© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Identification of Dryopteris crassirhizoma and the Adulterant Species Based on cpDNA rbcL and Translated Amino Acid Sequences
Received: April 1, 2007
Revised: July 10, 2007
Accepted: July 11, 2007
23 August 2007 (eFirst)
Dry rhizome of Dryopteris crassirhizoma Nakai (Dryopteridaceae), also known as Guan Zhong, is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine used in the treatment of viral disease. But the dry rhizomes of Woodwardia japonica (L. f.) Sm., Osmunda japonica Thunb. and Cyrtomium fortunei J. Sm. are also used as Guan Zhong in local areas. The adulterants are similar to Dryopteris crassirhizoma. It is difficult to identify the botanical origin of these herbs. In our study, sequences of the cpDNA rbcL gene were determined and analyzed for Dryopteris crassirhizoma and adulterant species, where nineteen molecular markers had been determined. Also, amino acid sequences translated from the rbcL gene were analyzed and four important molecular markers were detected. Based on cpDNA rbcL and translated amino acid sequences, Dryopteris crassirhizoma can easily be distinguished from the other three fern species.
- 1 Yang C Y, Li C D. Survey of sources and original plants of traditional Chinese herbal drugs Guan Zhong. Bull Acad Mil Med Sci. 1993; 17 202-6.
- 2 Baldwin B G, Sanderson M J, Porter J M, Wojciechowski M F, Campbell C S, Donoghue M J. The ITS region of nuclear ribosomal DNA: a valuable source of evidence on angiosperm phylogeny. AnnMissouri Bot Gard. 1995; 82 247-77.
- 3 Pryer K M, Smith A R, Hunt J S, Dubuisson J Y. RbcL data reveal two monophyletic groups of filmy ferns (Filicopsida:Hymenophyllaceae). Am J Bot. 2001; 88 1118-30.
- 4 Xu H, Wang Z T, Ding X Y, Zhou K Y, Xu L S. Differentiation of Dendrobium species used as ”Huangcao Shihu” by rDNA ITS sequence analysis. Planta Med. 2006; 72 89-92.
- 5 Zhao Z L, Zhou K Y, Dong H, Xu L S. Characters of nrDNA ITS region sequences of fruits of Alpinia galanga and their adulterants. Planta Med. 2001; 67 381-3.
- 6 Zhao Z L, Wang Z T, Xu L S, Zhou K Y. Studies on the molecular markers of rhizomes of some Alpinia species. Planta Med. 2002; 68 574-6.
- 7 Li C X, Lu S G. Phylogenetic analysis of Dryopteridaceae based on chloroplast rbcL sequences. Acta Phytotax Sin. 2006; 44 503-15.
- 8 Geiger J M, Ranker T A. Molecular phylogenetics and historical biogeography of Hawaiian Dryopteris (Dryopteridaceae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2005; 34 392-407.
- 9 Doyle J J, Doyle J L. A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem Bull. 1987; 19 11-5.
- 10 Little D P, Barrington D S. Major evolutionary events in the origin and diversification of the fern genus Polystichum (Dryopteridaceae). Am J Bot. 2003; 90 508-14.
Prof. Dr. Zhao Zhili
Department of Pharmacognosy
College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
People’s Republic of China