Extensive Rehabilitation of a Medically Compromised Patient with Vitamin-D Deficiency Using Dental Implants: A Case ReportFunding This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Patients often report to dental practice with a wide range of chief complaints. At times, young adult patients, seemingly fit clinically, report extensively damaged dentition. It is important that such patients be evaluated more extensively and the etiology if any, for such debilitated dentition, must be assessed. Dental implants are a successful treatment modality that helps to restore the function and esthetics of a patient. Early dental implant failure refers to the dental implant's failure to osseointegrate with the native bone during the phase of healing. This article describes one such young adult patient of 34 years, who presented with a history of dental implant failures without any underlying systemic comorbidities. The patient's elaborate history was taken and it was found that the patient had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Following treatment of the deficiency, the case was managed effectively with the help of a maxillary cement-retained implant-supported full-arch fixed prosthesis and, an implant and tooth-supported mandibular cast partial denture.
Artikel online veröffentlicht:
30. Mai 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Mangano FG, Mastrangelo P, Luongo F, Blay A, Tunchel S, Mangano C. Aesthetic outcome of immediately restored single implants placed in extraction sockets and healed sites of the anterior maxilla: a retrospective study on 103 patients with 3 years of follow-up. Clin Oral Implants Res 2017; 28 (03) 272-282
- 2 Mangano C, Iaculli F, Piattelli A, Mangano F. Fixed restorations supported by Morse-taper connection implants: a retrospective clinical study with 10-20 years of follow-up. Clin Oral Implants Res 2015; 26 (10) 1229-1236
- 3 Chrcanovic BR, Kisch J, Albrektsson T, Wennerberg A. A retrospective study on clinical and radiological outcomes of oral implants in patients followed up for a minimum of 20 years. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2018; 20 (02) 199-207
- 4 Bra-nemark P-I, Zarb GA, Albrektsson T, Rosen HM. Tissue-integrated prostheses. osseointegration in clinical dentistry. Plast Reconstr Surg 1986; 77 (03) 496-497
- 5 Javed F, Malmstrom H, Kellesarian SV, Al-Kheraif AA, Vohra F, Romanos GE. Efficacy of vitamin D3 supplementation on osseointegration of implants. Implant Dent 2016; 25 (02) 281-287
- 6 Lai HC, Zhang ZY, Zhuang LF, Wang F, Liu X, Pu YP. Early loading of ITI implants supporting maxillary fixed full-arch prostheses. Clin Oral Implants Res 2008; 19 (11) 1129-1134
- 7 Mijiritsky E, Lorean A, Mazor Z, Levin L. Implant tooth-supported removable partial denture with at least 15-year long-term follow-up. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2015; 17 (05) 917-922
- 8 de Souza RF, Bedos C, Esfandiari S. et al. Single-implant overdentures retained by the Novaloc attachment system: study protocol for a mixed-methods randomized cross-over trial. Trials 2018; 19 (01) 243