Subscribe to RSS
Potential Combination of Acemannan Sponge and Calcium Phosphate Cement-Calcium Sulfate Hemihydrate (CPC-CSH) as Direct Pulp Capping Alternative Materials for Reparative Dentin FormationFunding This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Background Health problem that affects hard tissues of the teeth is dental caries, which is experienced by around 2.3 billion people in the world, with prevalence in Indonesia reaching 88.8. Direct pulp capping (DPC) is a vital pulp therapy used to maintain pulp vitality. Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) is the gold standard pulp capping material, but has poor adhesion to dentin and mechanical properties, bacterial infiltration, formation of tunnel defects in the pulp resorption, and dentin bridge. Therefore, it is necessary to develop alternative therapy, namely, a combination of acemannan sponge and calcium phosphate cement (CPC)-calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CSH) for reparative dentin formation.
Purpose This article describes the potential combination of acemannan sponge and CPC-CSH as DPC alternative materials for reparative dentin formation.
Reviews Acemannan extracted from aloe vera exhibits anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and cytocompatibility properties. As DPC material, acemannan induces pulp proliferation and differentiation to osteoblast-like, growth factor synthesis, and promotes reparative dentin formation. However, acemannan sponge is radiolucent, allowing misinterpretation between pulp and acemannan sponge. CPC can be combined with CSH to shorten the setting time. CPC-CSH is radiopaque, has good compressive strength, and biocompatibility. CPC-CSH is a calcium-based material with neutral pH that can induce the dentin bridge formation. CPC-CSH showed good bioactivity because it induces the formation of apatite which plays a significant part in dentin and pulp regeneration.
Conclusion The combination of acemannan sponge and CPC-CSH has the potential as DPC alternative materials for reparative dentin formation.
Keywordsacemannan sponge - calcium phosphate cement-calcium sulfate hemihydrate - direct pulp capping - dental caries - reparative dentine - human and health
A.I.: research concept and design, data analysis and interpretation, writing the article, critical revision of the article, final approval of article. A.I.P.: research concept and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, writing the article, critical revision of the article, final approval of article. M.R.A.A.: collection and/or assembly of data, writing the article, critical revision of the article, final approval of article. N.A.A.: research concept and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, writing the article. A.A.: research concept and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, writing the article. Y.A.A.: writing the article, critical revision of the article, final approval of article. A.S.A.: critical revision of the article, final approval of article.
Article published online:
16 May 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 World Health Organization. World Health Assembly Resolution paves the way for better oral health care. World Health Organization. 2020. Accessed April 7, 2023, at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs396/en/
- 2 Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Laporan Nasional Riskesdas 2018. Lembaga Penerbit: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan 2019. 2019. p, 204
- 3 Teshome A, Muche A, Girma B. Prevalence of dental caries and associated factors in East Africa, 2000-2020: systematic review and meta-analysis. Front Public Health 2021; 9: 645091
- 4 Vu TT, Nguyen MT, Sangvanich P, Nguyen QN, Thunyakitpisal P. Acemannan used as an implantable biomaterial for vital pulp therapy of immature permanent teeth induced continued root formation. Pharmaceutics 2020; 12 (07) 1-16 , 644
- 5 Goldberg M. Indirect and direct pulp capping: reactionary vs reparative dentins. JSM Dentist 2020; 8 (01) 1119
- 6 Chang HH, Chang YJ, Yeh CL, Lin TA, Lin CP. Development of calcium phosphate/calcium sulfate biphasic biomedical material with hyaluronic acid containing collagenase and simvastatin for vital pulp therapy. Dent Mater 2020; 36 (06) 755-764
- 7 Aguilar P, Linsuwanont P. Vital pulp therapy in vital permanent teeth with cariously exposed pulp: a systematic review. J Endod 2011; 37 (05) 581-587
- 8 Songsiripradubboon S, Banlunara W, Sangvanich P, Trairatvorakul C, Thunyakitpisal P. Clinical, radiographic, and histologic analysis of the effects of acemannan used in direct pulp capping of human primary teeth: short-term outcomes. Odontology 2016; 104 (03) 329-337
- 9 Chang KC, Chang CC, Chen WT, Hsu CK, Lin FH, Lin CP. Development of calcium phosphate/sulfate biphasic cement for vital pulp therapy. Dent Mater 2014; 30 (12) e362-e370
- 10 Shieh TM, Hsu SM, Chang KC, Chen WC, Lin DJ. Calcium phosphate cement with antimicrobial properties and radiopacity as an endodontic material. Materials (Basel) 2017; 10 (11) 1256
- 11 Sicca C, Bobbio E, Quartuccio N, Nicolò G, Cistaro A. Prevention of dental caries: a review of effective treatments. J Clin Exp Dent 2016; 8 (05) e604-e610
- 12 Tahir L, Nazir R. Dental caries, etiology, and remedy through natural resources [Internet]. Dental Caries - Diagnosis, Prevention and Management. InTech; 2018. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.75937
- 13 Conrads G. About I. Pathophysiology of dental caries. Monogr Oral Sci 2018(27): 1-10
- 14 Sachidananda MP, Mallya S. Microbiology and clinical implications of dental caries–a review. J Evol Med Dent Sci 2020; 9 (48) 3670-3676
- 15 Brizuela C, Ormeño A, Cabrera C. et al. Direct pulp capping with calcium hydroxide, mineral trioxide aggregate, and biodentine in permanent young teeth with caries: a randomized clinical trial. J Endod 2017; 43 (11) 1776-1780
- 16 Schwendicke F, Brouwer F, Schwendicke A, Paris S. Different materials for direct pulp capping: systematic review and meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. Clin Oral Investig 2016; 20 (06) 1121-1132
- 17 Mali RS, Mangala TM. Histological analysis of reparative dentin formation using bio dentine and MTA as pulp capping agent: an in vivo study. J Crit Rev 2020; 7 (07) 653-657
- 18 Ahmed ME, Ali A, El-Bayoumy SY, Al-Azhar AAE. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of acemannan as direct pulp capping material in young permanent teeth. J Dent Sci 2020; 23 (04) 415-421
- 19 Qureshi A. E Soujanya, Nandakumar, Pratapkumar, Sambashivarao. Recent advances in pulp capping materials: an overview. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; Jan; 8 (01) 316-321
- 20 Dubey A. Calcium hydroxide in dentistry: a review. Chetinad Health City Medical Journal. 2016; 5: 30-33
- 21 Chandrasekhar H, Sharma S. Efficient agents for pulp protection: a review. J Pharmaceut Sci Res 2016; 8 (11) 1308-1311
- 22 Ariesdyanata C, Lunardhi CGJ, Subiwahjudi A. Perbedaan Angiogenesis Pada Pulpa Setelah Aplikasi Ekstrak Propolis Dan Kalsium Hidroksida. Conserv Dentist J 2019; 9 (01) 48
- 23 Jung JK, Gwon GJ, Neupane S. et al. Bortezomib facilitates reparative dentin formation after pulp access cavity preparation in mouse molar. J Endod 2017; 43 (12) 2041-2047
- 24 Kurniasari A. Efektivitas Pasta Biji Kopi Robusta (coffea robusta) Sebagai Bahan Direct Pulp Capping Terhadap Jumlah Sel Makrofag Dan Sel Limfosit Pulpa Gigi. Fakultas Kedokteran Gigi, Universitas Jember; 2017
- 25 Liu C, Cui Y, Pi F, Cheng Y, Guo Y, Qian H. Extraction, purification, structural characteristics, biological activities and pharmacological applications of acemannan, a polysaccharide from aloe vera: a review. Molecules 2019; 24 (08) 1554
- 26 Le Van C, Thi Thu HP, Sangvanich P, Chuenchompoonut V, Thunyakitpisal P. Acemannan induces rapid early osseous defect healing after apical surgery: a 12-month follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. J Dent Sci 2020; 15 (03) 302-309
- 27 Taschieri S, Corbella S, Tsesis I, Bortolin M, Del Fabbro M. Effect of guided tissue regeneration on the outcome of surgical endodontic treatment of through-and-through lesions: a retrospective study at 4-year follow-up. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 15 (03) 153-159
- 28 Elhag A, El-Bayoumy S, Eisa AE. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of acemannan as direct pulp capping material in young permanent teeth. Al-Azhar J Dental Sci 2020; 23 (04) 415-421
- 29 Boonyagul S, Banlunara W, Sangvanich P, Thunyakitpisal P. Effect of acemannan, an extracted polysaccharide from aloe vera, on BMSCs proliferation, differentiation, extracellular matrix synthesis, mineralization, and bone formation in a tooth extraction model. Odontology 2014; 102 (02) 310-317
- 30 Songsiripradubboon S, Kladkaew S, Trairatvorakul C. et al. Stimulation of dentin regeneration by using acemannan in teeth with lipopolysaccharide-induced pulp inflammation. J Endod 2017; 43 (07) 1097-1103
- 31 Al-Sanabani JS, Madfa AA, Al-Sanabani FA. Application of calcium phosphate materials in dentistry. Int J Biomater 2013; 2013: 876132
- 32 Gu Y, Zhuang R, Xie X, Bai Y. Osteogenic stimulation of human dental pulp stem cells with self-setting biphasic calcium phosphate cement. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2020; 108 (04) 1669-1678
- 33 Xu HH, Wang P, Wang L. et al. Calcium phosphate cements for bone engineering and their biological properties. Bone Res 2017; 5 (01) 17056
- 34 Ulusoy AT, Bayrak S, Bodrumlu EH. Clinical and radiological evaluation of calcium sulfate as direct pulp capping material in primary teeth. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2014; 15 (02) 127-131
- 35 Sinjab YH, Sinjab KH, Navarrete-Bedoya C, Gutmann JL. Calcium sulfate applications in dentistry: a literature review. Endodontology 2020; 32 (04) 167
- 36 Li Z, Cao L, Fan M, Xu Q. Direct pulp capping with calcium hydroxide or mineral trioxide aggregate: a meta-analysis. J Endod 2015; 41 (09) 1412-1417
- 37 Song M, Yu B, Kim S. et al. Clinical and molecular perspectives of reparative dentin formation: lessons learned from pulp-capping materials and the emerging roles of calcium. Dent Clin North Am 2017; 61 (01) 93-110
- 38 Vallés M, Mercadé M, Duran-Sindreu F, Bourdelande JL, Roig M. Color stability of white mineral trioxide aggregate. Clin Oral Investig 2013; 17 (04) 1155-1159
- 39 Gonna S, Deraz E, Ghoname N, Kabbash A, Yagi A. Acemannan and formocresol pulpotomies in primary teeth: a comparative histopathological study. Gastroenterol Hepatol Res 2017; 6 (04) 2386-2391