Subscribe to RSS
Understanding the Gap Between Nursing Workforce in the United States and Population Needs—A Policy Brief
Purpose This report is intended to analyze the root causes for the current gap between the nursing workforce and population needs in the United States. It aims to consolidate what is known about these contributing reasons and provide evidence-based recommendations for action.
Methods The report utilized the Sample, Phenomenon of Interest, Design, Evaluation, Research type framework to develop the research question and the 5 Whys methodology for the root cause analysis.
Results This report highlighted six major causative problems, including workforce market mismatch, poor financing design, inadequate governance, flawed technologies, insufficient research, and suboptimal service delivery. A detailed evaluation of root causes with supported evidence is presented.
Conclusion The report provided seven actionable recommendations based on the analysis: (1) strengthening the nursing role in advancing equity, (2) investing in nursing well-being, (3) changing policies and payment structure, (4) including nursing in technology design, (5) strengthening nursing education, (6) developing a robust public health emergencies preparedness plan, and (7) investing in relevant research.
Article published online:
27 September 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Tello J, Barbazza E. Health Services Delivery: A Concept Note. Copenhagen:: WHO Regional Office for Europe;; 2015
- 2 Truth AU. No Health Without a Workforce. World Health Organisation (WHO) Report.; 2013: 1-04
- 3 Zhang X, Tai D, Pforsich H, Lin VW. United States Registered Nurse Workforce Report Card and Shortage Forecast: a revisit. Am J Med Qual 2018; 33 (03) 229-236
- 4 Snavely TM. A brief economic analysis of the looming nursing shortage in the United States. Nurs Econ 2016; 34 (02) 98-100
- 5 World Health Organization. Global Strategy on Human Resources for Health: Workforce 2030;. 2016
- 6 Wakefield M, Williams DR, Le Menestrel S. The Future of Nursing 2020–2030: Charting A Path to Achieve Health Equity. National Academy of Sciences; 2021
- 7 America's Health Rankings. Premature death racial disparity. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/annual/measure/YPLL_Disparity/state/ALL
- 8 Langlois ÉV, Daniels K, Akl EA. World Health Organization. Evidence synthesis for health policy and systems: a methods guide. World Health Organization; 2018
- 9 USAHS. . The 2021 American Nursing Shortage: a data study. Accessed April 22, 2022: https://www.usa.edu/blog/nursing-shortage/
- 10 Statista. Distribution of registered nurses in the United States from 2014 to 2019, by gender. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1227142/distribution-of-registered-nurses-in-the-us-by-gender/
- 11 Institute for Health Improvement. 5 Whys: finding the root cause. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Tools/5-Whys-Finding-the-Root-Cause.aspx
- 12 Foley Library Gonzaga University. SPIDER: mixed methods qualitative research questions. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://researchguides.gonzaga.edu/c.php?g=957005&p=6908049
- 13 World Health Organization. Everybody's Business–Strengthening Health Systems to Improve Health Outcomes: WHO's Framework for Action. 2007
- 14 Feke T. When medicare won't pay for nursing home care. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.verywellhealth.com/when-medicare-won-t-pay-for-nursing-home-care-4140074
- 15 Yang YT, Mason DJ. COVID-19's impact on nursing shortages, the rise of travel nurses, and price gouging. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/forefront.20220125.695159/
- 16 Bradley University. The nursing shortage and how it will impact patient care. Accessed April 22, 2022 at:: https://onlinedegrees.bradley.edu/blog/the-nursing-shortage-and-how-it-will-impact-patient-care/
- 17 American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Nursing Shortage. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.aacnnursing.org/news-information/fact-sheets/nursing-shortage
- 18 Health Leaders. Tipping point: As Kansas grants full practice authority to nurse practitioners, most states have now adopted it. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/nursing/tipping-point-kansas-grants-full-practice-authority-nurse-practitioners-most-states-have-now
- 19 US Department of Health and Human Services. Supply And Demand Projections of The Nursing Workforce: 2014–2030. Health Resources and Services Administration. 2017
- 20 Spurlock Jr D. The nursing shortage and the future of nursing education is in our hands. J Nurs Educ 2020; 59 (06) 303-304
- 21 InTouch Health. How Telehealth Can Ease the Nationwide Nursing Shortage. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://intouchhealth.com/nationwide-nursing-shortage-eased-with-telehealth-services/
- 22 Yen PY, Pearl N, Jethro C. et al. Nurses' stress associated with nursing activities and electronic health records: data triangulation from continuous stress monitoring, perceived workload, and a time motion study. In AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings 2019 (Vol. 2019952). . American Medical Informatics Association; 2019: 952
- 23 Davis DA, Napier MD. Strategically addressing the nurse shortage: a closer look at the nurse funders collaborative. Health Aff (Millwood) 2008; 27 (03) 876-881
- 24 25ABC. In-depth: rural hospital labor & delivery units close as staffing shortages grow. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/in-depth-rural-hospital-labor-and-delivery-units-close-as-staffing-shortages-grow
- 25 Smith Z. How the nursing shortage affects patient care and healthcare services. Accessed April 22, 2022 at: https://nursegrid.com/blog/how-the-nursing-shortage-affects-patient-care-and-healthcare-services/
- 26 Scheffler R, Bruckner T, Spetz J. The Labour Market for Human Resources for Health in low-and middle-income countries. Human Resources for Health Observer; 2012: 11
- 27 World Health Organisation. State of the World's Nursing 2020. 2020
- 28 World Health Organisation. Strengthening Nursing in Primary Care in Poland. 2016