserver agreement for each group.
Conclusions: M-Chromo-LCI is expected to become a useful modality for the accurate diagnosis of gastric lesions.
- 1 Yoshida T, Inoue H, Usui S. et al. Narrow-band imaging system with magnifying endoscopy for superficial esophageal lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2004; 59: 288-295
- 2 Kaise M, Kato M, Urashima M. et al. Magnifying endoscopy combined with narrow-band imaging for differential diagnosis of superficial depressed gastric lesions. Endoscopy 2009; 41: 310-315
- 3 Yoshida N, Hisabe T, Inada Y. et al. The ability of a novel blue laser imaging system for the diagnosis of invasion depth of colorectal neoplasms. J Gastroenterol 2014; 49: 73-80
- 4 Dohi O, Yagi N, Majima A. et al. Diagnostic ability of magnifying endoscopy with blue laser imaging for early gastric cancer: a prospective study. Gastric Cancer 2017; 20: 297-303
- 5 Ezoe Y, Muto M, Horimatsu T. et al. Magnifying narrow-band imaging versus magnifying white-light imaging for the differential diagnosis of gastric small depressive lesions: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 477-484
- 6 Ezoe Y, Muto M, Uedo N. et al. Magnifying narrowband imaging is more accurate than conventional white-light imaging in diagnosis of gastric mucosal cancer. Gastroenterology 2011; 141: 2017-2025
- 7 Shibagaki K, Amano Y, Ishimura N. et al. Diagnostic accuracy of magnification endoscopy with acetic acid enhancement and narrow-band imaging in gastric mucosal neoplasms. Endoscopy 2016; 48: 16-25
- 8 Suzuki T, Hara T, Kitagawa Y. et al. Magnification endoscopic observation of early colorectal cancer by linked color imaging with crystal violet staining (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 84: 726-729
- 9 Yao K, Anagnostopoulos GK, Ragunath K. Magnifying endoscopy for diagnosing and delineating early gastric cancer. Endoscopy 2009; 41: 462-467
- 10 Landis JR, Koch GG. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 1977; 33: 159-174