Multiband mucosectomy for the treatment of challenging non-pedunculated colorectal polyps
submitted 23 June 2017
accepted after revision 26 September 2017
14 December 2017 (eFirst)
Background and study aims Endoscopic mucosal resection is the gold standard treatment for non-pedunculated colorectal polyps; however, some specific situations (location behind folds, scarred or flat morphology) can make this technique challenging. We aimed to assess the efficacy and safety of multiband mucosectomy (MBM) for resection of non-pedunculated colorectal polyps.
Patients and methods This was a retrospective study of patients in whom MBM was performed to resect large non-pedunculated colorectal polyps. All procedures were carried out using the Shooter multiband ligator kit (Cook Medical, Limerick, Ireland). A 3-month follow-up colonoscopy was performed in all patients.
Results 10 patients underwent MBM for resection of 10 large (median 33.5 mm) non-pedunculated polyps. A total of 45 MBM sessions were carried out to resect all of the lesions using on average one rubber band per 1.5 cm2 of resected tissue. Complete resection was possible in 9 out of 10 lesions, although en bloc resection was only feasible in one lesion. Follow-up colonoscopy revealed residual adenoma in just one patient. No major complications were registered.
Conclusions In this small series of patients, MBM proved to be a safe and effective endoscopic resection technique for challenging non-pedunculated colorectal polyps.
- 1 Ferlitsch M, Moss A, Hassan C. et al. Colorectal polypectomy and endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR): European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Clinical Guideline. Endoscopy 2017; 49: 270-297
- 2 Moss A, Williams SJ, Hourigan LF. et al. Long-term adenoma recurrence following wide-field endoscopic mucosal resection (WF-EMR) for advanced colonic mucosal neoplasia is infrequent: results and risk factors in 1000 cases from the Australian Colonic EMR (ACE) study. Gut 2015; 64: 57-65
- 3 Swan MP, Bourke MJ, Alexander S. et al. Large refractory colonic polyps: is it time to change our practice? A prospective study of the clinical and economic impact of a tertiary referral colonic mucosal resection and polypectomy service (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70: 1128-1136
- 4 Pimentel-Nunes P, Dinis-Ribeiro M, Ponchon T. et al. Endoscopic submucosal dissection: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy 2015; 47: 829-854
- 5 Hayashi N, Tanaka S, Nishiyama S. et al. Predictors of incomplete resection and perforation associated with endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79: 427-435
- 6 Bae JH, Yang DH, Lee S. et al. Optimized hybrid endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors: a randomized controlled trial. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 584-592
- 7 Schmidt A, Beyna T, Schumacher B. et al. Colonoscopic full-thickness resection using an over-the-scope device: a prospective multicentre study in various indications. Gut DOI: 10.1136/gutjnl-2016-313677.
- 8 Espinel J, Pinedo E, Ojeda V. et al. Multiband mucosectomy for advanced dysplastic lesions in the upper digestive tract. World J Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 7: 370-380
- 9 Chen ZY, Yang YC, Liu LM. et al. Comparison of the clinical value of multi-band mucosectomy versus endoscopic mucosal resection for the treatment of patients with early-stage esophageal cancer. Oncol Lett 2015; 9: 2716-2720
- 10 He L, Deng T, Luo H. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic resection therapies for rectal carcinoid tumors: a meta-analysis. Yonsei Med J 2015; 56: 72-81
- 11 Kashani A, Lo SK, Jamil LH. Cap-assisted endoscopic mucosal resection is highly effective for nonpedunculated colorectal lesions. J Clin Gastroenterol 2016; 50: 163-168
- 12 Sakamoto T, Abe S, Nakajima T. et al. Complete removal of a colonic neoplasm extending into a diverticulum with hybrid endoscopic submucosal dissection-mucosal resection and endoscopic band ligation. Endoscopy 2015; 47 (Suppl. 01) E295-E296
- 13 Alvarez HerreroL, Pouw RE, van Vilsteren FG. et al. Safety and efficacy of multiband mucosectomy in 1060 resections in Barrett's esophagus. Endoscopy 2011; 43: 177-183
- 14 Neumann H, Ramesh J, Wilcox CM. et al. Resection of carcinoids in the duodenal bulb using the band ligation technique with the Duette mucosectomy device. Endoscopy 2013; 45 (Suppl. 02) E365-E366
- 15 Kim EK, Han DS, Ro Y. et al. The submucosal fibrosis: what does it mean for colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection?. Intest Res 2016; 14: 358-364