Subscribe to RSS
Recurrent Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma and the Role of SurgeryFunding A.S. is supported by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders training grant T32DC000027. This research was supported (in part) by the Intramural Research Program of the Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute.
Recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma (rNPC) presents unique challenges as reirradiation comes with significant treatment-related morbidity in swallowing, middle ear function, and large-vessel integrity. Advances in endoscopic technology have made surgery for rNPC an increasingly viable option for select patients and may play a role in providing a better quality of life to patients with this challenging disease. In carefully selected patients, endoscopic and open surgical approaches may provide comparable disease control while mitigating long-term treatment-related morbidity.
Informed consent was obtained from the patient for images and video presented in this article.
Received: 22 May 2023
Accepted: 29 May 2023
Article published online:
13 July 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Wang D, Liao M, Wu J. et al. Salvage treatments for locally recurrent nasopharyngeal cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Head Neck 2023; 45 (02) 503-520
- 2 Wang EW, Zanation AM, Gardner PA. et al. ICAR: endoscopic skull-base surgery. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2019; 9 (S3): S145-S365
- 3 Li G, Wang J, Tang H. et al. Comparing endoscopic surgeries with open surgeries in terms of effectiveness and safety in salvaging residual or recurrent nasopharyngeal cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Head Neck 2020; 42 (11) 3415-3426
- 4 Castelnuovo P, Dallan I, Bignami M. et al. Nasopharyngeal endoscopic resection in the management of selected malignancies: ten-year experience. Rhinology 2010; 48 (01) 84-89
- 5 Hadad G, Bassagasteguy L, Carrau RL. et al. A novel reconstructive technique after endoscopic expanded endonasal approaches: vascular pedicle nasoseptal flap. Laryngoscope 2006; 116 (10) 1882-1886
- 6 London Jr NR, Chan JYW, Carrau RL. Transpalatal approaches to the skull base and reconstruction: indications, technique, and associated morbidity. Semin Plast Surg 2020; 34 (02) 99-105
- 7 Wu PA, Yuan GY, Zhou RM. et al. Extracranial/intracranial vascular bypass in the treatment of head and neck cancer - related carotid blowout syndrome. Laryngoscope 2021; 131 (07) 1548-1556